News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida Road Trip

Started by leroys73, December 07, 2015, 09:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leroys73

My special needs daughter and I gave my wife a break over T-day.  We took a 2800 mile motorcycle trip from Dallas to south Florida to visit my very special aunt who had been sick. 

It was mostly an interstate or interstate like highway trip.  :sleep:.  I-20 to Jackson, MS the US 49 and 98 to Mobile to pick up I-10.  We did drop down to Apalachicola to ride 98.  We stopped near Carrabelle where during WW II our soldiers trained for the D-Day invasion on Dog Island. We cruised over to Perry, then 19 into St. Pete, Desoto State Park, and the Sunshine Skyway Bridge connecting with 75 to Nokomis/Venice.

Aunt was doing fine.  Her son and his wife were in from south Georgia so I got to visit with them.  I haven't seen them in 10 years.  We also visited a couple of other relatives in Tampa and Plant City. 

After three days in Nokomis we headed back home.  Back roads to Tallahassee then I-10, I-12, I-10 to I-49 then I-20 to Big D.  We did make the trip across the Lake Pontchartrain Bridge.  That was the first time by motorcycle we had crossed it. 

When my daughter goes with me on a motorcycle trip it makes for a slow journey.  Each stop take 3 or 4 times longer.  By car it is not such an ordeal since not so many clothes must be worn and removed for RR stops.  But she did well and it was a good trip. I needed another road trip by motorcycle before it gets too cold so this was a good one.

I had some pictures but I had trouble retrieving them.

'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.