Alternate travel routes that go outside the US.

Started by RobbieL2415, March 10, 2019, 12:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

The routes don't necessarily have to be faster.  But the routes must start and end in the Lower 48.  Destinations must be cities that have significant economical or cultural ties to the nation.  For Example:

Detroit to Buffalo via ON 401, ON 403, Queen Elizabeth Way
El Paso to Yuma via Fed. Hwy 45, Fed. Hwy 2, Sonora State Hwy 45, US 95.

oscar

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 10, 2019, 12:45:37 PM
The routes don't necessarily have to be faster.  But the routes must start and end in the Lower 48.  Destinations must be cities that have significant economical or cultural ties to the nation.  For Example:

Detroit to Buffalo via ON 401, ON 403, Queen Elizabeth Way
El Paso to Yuma via Fed. Hwy 45, Fed. Hwy 2, Sonora State Hwy 45, US 95.

Also, San Diego to Yuma, via CA 905, Fed. Hwys. 2D and 2, US 95. I drove that as a change-of-pace, having been bored to death on multiple trips on I-8.

Lesser destinations, but Baudette MN to International Falls MN via MN 72, ON 11, and US 71. I told customs agents at both ends I was doing that just for a shortcut compared to MN 11. They believed me, and waved me through.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

I want to say we've had this sort of topic before....because I recall mentioning in the previous version that my direct route home to Minnesota from Vermont would take me across Quebec and Ontario to Sault Ste. Marie.

Quote from: OscarLesser destinations, but Baudette MN to International Falls MN via MN 72, ON 11, and US 71. I told customs agents at both ends I was doing that just for a shortcut compared to MN 11. They believed me, and waved me through.

Doesn't always work.  Doing this westbound, Canada gave me no issue but US CBP subjected me to a 30 minute search when I came back in at Baudette.

webny99

Quote from: froggie on March 10, 2019, 08:50:28 PM
I want to say we've had this sort of topic before....because I recall mentioning in the previous version that my direct route home to Minnesota from Vermont would take me across Quebec and Ontario to Sault Ste. Marie.

We have, in the travel board. I found it by searching "Buffalo Detroit"  :-P
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=23720.0

jp the roadgeek

Conversely, a trip from Montreal to the Maritimes is shorter cutting through Maine than heading north on A-20 to A-85/NB 2.  If A-10 were ever extended to Coburn Gore and I-98 were built across Maine, it would be the preferred route. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.