News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Disney Attractions

Started by roadman65, September 18, 2019, 10:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I, even though think that WDW and DL are both way too expensive and do not wish to piss away money on what many come to love, they still have interesting rides and attractions.  Some, even though are to be secret, its really no secret such as Peppers Ghost effects in the Haunted Mansion and such.

One secret I found out (that is not well hidden lol) is the stretch room in the haunted attractions in both Orlando and Anaheim.  In Florida the ceiling gets raised during the quick show, while in California the floor gets lowered to give the room stretching effect.  Plus the mantle moves as well at half the speed the floor (or ceiling in WDW) moves to give the proportion needed to keep the mantle in the middle of the wall still in center after the distance between the floor and ceiling becomes greater.

However, the main reason for the concept of the stretch room actually came about because of Disneyland's small size and that it was not an original 1955 attraction, but opened in 1969 some 14 years later.  Disney, to keep park guests from seeing the City of Anaheim during their visit, built a berm which is the grade of the circular Disneyland Railroad.  When the Haunted attraction was built there was no room inside the berm for the attraction, so it was built outside it.  Therefore to get the guests across the railroad grade, they built a tunnel under it, but to get the guests of that particular attraction there they needed a way to get them down 18 feet to accomplish this feat.  So rather than use a plain old elevator, they conceived the stretch room with the floor lowering the guests the needed elevation to enter the tunnel (which is disguised as the hall of pictures inside the mansion attraction).

Being the elevator room became a great hit, they duplicated it in WDW, but because they did not need to get guests under grade, they did not need an elevator to do it, so the ceiling gets raised instead.  Walt Disney World has all the room it needs to expand and add on if need be, unlike the original park.

I find for myself that discoveries like this are quite fascinating and to me the science end of the attractions are more appealing that the experience of the attractions unlike many people who love the effects.   Too bad the Journey into Inner Space was closed to allow for Star Tours as I always wondered how they gave the illusion to the people on the omnimover were shrinking inside a giant microscope as I remember that one vaguely as a youngster back in 1968.

What attractions do many of you find appealing either to ride or the engineering aspect of it?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

I do find the Orwellian nature of Lake Buena Vista being incorporated as a City intriguing.

SoCal Kid

Ive been on Big Thunder Mountain in Disneyland California. Its very fun and I often question how its physically possible for such a ride to exist and be considered safe.
Are spurs of spurs of spurs of loops of spurs of loops a thing? ;)

ClassicHasClass

My wife and I enjoyed the MK version of Big Thunder more than Disneyland's, but on the other hand we thought the Disneyland versions of Splash Mountain and Space Mountain were better, and we thought the Seven Dwarves' Mine Train was kind of dull.

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 19, 2019, 12:23:52 AM
I do find the Orwellian nature of Lake Buena Vista being incorporated as a City intriguing.

Creeps me the hell out, and it's one of the things I point to whenever people question my reluctance to engage with Disney-owned companies. I don't even think that's the only town in Florida they own, is it?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 19, 2019, 01:13:00 AM

Creeps me the hell out, and it's one of the things I point to whenever people question my reluctance to engage with Disney-owned companies. I don't even think that's the only town in Florida they own, is it?

They also own neighboring Bay Lake, which is actually where all four parks are located even though their mailing addresses are Lake Buena Vista. I also was always a bit creeped out by the whole Epcot thing, and I'm glad it just became a theme park instead of the Disney-owned city of 20k it was originally envisioned as.

roadman65

I have been watching videos of that stretch room, and the construction of it is remarkable to make the thing work.  The walls are telescopic and move at different speeds to give it the stretch effect.  The vertical stripes on the wallpaper on the upper walls allows for it to move undetected as having them horizontal or a pattern would show movement to the eyes.

Also the reason why all are to step into the center so you cannot touch the wood paneling on the lower walls as they move up from the floor as the floor moves down.  Plus what is even more interesting is the fact that even though the floor and walls are independent of each other the hydraulic cylinder beneath the floor that pulls it down is the driving mechanism of the walls too!  The walls move down too with the floor as only the ceiling in Disneyland is stationary.  Obviously a torque mechanism allows for the pieces to move at different speeds while all generally moving.

I am guessing at this, but to achieve the effect of the elevator doorway getting taller is that the frame around the door is attached to the walls of the room and are partially hidden beneath the floor when the room is at the upper (ground) floor while the inside elevator doors are long to begin with.  When you first board the elevator the door extends upward behind the wall above the doorway.  As the floor drops and the walls drop at a slower speed it begins to extend the elevator door frame upward revealing the hidden part of the door slowly until the elevator gets to the basement at which point the whole door is exposed and the walls of the room are completely exposed too giving the whole room a stretched look.

If you think about it being that the room has paneling on the bottom and wallpaper on top that start out at a certain distance in length for both parts, then to have the perfect effect you must extend both in proportion to each other or have an unbalanced effect which would be ineffective.  If the mantle (which separates the two wall pieces) is a third of the way up from the floor to the ceiling then it would have to remain that even when extended as well.  If the upper part of the wall only expanded the bottom would then stay the same making it look like only the ceiling and upper walls only moved and not looking like the entire room expanded.

I have to say a great mind figured this one out and made a simple elevator ride into such an attraction by using simple means.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 89 on September 19, 2019, 01:17:22 AM

They also own neighboring Bay Lake, which is actually where all four parks are located even though their mailing addresses are Lake Buena Vista. I also was always a bit creeped out by the whole Epcot thing, and I'm glad it just became a theme park instead of the Disney-owned city of 20k it was originally envisioned as.

The whole Midgar/Delta City idea with Epcot is really bizarre.  Apparently you would Park your car at a perimeter station and take a monorail to the "core"  of the futurist urban living zone.  I'm to understand Epcot was to be constructed in such a way that all your needs could be met without leaving.

But that said Florida does have other Parks that somehow are cities; Weeki Wachee comes to mind also out on US 19. 

1995hoo

I believe Disney developed the nearby town of Celebration, Florida, but divested themselves of most of their interest and involvement.

I think the aspect of the original EPCOT concept that creeped me out was the idea that city personnel would have access to your living space to make "improvements"–for example, multiple stories about the concept talk about how you might come home from work to find all new appliances in your unit. It made me wonder at what point they'd have started making rules about certain things being contraband–for example, it's not hard to envision them prohibiting consumption of beer or liquor–and then searching your unit for those things in order to confiscate them. I can't help but picturing those video screens in 1984 that allowed the authorities to watch everything people did in their homes.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Oh Walt is probably rolling over in his grave that his dreams never came true.

Celebration BTW is a master planned community, but people own their property and Disney has no jurisdiction over them. Osceola County maintains the services and roads and I believe KUA provides power and water to the development and not RDIC like Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista.

Yes Disney not only owns ESPN or ABC, but in fact owns two towns incorporated in Florida to make it all creepy.

Sheryl Crowe

SP Cook

Disney civics:

The main difference between Disneyland and WDW is that Disneyland is surrounded by town.  It is impossible to maintain the illusion if you look in the wrong direction and there are 100s of non-Disney hotels and restaurants across the street.  WDW is huge and many, if not most, visitors are semi-trapped on the property for a week, not just going to the parks but staying and eating as well.

Understand that when Disney showed up, Orlando was a poor area of old people trailer parks and agriculture.  Disney knew this, and having bought up a huge amount of land in secret, told the state they could have what they wanted, or sell it back to the farmers and move on. 
They got what they wanted.  Which is 3 political entities.

The main one is the Reedy Creek Improvement District, or RCID.  It has, pretty much, the powers of a county, and frees Disney from taxes and regulations.  Of roads interest, it builds all the roads inside RCID, which is why they get away with the whimsical non-standard road signage.  Its board is made up of 5 senior Disney employees, each of which own 5 acres of swampland.  They are the only owners of land in RCID besides Disney itself.  They have their own fire and rescue, pay the state and the two counties for police work, do their own health inspections, approve their own construction permits, and so on. 

The other two entities are the towns of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista.  In which much about 30 much lower level Disney employees rent mobile home parking sports from the company (meaning they vote in the town elections, but not for RCID board).  These people vote for a town government that gives Disney the powers of a town, and more importantly, keep any other towns from annexing the property. 

Celebration is a different story.  It is a (mostly failed) upper-middle class housing development.  Disney took the property out of the RCID because it did not want to risk losing control of RCID, nor provide services to Celebration.  It is nothing more than just another central Florida housing development.   It did not do well because it is fairly poorly located for the types of jobs that a person would have to have to afford to live there due to the traffic; had poorly built houses; and really bad hippy-dippy new age schools.  Disney no longer owns any part of the place, except for the POTS phone company and the electric utility.  (Back in the day when POTS was all there was, Disney had its own phones in its hotels and pay phones in the parks, which were the "Lake Buena Vista Phone Company" seperate from Southern Bell, and long distance to everywhere, including Orlando.)

As to the parks, everybody should go if they have kids at each of the kids' different stages of life.  I am past that now, so I doubt I shall ever see it again. 

catch22

I had little idea of the story of LBV's origins as a community until I had to work with behind-the-scenes support while setting up telecommunications for a convention.

I had to design and implement voice and data support for 800 execs for one of the Big 3 auto companies for a 4-day strategy meeting in WDW.  The planning meetings were at one of the resort hotels.  It became evident to me during one of them that the phone company team, the hotel staff, the convention center coordinator and everyone else in the room except me was a WDW employee in one fashion or another.   Fun fact:  All of them had the standard Disney name badges, even the phone company manager.  He filled me in on the Reedy Creek Improvement District history while giving me a tour of WDW's telephone central office (also Disney-owned, LKBNFLXB for those familiar with CLLI codes).

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 19, 2019, 09:54:22 AM
I think the aspect of the original EPCOT concept that creeped me out was the idea that city personnel would have access to your living space to make "improvements"–for example, multiple stories about the concept talk about how you might come home from work to find all new appliances in your unit.

I don't think it ever went past the "idea phase"; Sci-Fi whimsy, lots of media presentation and fanfare, but nothing more. There was Celebration - more trouble than they'd planned for - which is just one big Home Owner's Association. There's been no other types of this kind of Disney development other than more hotels, which affords them more control over people's actions and certainly their wallets.

Disney fanatics (and foes) have a habit of making more out of Walt's visions which never really saw the light of day.

We still wind up at WDW roughly once a year, but I can't stomach more than a (three-day) weekend of it anymore. Sure, I enjoy a Dole Whip, a waltz through the Haunted Mansion, riding the Thunder/Space Mountians, geek out for the Star Tours, and enjoy a nighttime parade with a decent vantage point. Cooling off in the Carousel of Progress is a reminder of our past, and the line is never long. And despite the tackiness of it all, photography is still a lot of fun there.

But the transportation system is overloaded in places, there's lots of attractions which have sadly disappeared, the waiting lines are longer, the rules and regulations are more constrained. It all costs more than ever before, as every experience has become further monetized and options have to be meticulously planned out in advance. Much of this seems like less of a vacation.

The kids are getting older, and are starting to prefer more than just theme parks with their spare time. After many Mondays and Fridays spent waiting on lines and dealing with crowds, I'm less inclined to actually enjoy doing anything more than being at the pool or getting some rest.

Scott5114

Quote from: SP Cook on September 19, 2019, 10:47:38 AM
Understand that when Disney showed up, Orlando was a poor area of old people trailer parks and agriculture.  Disney knew this, and having bought up a huge amount of land in secret, told the state they could have what they wanted, or sell it back to the farmers and move on. 
They got what they wanted.  Which is 3 political entities.

The main one is the Reedy Creek Improvement District, or RCID.  It has, pretty much, the powers of a county, and frees Disney from taxes and regulations.  Of roads interest, it builds all the roads inside RCID, which is why they get away with the whimsical non-standard road signage.  Its board is made up of 5 senior Disney employees, each of which own 5 acres of swampland.  They are the only owners of land in RCID besides Disney itself.  They have their own fire and rescue, pay the state and the two counties for police work, do their own health inspections, approve their own construction permits, and so on. 

This right here is what gives me the heebie-jeebies. Disney has an interest in ensuring their health, building, etc. inspections come out good. And they're the ones doing the inspections. Why, Disney restaurants always get 100% on RCID health department inspections? Obviously that's on the level!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

I believe Disney developed the nearby town of Celebration, Florida, but divested themselves of most of their interest and involvement.

I think the aspect of the original EPCOT concept that creeped me out was the idea that city personnel would have access to your living space to make "improvements"–for example, multiple stories about the concept talk about how you might come home from work to find all new appliances in your unit. It made me wonder at what point they'd have started making rules about certain things being contraband–for example, it's not hard to envision them prohibiting consumption of beer or liquor–and then searching your unit for those things in order to confiscate them. I can't help but picturing those video screens in 1984 that allowed the authorities to watch everything people did in their homes.

I would probably be ok with this if they made it well known that all of this could happen.  At that point, it's pretty much like a reality TV show where you expect your life will be monitored and impacted 24/7.

Of course, people don't like reading the fine print.  Hell, people don't like reading the big, bold headline.  So even if they were ok with it at first, they will probably grow tired of wondering what they will be told to do next...or what would be done for them next.

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 19, 2019, 12:59:57 PM
This right here is what gives me the heebie-jeebies. Disney has an interest in ensuring their health, building, etc. inspections come out good. And they're the ones doing the inspections. Why, Disney restaurants always get 100% on RCID health department inspections? Obviously that's on the level!

One well known issue is whenever there's a significant injury or death at a Disney-owned park in Florida, Disney does their own investigation, not the state.   To be fair, in many states, the finding is usually quickly determined to be rider error and the ride will probably reopen in very short time.  But that's an independent state authority doing the investigation, and many states are pretty thorough in ride safety. 

But when Disney is inspecting Disney?  Don't expect much in the way of a public review and finding, and the pre-written summary probably already has the death attributed to the rider.   They'll simply fill in the name and date it, and everything will be fine tomorrow.

Brandon

What comes around, goes around, I guess.  Pullman, Ford, and others did this at the end of the 19th/beginning of the 20th century.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pullman_Company
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ford (see Five Dollar Day section)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

english si

Quote from: Brandon on September 19, 2019, 04:35:45 PMWhat comes around, goes around, I guess.  Pullman, Ford, and others did this at the end of the 19th/beginning of the 20th century.
Goes back older than that: model villages (no not [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bekonscot]tiny replicas of towns)[/url] are the ones mostly dating from the early-to-mid 19th century

The oldest model village (New Lanark) was where Dr Livingstone was born. Saltaire is additionally a World Heritage Site. But the most famous is Bournville as the name the chocolate company there gave its dark chocolate is the name of the village.

US 89

That's another thing that bothered me about Disney World: how the land was obtained in the first place. Essentially Disney created a bunch of random sub-companies to buy up the land in secret, and even the real estate agents negotiating these purchases didn't know who they were working for. In fact, when word of these massive land purchases first got out, the general speculation was that NASA was behind them given Orlando's proximity to the KSC.

formulanone

Quote from: US 89 on September 20, 2019, 02:17:00 PM

That's another thing that bothered me about Disney World: how the land was obtained in the first place. Essentially Disney created a bunch of random sub-companies to buy up the land in secret, and even the real estate agents negotiating these purchases didn't know who they were working for. In fact, when word of these massive land purchases first got out, the general speculation was that NASA was behind them given Orlando's proximity to the KSC.

Who cares? It was mostly fallow, unpopulated swampland to begin with. The story goes that if anyone found out, they'd probably pay much more for the land. If there really were several dummy corporations vying for nearby land, then they should have tried to make them bid for it...after all, "competitors" existed. So, thinking about it after the fact, Disney could have had their plan backfire. But there wasn't much there at the time, so I'm sure they made it up selling parcels to every hotel, restaurant, and gift shop proprietor over the next decade.

Nowadays, there would be a little more concern over wetland-destruction impact and stormwater discharge.

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 19, 2019, 01:11:48 PM

I would probably be ok with this if they made it well known that all of this could happen.  At that point, it's pretty much like a reality TV show where you expect your life will be monitored and impacted 24/7.

Sure, I agree with that. I didn't mean to imply I was creeped out by it because I viewed it as some sinister thing they were going to spring on unsuspecting people. Rather, I find it creepy for the reasons I stated and those reasons would have been sufficient for me to decline to move there had the city become a reality and had I had the opportunity to live in it.

Trying to conceal your identity when buying up land is hardly unique to Disney. Charles Ebbets did the same thing when he bought up the land in Flatbush (in an area then known as "Pigtown" that he found ideal because nine trolley lines converged there) to build the Brooklyn Dodgers' ballpark that came to bear his name.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: formulanone on September 20, 2019, 02:21:52 PM

Who cares? It was mostly fallow, unpopulated swampland to begin with.

The previous owners of that land cared.

Would you care if someone came to buy your land, only to find out later the company may have been willing to pay 5 times as much?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 21, 2019, 06:17:32 AM
Quote from: formulanone on September 20, 2019, 02:21:52 PM

Who cares? It was mostly fallow, unpopulated swampland to begin with.

The previous owners of that land cared.

Would you care if someone came to buy your land, only to find out later the company may have been willing to pay 5 times as much?

I'm sure people in Vineland cared a lot, Disney essentially drove that community into ghost town status.  A lot of people really also advocated for protection of the Green Swamp much like the Everglades. 

roadman65

What is more interesting is that the two entities that Disney's Reedy Creek Improvement District run, Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista are both chartered with the state as actually incorporated towns.    So after all this they (the Disney Company) run two town in the State of Florida.

Also 45 square miles of land is a big feat for any company to accomplish.  Although Disney himself envisioned it for something else at the time, it was not planned to be a vacation city, but what the models show on the defunct peoplemover ride in Disneyland and the still operating counterpart in Disney World.  It was to be the real Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow that Walt himself dreamed about building before he died of lung cancer.  Then nephew Roy did a bad job of honoring his uncle post death and then ABC's former Program Director Mr. Michael Eisner ruined it further and used 9/11 to lay off people so he could still collect billions from stock options where even if he kept many workers (or cast members) to stay on he would have still been a billionare but less of one.

Bottom line it was never developed as it should have and the city we all hoped to see will never be built.

Sheryl Crowe

RobbieL2415

The RCID is like some weird apocalyptic one-world government.  The District legally has to operate as an incoporated municipality but there's only a handful of private land plots and the owners of those plots just happen to be board of supervisors' members.  It's members are high-ranking Disney employees.  And while WDW is private property, the District, because it is a municipality, is not.  Which means the major roads that connect the parks together are public roads.

noelbotevera

Never been to a Disney park, never will. Why go to Disney when Cedar Point is closer and has more thrilling rides?

Oh, and Cedar Point has Pink's Hot Dogs. Now those I could eat for my last meal, not some overpriced EPCOT crap.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.