News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pianocello

Quote from: SilverMustang2011 on March 16, 2024, 08:09:15 PM
I'm also worried about the traffic signals on either side of the interchange, if the University Parkway DDI in Sarasota is anything to go by that creates a lot of congestion the DDI design can't fix.
I feel like the reason the Sarasota DDI doesn't function as well as intended is because there isn't any other way to get from one side of the Interstate to another. Which doesn't bode well for Sand Lake Rd either, since the nearest crossings on either side are a few miles away at Universal Blvd and Central Florida Pkwy.

It's unfortunate that a lot of traffic issues across Florida can be explained by the fact that there aren't a lot of streets that go through, but it's too late and/or costly to do anything about that.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

roadman65

Development in Florida was ad libbed. It wasn't carefully planned like the city and county proposing a road network to handle future growth.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Quote from: SilverMustang2011 on March 16, 2024, 08:09:15 PM
I bet it'll be somewhat safer when the loop ramp to SB Turkey Lake Rd from WB Sand Lake opens and the final road shoulders are in place, but I'm surprised they switched it to a DDI at this point in the process.

That is one complicated looking reverse jughandle *ducks*

roadman65

Right now that DDI must be clogging the current Turkey Lake Road intersection west of it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Well drove it and to answer my own question: yes. Gridlock at Turkey Lake.  Also, the traffic signals at the DDI were allowing WB Sand Lake an indefinite green while EB waited it for a long time.

Being DDIs are for left turning traffic, this intersection sees more straight through than turns, so IMO it's a waste to have it. More cars continue on Sand Lake than turns left onto I-4 ramps so a SPUI is more useful in this application.

Bad move on FDOT here.

Sheryl Crowe

ElishaGOtis

Quote from: roadman65 on March 22, 2024, 02:40:15 AM
Well drove it and to answer my own question: yes. Gridlock at Turkey Lake.  Also, the traffic signals at the DDI were allowing WB Sand Lake an indefinite green while EB waited it for a long time.

Being DDIs are for left turning traffic, this intersection sees more straight through than turns, so IMO it's a waste to have it. More cars continue on Sand Lake than turns left onto I-4 ramps so a SPUI is more useful in this application.

Bad move on FDOT here.

Right NOW there's more traffic going through. However, there's one variable that could change the overall ratio... Epic Universe (the new UOR theme park development) will be very close to said DDI. While there will still be a high volume of through traffic, the RATIO of thru traffic to turning traffic could change dramatically once the development fully opens (estimated Summer 2025). Not entirely sure though, just a thought  :hmmm:  :nod:
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

NE2

A short piece of SR 313 has been built...as CR 312.
Pedestrians and cyclists are prohibited as if it were a freeway (which is of course total bullshit, as it's the only reasonable access to the subdivision).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

Quote from: NJRoadfan on February 29, 2024, 09:36:22 PMMy travels today took me onto the Florida Turnpike for the first time. There be hills in this state! The widening north of FL-50 can't come fast enough though. Traffic (and pavement) is terrible on that stretch.

Based upon your recent posting history (when I have actually reading the forum in recent months), you relocated to Florida? Florida's Turnpike north of Minneola used to be a nice drive. Rolling hills with a reprieve in traffic from the Orlando metropolitan area. Then sprawl accelerated in Lake, and an exit to benefit developers opened for Minneola.

The Villages are building a stupid amount of development southeast along Florida's Turnpike and the previously rural CR 470 is not recognizable due to the influx of building. All the while the addition of exits in the Orlando area over the last 20 years have transitioned the toll road from mainly being a through route to a commuter route. The planned expansion of suburbia south from St. Cloud will even add more commuters.

Also Sugarloaf Mountain is located north of the Minneola exit. That's the highest point on the Florida Peninsula...or basically the high point of the large sand bar between the two coastal plains. :D

roadman65

Then to add insult to injury, FTE will add new ramps at SR 482 in Orlando to make it more of a local freeway than a turnpike.

On another note I see the West NASA Causeway is now been torn down for the new EB bridge as the new WB is being built where the old 1964 twin bascule used to be. What's odd is that NASA won't be maintaining the new high rises like they did the past 60 years for the old causeway, but now is being given to FDOT to take care of.

I do miss the old bridges as the traffic signals for the bridge were suspended from curved mast poles and predated Florida using actual traffic signals at drawbridges due to the Space Center maintenance.  However the new structures will allow lane changes as the old ones prohibited that.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Alex on March 25, 2024, 12:38:37 PMBased upon your recent posting history (when I have actually reading the forum in recent months), you relocated to Florida?

Nope, just on vacation. Back in NJ now. There may be traffic here.... but at least it MOVES.

My travels actually took me down CR-470, which was chopped up quite a bit.

Alex

Quote from: NJRoadfan on March 26, 2024, 08:55:40 PM
Quote from: Alex on March 25, 2024, 12:38:37 PMBased upon your recent posting history (when I have actually reading the forum in recent months), you relocated to Florida?

Nope, just on vacation. Back in NJ now. There may be traffic here.... but at least it MOVES.

The steady influx of population to Florida has made driving around the Tampa area, and especially Orlando, vastly more miserable.

QuoteMy travels actually took me down CR-470, which was chopped up quite a bit.

I have not driven CR 470 since The Villages expansion obliterated the old alignment, only have seen what GSV shows. The development took out a viable alternate from Tampa to Orlando, as often traffic on I-4 is so bad that GPS will suggest better travel times by taking I-75 to SR 50 to Florida's Turnpike or I-75 north all the way to Florida's Turnpike then south. CR 470 was an intermediate option, but not anymore.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.