News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

Quote from: Signal man619 on March 21, 2018, 08:01:18 PM
Quote from: traffic light guy on March 21, 2018, 06:46:36 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 21, 2018, 02:24:55 AM
Nice! Huntsville's removed most of the ones around the city years ago, and many of the remaining ones will be going within the next year or so when the intersection they're at gets redone. There's a fair number in Central Alabama though, especially in Birmingham.

It gets better, I found a few Crouse-Hinds Type Ms that are still in service, I believe those are currently the oldest signals in Philly, next to the art decos in the Naval Base.

And the Marbelite 12in type L.

Are you referring to this (The signal mounted overhead)
Marbelite on top with a pair of McCains by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

I was told that this was a Type K, not a Type L

Signal man619

Quote from: traffic light guy on March 21, 2018, 10:19:09 PM
Nice! Huntsville's removed most of the ones around the city years ago, and many of the remaining ones will be going within the next year or so when the intersection they're at gets redone. There's a fair number in Central Alabama though, especially in Birmingham.

It gets better, I found a few Crouse-Hinds Type Ms that are still in service, I believe those are currently the oldest signals in Philly, next to the art decos in the Naval Base.

Type K is a Crouse Hinds 12,12,12.
Cameron

roadman65

I live in Florida and we have a mixed variety of installations.  In Miami, Gainesville, Pensacola, Panama City, Tallahassee, and Naples they have been using mast arms with horizontal signal heads mounted on them.   Much has to do with hurricanes as Andrew proved them to work out best under high winds.

In Tampa they have been lately using metal posts with span wires.  As always Florida used span wires strung from concrete stain poles with two cables.  The top cable for support while the bottom cable supplied the power to the heads.  In Hillsborough County lately they have been using one for both support and power to string their latest signals from.

In Lake County and many parts of Polk along US 27, they have been pretty standard with old FL concrete signal poles and using the box design instead of the diagonals like New York uses and what was previous in rural areas.  FL did always use box assemblies in urban areas over big intersections, but now that is the norm from Lake Wales to Leesburg along US 27.

In Orlando, we used California mast arms in the city limits (though many are being replaced by straight arms) and in Orange County they are straight mostly, but some are still span wires and in two locations Orange County have went from mast arm to span wire (usually the other way around).

Florida now must be the most diverse state as most usually keep their installations standard.  New York mostly uses green heads on diagonal span wire, and the Carolinas use box span wiring with yellow heads between wooden telephone poles.  NJ, though changing over to montube mast arms, mostly used truss style mast arms (and in the 1950's and before were double guy arms) with in urban areas using side mounts on 7 feet tall posts.

I am guessing its because FDOT does not do signals but has each county or city maintain and design their installations as most states have the state say what goes.  Even on state highways in Florida, FDOT makes the locals or county take care of the stoplights. So that is why we must be the most diverse state with signal designs, I am guessing.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

There's more Dallas displays in Washington than I realized. These are also in the Tri-Cities (Richland, specifically). The only other one that I know of in Washington is only a few miles away. These are on WA-240, but I think they're locally maintained. I don't know of any Dallas displays installed by WSDOT. I can't be completely certain without seeing the phase occurring either in-person or in Street View (as below), but the seven intersections along WA-240 between Adams Street and Hains Ave (examples: here, here, here, and here) all seem to use Dallas displays (sometimes utilising the modified R10-21 sign, unlike the intersection below) (the only giveaway is the louvres and the use of the 3M programmable visibility heads for all intersections except the one below, where Street View managed the capture the situation).

traffic light guy

Quote from: Signal man619 on March 22, 2018, 11:40:02 AM

Never heard of a Crouse-Hinds Type K. My area only has Crouse-Hinds Type Ms and Rs

freebrickproductions

Quote from: traffic light guy on March 23, 2018, 03:39:27 PM

Never heard of a Crouse-Hinds Type K. My area only has Crouse-Hinds Type Ms and Rs
The Type K was the model designation of the 12 inch Art-Decos (and the 12 inch Type Ms, IIRC).

Also, speaking of 12 inch Type Ms, I think I may have found the only one in the state of Alabama today on US 31 in Birmingham:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5586818,-86.8206676,3a,15y,248.94h,81.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sS-hpRgqcMOJ-S-u1_jWxDA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5585855,-86.8206928,3a,15y,325.98h,83.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sn5sqA7NFVRnsQuFkMu-faQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

In all honesty though, Birmingham has just about one example of every 12 inch signal ever made in service there (the only ones I know of that they lack are the round-door Econolite Bullseyes, 12 inch CGE and Fortran signals, and 12 inch Crouse-hinds Art-Deco signals)
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

MNHighwayMan

I'm in Minnesota for the weekend, and I came across this relatively new signal installation that uses a mix of both FYAs and five section towers:

This is the intersection of CR 78 and CR 133 in Sartell. I thought it odd to mix the two, especially for a new installation. Thoughts?

Big John

^^I think it a FYA for dedicated left-turn lanes and the 5-section signal for a shared left and ahead lane.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 24, 2018, 06:58:57 PM
I'm in Minnesota for the weekend, and I came across this relatively new signal installation that uses a mix of both FYAs and five section towers:

http://i.imgur.com/muENe7D.jpg

This is the intersection of CR 78 and CR 133 in Sartell. I thought it odd to mix the two, especially for a new installation. Thoughts?

Another excellent-looking installation by Minnesota. Why every state can't place signals this well (except for those that do), I'll never know.

As Big John mentions above, the tower is necessary due to the shared lane. But I wonder how the signal is phased. Shared lane approaches in my area are typically fully-permissive. The ones that do have a 5-section above a shared lane, basically never activate.

seicer

Lebanon, Kentucky:
* Example one - Order generic "historic" gantry and just hang signals however
* Example two - a singular post would work better here than this mess

Typical Kentucky state installation:
* Example one - Metal posts and sloppy wiring, which is sadly the norm
* Example two - Metal posts and sloppy wiring, and reflective backplates, used all around Frankfort

Lexington (?) city installation:
* Example one - Mast arm with backlit signs
* Example two - Mast arm with backlit signs

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on March 24, 2018, 07:11:49 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 24, 2018, 06:58:57 PM

http://i.imgur.com/muENe7D.jpg

Another excellent-looking installation by Minnesota. Why every state can't place signals this well (except for those that do), I'll never know.

As Big John mentions above, the tower is necessary due to the shared lane. But I wonder how the signal is phased. Shared lane approaches in my area are typically fully-permissive. The ones that do have a 5-section above a shared lane, basically never activate.

I watched it for a few cycles as I took pictures of it, and the tower for CR 78 always had a leading protected phase, though that was probably due to traffic volume. It also might be set that way due to the fact that not many vehicles will continue straight through into the gas station parking lot.

traffic light guy

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 23, 2018, 11:49:53 PM
Quote from: traffic light guy on March 23, 2018, 03:39:27 PM

The Type K was the model designation of the 12 inch Art-Decos (and the 12 inch Type Ms, IIRC).

Also, speaking of 12 inch Type Ms, I think I may have found the only one in the state of Alabama today on US 31 in Birmingham:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5586818,-86.8206676,3a,15y,248.94h,81.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sS-hpRgqcMOJ-S-u1_jWxDA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5585855,-86.8206928,3a,15y,325.98h,83.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sn5sqA7NFVRnsQuFkMu-faQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

In all honesty though, Birmingham has just about one example of every 12 inch signal ever made in service there (the only ones I know of that they lack are the round-door Econolite Bullseyes, 12 inch CGE and Fortran signals, and 12 inch Crouse-hinds Art-Deco signals)

Damn, consider me lucky due to the fact that Philly still has a few old signals such as Crouse-Hinds Type Ms and bullseyes, and that rare Marbelite Type L

kj3400

I'm pretty sure this isn't the best way to convey what they're trying to prohibit:

https://goo.gl/maps/n3uXLxrhhqy

Also I'm not sure if they're still there and I haven't been up there in years but I remember this weird setup at White Marsh:

https://goo.gl/maps/n2NT9cmBYir
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kj3400 on March 26, 2018, 04:34:24 AM
I'm pretty sure this isn't the best way to convey what they're trying to prohibit:

Are you talking about no left/right turn at the crossover?  They are tough to sign because there's not really once standard in how to sign it. Usually though you don't have a green ball and a straight arrow right below it.

Also I'm not sure if they're still there and I haven't been up there in years but I remember this weird setup at White Marsh:

What's the weird setup here?

RestrictOnTheHanger

NYC signs the main/service road setups like this. People seem to get it 

Queens Blvd and Broadway

https://goo.gl/maps/bvX2nxH4Ti82

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 26, 2018, 06:23:23 AM

All three approaches have only one through signal head. Blatant violation of policy.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on March 26, 2018, 01:13:09 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 26, 2018, 06:23:23 AM

All three approaches have only one through signal head. Blatant violation of policy.

Ah, I see it now. 

Malls seem to have this issues with traffic lights. 

seicer

What policy? Does that policy cover private property? If so, does the MUTCD? Because shopping centers terribly misrepresent signs and pavement markings all the time.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: seicer on March 26, 2018, 02:58:05 PM
What policy? Does that policy cover private property? If so, does the MUTCD? Because shopping centers terribly misrepresent signs and pavement markings all the time.

Yep.  Per: https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/knowledge/faqs/faq_general.htm#genq4

QuoteTitle 23 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 655.603 states that "for the purpose of MUTCD applicability, the phrase 'open to public travel' includes toll roads and roads within shopping centers, parking lots, airports, sports arenas, and other similar business and recreation facilities that are privately owned but where the public is allowed to travel without access restrictions.

And Yes, it's amazing how bad such signage and markings can be.

seicer

Gotcha. With that, what incentive is there if there are no penalties? I suspect that a lot of these issues is just pure ignorance - mom-and-pop painters, local sign fabricators, and local electricians who really don't know federal policy and not willful. But it would be nice to see enforcement out of safety concerns.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 01, 2018, 03:18:52 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 01, 2018, 02:25:27 AM
New backplates in my area have slats cut into the backplates, but not to such an extreme degree: https://goo.gl/V32FYb

I believe the holes reduce wind load on the signal, but I could be wrong.

I dunno what else they'd be for, but I have a hard time believing those little slats make all that much difference mitigating wind stresses.
What I've read around is that they are a two-way street, meaning that they reduce wind load and provide a distinction for the environment around the signal; like that of yellow lined backplates at night.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

jakeroot

Quote from: seicer on March 26, 2018, 03:21:37 PM
Gotcha. With that, what incentive is there if there are no penalties? I suspect that a lot of these issues is just pure ignorance - mom-and-pop painters, local sign fabricators, and local electricians who really don't know federal policy and not willful. But it would be nice to see enforcement out of safety concerns.

That may be true with really small shopping centers (what some might call a plaza or strip mall), but larger malls that have their own traffic lights are not usually managed mom-and-pop-style. One of the larger malls near me, Westfield Southcenter, has a huge parking lot with several tall garages. Something of this scale would have to be managed by a dedicated management team, either (in this case) by Westfield Corporation itself, or in the case of other malls, through whomever the owner decides. In some cases, the parking lot itself is owned by the shopping center, but managed by an outside group. This group would be the ones who maintain the striping and signage. In the case of a local parking company near me (one I am intimately familiar with), they keep a copy of the MUTCD on-hand to ensure compliance, since they have to self-regulate.

jakeroot

Double-posting due to unrelated topic

Here's something for our Eagle Flatback-geek 'traffic light guy'...

I rarely go through this intersection, so I only just spotted these today. Here are some Eagle Flatbacks in Federal Way, WA, the only Eagle Flatbacks I know of in Western Washington. Two of the four approaches have wire-spun signals, with all but one of the signals for these two approaches using 12-inch Eagle Flatbacks (the one odd-duck is a McCain, replacing a Flatback when the city needed a right turn filter). The left turn signals use all-arrow displays, which have been common in Washington for many years (decades even). If the signals date to when the intersection was last widened, these date to the 70s.

https://goo.gl/o1T4Bt -- I captured my own photo, but it was no good due to rain.

traffic light guy

Quote from: jakeroot on March 26, 2018, 04:39:48 PM
Double-posting due to unrelated topic

Here's something for our Eagle Flatback-geek 'traffic light guy'...

I rarely go through this intersection, so I only just spotted these today. Here are some Eagle Flatbacks in Federal Way, WA, the only Eagle Flatbacks I know of in Western Washington. Two of the four approaches have wire-spun signals, with all but one of the signals for these two approaches using 12-inch Eagle Flatbacks (the one odd-duck is a McCain, replacing a Flatback when the city needed a right turn filter). The left turn signals use all-arrow displays, which have been common in Washington for many years (decades even). If the signals date to when the intersection was last widened, these date to the 70s.

https://goo.gl/o1T4Bt -- I captured my own photo, but it was no good due to rain.

The reason why I like eagle flatbacks so much, is because most of the old signals in my area happen to be flatbacks. To be honest I enjoy other older signal brands such as much, Econolite bullseye, Crouse-Hinds, Marbelite...and so on.

Anyways, about the signals, the new backplates and LED retrofits make the signals look so sleek and modern, making them hard to distinguish from the McCains from a distance.

seicer

Deposit, New York from Sunday:

Not shown: Handpainted Traffic Signal Ahead Sign

This section of NY 17 was bypassed around circa 1965, and this became a secondary county route. I'm sure those signals have not been out of flash mode for decades now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.