News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Next Services XXX Miles

Started by Max Rockatansky, August 17, 2017, 12:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

This little 82 mile gap in services caught my eye the other day on eastbound CA 58 just out of Santa Margarita as a possibly decent idea for a traffic control thread:

IMG_3583 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I know off hand that I have a picture of a 100 gap on CA 62 last year and possibly the big 160-something one on US 6 in Nevada that I'll try to dig up.  I'm curious to see what everyone can come up with for high mileage numbers in different areas without services.

formulanone

Alligator Alley/FL 84 (before it was I-75) used to have a "Next Exit 86 Miles" sign:

(Also, one of my oldest sign photos...May of 1992.)

It's presently a 26-mile gap, since there were no services at Snake Road and FL 84 until the interstate was completed.

Max Rockatansky

The 100 mile services gap on CA 62 east out of 29 Palms I mentioned earlier, this was February 2016:

12715524_10207281317863812_6956413261632204339_n by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I believe there used to be gas in Vidal Junction which would have shortened the services gap to about 80 miles.

JJBers

Wait...is this next exits, or next services...because Mass. has a boatload of next exit XX miles signs. Especially on the Mass Pike.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JJBers on August 17, 2017, 11:02:43 PM
Wait...is this next exits, or next services...because Mass. has a boatload of next exit XX miles signs. Especially on the Mass Pike.

In the case of the two I displayed which are CA 58 and CA 62 it means there is literally no food or gas for the distance posted.  Essentially you are out on your own in no-man's land for 82 and 100 miles respectively, not a trace of civilization to be had.  US 6 out of Ely in the longest at 163 miles that I'm aware in the Lower 48 States.

dgolub

I haven't been there yet and hence don't have any photos of it, but nothing beats the NEXT SERVICE AREA 240 MILES sign on the Dalton Highway (AK 11).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.