News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

why the hell did he pick 169? this should be an even triple digit interstate!

hbelkins

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 22, 2016, 03:31:43 PM

Why?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

silverback1065

Quote from: hbelkins on May 22, 2016, 04:26:36 PM

Why?

Eh, it's no big deal, I just say that because it connects to two interstates, so it's not a spur that doesn't connect at the other end. 

LM117

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 22, 2016, 04:29:30 PM

Why?

Eh, it's no big deal, I just say that because it connects to two interstates, so it's not a spur that doesn't connect at the other end.

That was my first reaction also. What surprises me even more is that it took this long for the idea to turn the Pennyrile to an I-x69 from I-69 to I-24 to come about (unless I missed something). I figured it would happen sooner or later. Either way, it gives Nashville and Evansville an interstate connection.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

silverback1065

I think every parkway in Kentucky should be an interstate or throw the parallel us or state highway on it.

seicer

What would be the rationale? Every parkway is already a state highway, albeit unsigned. Some parkways also do not parallel US highways - such as the Mountain Parkway, so adding a designation wouldn't be feasible.

silverback1065

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on May 23, 2016, 09:59:37 AM
What would be the rationale? Every parkway is already a state highway, albeit unsigned. Some parkways also do not parallel US highways - such as the Mountain Parkway, so adding a designation wouldn't be feasible.
Only where it makes sense, I don't know a lot about Kentucky so it may not work everywhere

hbelkins

There's precedent. See I-155 and I-355 in Illinois.

I'd put US 460 on the Mountain Parkway and have it end at I-64, and return US 460 to its original number of KY 40. (I'd also swap US 460 and KY 114 between Salyersville and US 23).

froggie

Quote from: hbelkins on May 23, 2016, 12:58:48 PM

I'd put US 460 on the Mountain Parkway and have it end at I-64, and return US 460 to its original number of KY 40. (I'd also swap US 460 and KY 114 between Salyersville and US 23).

Concur.  It'd be fairly easy to put US 460 on the Mountain Parkway.  As for the broader question of what the rationale would be,  there are a number of reasons.  A) that subset of the driving population who more easily navigates via route numbers, B) numbers are easier (usually, maybe not for everyone) to remember than names, C) easier for inventory and database purposes, which is likely why KYTC has hidden route numbers for the parkways already.

So, right there, one doesn't even have to reroute highway routes onto the parkways, because they already have numbers.  Simply sign KY 402 along the Mountain Parkway.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on May 23, 2016, 02:00:26 PM
Concur.  It'd be fairly easy to put US 460 on the Mountain Parkway.  As for the broader question of what the rationale would be,  there are a number of reasons.  A) that subset of the driving population who more easily navigates via route numbers, B) numbers are easier (usually, maybe not for everyone) to remember than names, C) easier for inventory and database purposes, which is likely why KYTC has hidden route numbers for the parkways already.

I think an even better rationale is that US 460 is not really a major through route west of Salyersville. It's basically a road that serves county seats and local traffic, even though Kentucky's rebuilding it in increments. It's not a key interstate (as opposed to Interstate) link. No one in Salyersville is going to use US 460 to get to the central part of the state.

QuoteSo, right there, one doesn't even have to reroute highway routes onto the parkways, because they already have numbers.  Simply sign KY 402 along the Mountain Parkway.

It was interesting to watch Kentucky's progression on what to do with the route once the tolls came off. (It was the first toll road that wasn't already signed as a numbered route to become free). Kentucky first put KY 114 on the route, although it was never signed. Then came KY 402, which was only signed when Exit 33 at Slade was rebuilt. Those signs only lasted a couple of months before they were replaced with the standard old circular blue and green markers, and I regret not getting a photo. The 9000-series came later. I think KY 402 got reassigned somewhere out in the far western part of the state.

Occasionally some maps or mapping software will still show the route as KY 402 or KY 114.

US 41

Quote from: LM117 on May 22, 2016, 05:50:30 PM

Why?

That was my first reaction also. What surprises me even more is that it took this long for the idea to turn the Pennyrile to an I-x69 from I-69 to I-24 to come about (unless I missed something). I figured it would happen sooner or later. Either way, it gives Nashville and Evansville an interstate connection.

I-169 is a good choice. The only problem I could see with it is that there is supposed to be a 169 in both Indiana and Tennessee. (There's also one in Texas.) But obviously there can be more than one "169" as long as they're located in different states.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Henry

Quote from: US 41 on May 25, 2016, 10:40:15 AM

Why?

I-169 is a good choice. The only problem I could see with it is that there is supposed to be a 169 in both Indiana and Tennessee. (There's also one in Texas.) But obviously there can be more than one "169" as long as they're located in different states.
Well, a long time ago, there was to have been an I-169 leading into downtown Indianapolis, but that got cancelled. And the one in TN has not been signed yet. I would've signed the KY one as I-369, if it were up to me, and it's far enough away from the already-signed I-369 in TX.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US 41

Quote from: Henry on May 25, 2016, 11:11:18 AM
Quote from: US 41 on May 25, 2016, 10:40:15 AM

Why?

Well, a long time ago, there was to have been an I-169 leading into downtown Indianapolis, but that got cancelled. And the one in TN has not been signed yet. I would've signed the KY one as I-369, if it were up to me, and it's far enough away from the already-signed I-369 in TX.

The proposed I-169 in Indiana I was referring to is the rumored one south of Evansville that will connect I-69 to US 41 (was I-164 and will literally be less than a half mile long).

As far as numbering for the proposed KY I-169 goes, why not make it I-124 instead? There's really no other I-124 anywhere (besides the unsigned one in Chattanooga that basically no one knows about).

hbelkins

My guess is that Evansville I-169 will be totally unsigned, other than "To I-69" and "To US 41."

As for other numbers for the the southern end of the Pennyrile, 369 has long been the suggested number for the Audubon.

mvak36

If it's that short in Evansville, does it even need to be an Interstate? :hmmm:
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

tdindy88

If INDOT ever reroutes US 41 around Evansville via I-69 and I-64 then that could be the new route number for that stretch of road. If not, it could be an extension of the Veterans Memorial Parkway. Indiana is always looking for ways to offload any highway and I could see them easily hand that stretch of roadway back to Evansville (if the US 41 idea doesn't work.)

US 41

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 25, 2016, 05:12:55 PM
If INDOT ever reroutes US 41 around Evansville via I-69 and I-64 then that could be the new route number for that stretch of road. If not, it could be an extension of the Veterans Memorial Parkway. Indiana is always looking for ways to offload any highway and I could see them easily hand that stretch of roadway back to Evansville (if the US 41 idea doesn't work.)

INDOT has done some crazy unpredictable things within the past year, but I think it is very unlikely that US 41 will be rerouted around Evansville on I-69.

rte66man

Quote from: hbelkins on May 23, 2016, 11:26:19 PM
Quote from: froggie on May 23, 2016, 02:00:26 PM

I think an even better rationale is that US 460 is not really a major through route west of Salyersville. It's basically a road that serves county seats and local traffic, even though Kentucky's rebuilding it in increments. It's not a key interstate (as opposed to Interstate) link. No one in Salyersville is going to use US 460 to get to the central part of the state.

Since US460 is one of the '400' series, isn't it supposed to be a through route?  Does KYTC see it that way?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

codyg1985

I am actually not sure that US 460 is a 400 series route. It was established in 1934.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 26, 2016, 09:02:37 AM
I am actually not sure that US 460 is a 400 series route. It was established in 1934.

Yes. It's not like US 400 (no parent) or 412 and 425 (no connection to their "parent" routes.) It's a child of US 60 and after its truncation from St. Louis, terminates at its parent at both ends.

dvferyance

Quote from: hbelkins on May 26, 2016, 01:40:30 PM

Yes. It's not like US 400 (no parent) or 412 and 425 (no connection to their "parent" routes.) It's a child of US 60 and after its truncation from St. Louis, terminates at its parent at both ends.
It used to go to St Louis?

Alex

Quote from: dvferyance on May 27, 2016, 02:01:58 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 26, 2016, 01:40:30 PM

It used to go to St Louis?

Yes until 1975. From the St. Louis Roads Facebook Group:

tdindy88

I took a trip down to Evanville and Henderson yesterday so I wanted to share a picture from the northern end of I-69, one that I'm sure others have seen but I don't think has been shared here.

So my only question is what is with the exit signage for I-69. I get it that the interstate is technically exiting itself off of US 41 but the signage leading to this exit has all three control points mentioned. Everything was exiting off at this exit even though it is a simple trumpet exit with US 41/KY 425 and the (former) Pennyrile Parkway.

silverback1065

is there really a need for the "left" tab?

FLRoads

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 31, 2016, 05:25:25 AM
I took a trip down to Evanville and Henderson yesterday so I wanted to share a picture from the northern end of I-69, one that I'm sure others have seen but I don't think has been shared here.

So my only question is what is with the exit signage for I-69. I get it that the interstate is technically exiting itself off of US 41 but the signage leading to this exit has all three control points mentioned. Everything was exiting off at this exit even though it is a simple trumpet exit with US 41/KY 425 and the (former) Pennyrile Parkway.

What got me more interested than the left exit tab (which is completely unnecessary) is the exit number for this interchange. Before this portion of the parkway became I-69, this was Exit 76. I took a look at the 2017 Rand and noticed on the Indiana page that for the Kentucky side there are Exit 14 and 15 boxes for KY 351 and U.S. 60, respectively. Further down toward the edge there is an Exit 140 box. On the Kentucky page though neither the Exit 14 or 15 boxes are present, but the 140 box is the last along that portion of I-69.

Though I haven't seen anything yet in my initial research of this, is this renumbering indicative of when (and if) the future I-69 alignment will branch off to the east of Henderson to join the existing sections in Indiana? And if so, will this become another I-x69?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.