News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Pacific Southwest / Re: CA 51/I-80 Business Loop
Last post by The Ghostbuster - Today at 10:53:47 AM
While Ben Ali is a neighborhood in Sacramento (I just learned that from Wikipedia), I don't remember seeing any of Business 80 being named after the neighborhood. It is likely a moot point since all of Business 80 has been named the Capital City Freeway since 1996.
Off-Topic / Re: My idea for US currency re...
Last post by bmorrill - Today at 10:52:14 AM
Quote from: GaryV on April 22, 2024, 03:15:33 PMWho really wants their currency to look like Monopoly money?

When we were stationed in Germany in the mid-60s, I read an article in Stars and Stripes one morning about a bank in Sweden that had exchanged Monopoly Money for Swedish Krona!

Southeast / Re: Georgia
Last post by The Ghostbuster - Today at 10:44:54 AM
If you hear anything more, like when it happens or if it really is a sequential-to-mileage-based it remembering, keep us posted.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by Henry - Today at 10:04:24 AM
Quote from: ran4sh on April 22, 2024, 11:46:44 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 22, 2024, 11:04:40 PMIt's like the song My Maryland is the tune of the Christmas Carol   O Tannenbaum. They write lyrics and apply them to old songs.

And "The Red Flag" as well, which is the anthem of a political party in the UK.
Then we have My Country, Tis of Thee, which is basically an Americanized version of God Save the King/Queen.

Also, Greensleeves lent its tune to the Christmas carol What Child is This?

Quote from: roadman65 on April 22, 2024, 04:20:19 PMI've been hearing stories that the new bridge will not be named the Francis Scott Key Bridge due to a second verse of his poem that became our nation's anthem. Apparently the song we recite at ball games etc, has more lyrics to it that we never sing as well as even know about.

I don't know what they are as it's news to me that the anthem even had another verse. However MD lawmakers are listening to public opinion already not to rename the bridge its existing name.
Quote from: wdcrft63 on April 22, 2024, 07:11:50 PMThe name will almost certainly be changed. Francis Scott Key was a slave owner, and he was also a lawyer who fought to preserve slavery in court. On the other side of that, Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass were both born (as slaves) in Maryland.
If the new bridge won't be called the Francis Scott Key Bridge, what other name could it be? And is there a similar movement in DC to rename its own Key Bridge?
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Ohio
Last post by seicer - Today at 09:59:34 AM
I've found nothing about following Lady Bird's aesthetics on ODOT's policy manual (or with WVDOH or KYTC).

ODOT did update its Roadside Safety Landscape Guidelines in January, https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/working/engineering/roadway/manuals-standards/location-design-vol-1/0900/0900, and it states: "The basis for this section stems from the fact that trees are a major cause of injuries and fatalities on the nation's highways. While it is desired to increase the amount of aesthetics on the State highway system, and these guidelines try to encourage that end, it cannot be understated: trees are proven killers when placed by the roadside. Single vehicle crashes with trees account for 3,000 fatalities each year nationwide. Trees are not generally a highway element that engineers have control over, except in landscaping projects where the designer can make decisions to reduce the consequences of vehicles leaving the road."

It does outline where trees and large shrubs can be placed under 905.1.1-905.1.4.

It makes me wonder if liability also plays a part in this. WVDOH was sued over rock fall hazards and tree falls in the past. Did legal action prompt ODOT to do the same?
Weather / Re: Earthquakes and Volcanoes
Last post by bing101 - Today at 09:53:11 AM
Mid-South / Re: AR Highway 612
Last post by MikieTimT - Today at 09:40:20 AM
The contractor is hauling dump truck loads of gravel to a lot at the junction of Old AR 68 and US-412 to kick off the next phase of the remaining western leg of AR-612 and the XNA Connector that exits off it, so it was more than a ceremonial groundbreaking.
Northeast / Re: New York
Last post by bmitchelf - Today at 09:34:15 AM
Quote from: kalvado on April 22, 2024, 11:01:54 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 22, 2024, 09:29:03 AM
Quote from: kalvado on April 22, 2024, 09:26:34 AM
Quote from: SignBridge on April 19, 2024, 07:59:59 PMYeah, that's just what we need. Another flatfooted attempt by politicians to show a neighborhood that they're doing something about a problem. Like this will make any difference at all.
Don't underestimate amount of abuse people are willing to take for the privilege of being called a "New Yorker"

Not many people in NYC would consider a speed limit reduction abuse...
I am not sure how to feel about overall trends in NYC.
On one hand, Manhattan is obviously running over capacity. Hence congestion pricing, limiting speeds, trouble dance with medallions, uber, Airbnb.
And although public transportation is better than anywhere else in US, my understanding is that it is not really an option for many people. Not that there is a lot of spare capacity in MTA as well.
Should I call that catch-22?

If it was "not really an option for many people" then traffic would be at a standstill all day. There is definitely spare capacity post covid.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Minnesota Notes
Last post by froggie - Today at 09:30:21 AM
Both were originally replaced.  It wasn't until sign replacements the past few years that MnDOT started doing right-justified exit tabs.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by 1995hoo - Today at 09:23:25 AM
^^^^

The old bridge in DC was also known as the Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge; it received that name in 1965. As you note, when it opened in 1950 it was the South Capitol Street Bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.