News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex on December 20, 2017, 07:43:12 PM
The mileage sign formerly affixed to the 18th Street overpass was relocated northward in place of what was a sign listing the distances to Chester and Philadelphia.

Problem with this is that the sign was not updated to reflect the shorter distance, so the 3 miles listed for SR 3 is actually 1.1 mile. Thanks to Bob for the heads up.

Also unfortunately the state named shield for I-95 at 8th and Jackson Streets in Wilmington is no more. The assembly was removed completely, without a neutered replacement. That leaves just one state-named shield in all of Delaware.

Spotted today also a third monotube assembly for I-95 in Wilmington in addition to the two that Dan posted on the NERoads FB group. The new overhead is on SR 52 / Delaware Avenue north.

Also notable is that they're still placing the BGSs on overpasses.  Other states are moving away from that, putting the BGSs on their own structures.

RoadPelican

The reason why there is a huge traffic problem at the Five Points intersection is because of the lack of good east-west routes going from US 113 to Route 1.  By good, I mean a 4 lane divided highway that goes from US 113 to Rt 1.  All of the east-west routes (404, 24, 26, 54) are only two lanes.  Most traffic coming from the North (Wilmington/Philly) will come via Route 1 because it is a 4 lane expressway (the only one that connects the DE beaches to the rest of Delaware).  Give motorists another option and try and widen (404, 24, 26, 54) it might be less expensive then putting a full interchange in at Five Points.

I cannot believe the state just spent millions of dollars on Route 26 just to put in turn lanes and shoulders, when in actuality you need more thru traffic capacity and elected officials need to stop buying the lie that traffic is bad just 3 months out of the years.  Hoards and Hoards of people from NJ/NY and New England are moving to Delaware to live year round.

I read another article about Rt. 54 traffic in the Selbyville/Fenwick Island area and a member of Sussex County Government was asked about widening Rt 54 to 4 lanes and he basically just gave the "it's too expensive!" excuse.  It's like he is trapped in the 1950's.

ixnay

Quote from: Alex on December 20, 2017, 07:43:12 PM[T]he state named shield for I-95 at 8th and Jackson Streets in Wilmington is no more. The assembly was removed completely, without a neutered replacement. That leaves just one state-named shield in all of Delaware.

And where is *that*, may we ask?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

ixnay

Quote from: Alex4897 on December 20, 2017, 02:30:15 PM
Delawareonline had a neat '50s picture of the Five Points intersection in Lewes in an
article
today about a rekindled push to fix the intersection.

Neatly signed, was that intersection (notice the sign for the then-2 lane, recently opened Bay Bridge), back when DE state-numbered roads had almost-square cutout shields before going to circular cutouts and later circles or ovals on black background shields.

The divided road going off into the distance and narrowing to two lanes (near where St. Jude's Catholic Church was later built) before shooting through Nassau and up to Milford is DE 14 (today's DE 1).

The 2-lane road running diagonally across DE 14/1 is DE 18 (today's U.S. 9/DE 404).

The area hadn't changed much by 1964.

The 1964 picture appeared in today's Cape Gazette.  The a-framed building in the distance just off the northbound side of DE 14 (DE 1) is the aforementioned St. Jude's church.

http://www.capegazette.com/article/working-group-aims-solve-five-points/148150?source=fs&slide=4

Both photos appear to have been taken in summer.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

PurdueBill

Quote from: MASTERNC on December 20, 2017, 09:53:44 AM
Was heading south from Wilmington last night on I-95 and noticed new APL signs for I-295 North.  The interesting thing is they have now assigned an exit number (5C) to I-295 going southbound, whereas there was no exit number previously.  However, it has yet to be signed (if it will be) on I-95 North.  Also unknown is if the I-495 exit will receive an exit number.  Going south from PA, the I-495 split does have an exit number (Exit 11) on I-95, though that is the same exit number as Naamans Road (which shares the I-495 ramp southbound but has its own ramp northbound).

Didn't there used to be one sign (just one) with an exit number for 495 from 95 north?  I believe it was called Exit 5D on the one sign, but I don't recall 5C being used which I presume was intended for 295.  5A-B being for 141 with the 141 exits conflating with the split for 295 complicates things.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PurdueBill on December 21, 2017, 12:58:38 AM
Was heading south from Wilmington last night on I-95 and noticed new APL signs for I-295 North.  The interesting thing is they have now assigned an exit number (5C) to I-295 going southbound, whereas there was no exit number previously.  However, it has yet to be signed (if it will be) on I-95 North.  Also unknown is if the I-495 exit will receive an exit number.  Going south from PA, the I-495 split does have an exit number (Exit 11) on I-95, though that is the same exit number as Naamans Road (which shares the I-495 ramp southbound but has its own ramp northbound).

Didn't there used to be one sign (just one) with an exit number for 495 from 95 north?  I believe it was called Exit 5D on the one sign, but I don't recall 5C being used which I presume was intended for 295.  5A-B being for 141 with the 141 exits conflating with the split for 295 complicates things.

Yep - the interchange with 141 and the interchange with 495 shouldn't have anything to do with each other, but because Delaware still uses sequential numbering, and being the MLK Interchange is Exit 6, Delaware has themselves in a tight stop and has to use Exit 5C/D with I-495.

Of the remaining sequentially numbered states, Delaware usually isn't talked about because of how short it is.  If DE moved to mileage-based numbering, the exit numbers would roughly double.  Rt. 141 should really be Exit 10 or 11; I-495 should be Exit 12. 

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 21, 2017, 06:24:29 AM
Quote from: PurdueBill on December 21, 2017, 12:58:38 AM

Yep - the interchange with 141 and the interchange with 495 shouldn't have anything to do with each other, but because Delaware still uses sequential numbering, and being the MLK Interchange is Exit 6, Delaware has themselves in a tight stop and has to use Exit 5C/D with I-495.

Of the remaining sequentially numbered states, Delaware usually isn't talked about because of how short it is.  If DE moved to mileage-based numbering, the exit numbers would roughly double.  Rt. 141 should really be Exit 10 or 11; I-495 should be Exit 12.

And then there's DE 1 whose exits (and grade-separated intersections south of Dover) have kilometer-based numbers (but mileposts, rather than kilometer-posts, south of the C&D Canal).

ixnay

PurdueBill

Quote from: ixnay on December 21, 2017, 07:33:13 AM

And then there's DE 1 whose exits (and grade-separated intersections south of Dover) have kilometer-based numbers (but mileposts, rather than kilometer-posts, south of the C&D Canal).

ixnay

I remember back in the early 90s when the northernmost exits on DE 1 were 99, 100, 101 based on mileage.  Then they changed them to go with the "relief route" then-new highway and C&D Canal crossing, expecting metric requirements to stay in place.  Could Delaware be the only state that once had mileage-based exit numbers on at least one of its roads and now has none?

(The signs on DE 1 with metric units were wacky while they lasted.  Toll Plaza 500 m.  Where is it?  15 minutes away? Around the next curve? No one knew!  Throw in the speed limit signs that were still in mph, and it's no surprise that the party didn't last.  Have to use one or the other for everything, not mix and match and half-change.

D-Dey65

Quote from: ixnay on December 13, 2017, 08:01:29 AM
The DelPike's toll booth actually rated a postcard that found its way to Ebay...

And here are Kennedy and Govs. J. Millard Tawes (MD) (left) and Elbert "Bert" Carvel (DE) (right) at the dedication of the Wilmington-to-Baltimore DE 141-to-MD 43 segment, with a replica Mason-Dixon stone in the median.  The MD segment was originally called the Northeastern Expressway. 

A week later, JFK went to Dallas.

And a Baltimore Sun retrospective article about the opening.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/harford/fallston-joppa/ph-ag-jfk-highway-50-anniversary-1113-20131114-story.html

ixnay
Any pics of the original Delaware (Welcome Center) House available?

02 Park Ave

Has a scheduled completion date been announced for the widening of I-295 in Delaware?
C-o-H

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on January 31, 2018, 05:55:51 PM
Has a scheduled completion date been announced for the widening of I-295 in Delaware?

This page shows it is funded into 2020.  It's not very clear as to the timetable though.  http://www.drba.net/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=Y79gAqDCA6I%3d&tabid=81

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 20, 2017, 08:59:08 PM
The mileage sign formerly affixed to the 18th Street overpass was relocated northward in place of what was a sign listing the distances to Chester and Philadelphia.

Also notable is that they're still placing the BGSs on overpasses.  Other states are moving away from that, putting the BGSs on their own structures.
A couple of things:

1.  You might want to re-read Alex's above-post again; the overpass-mounted mileage BGS in that pic. has been relocated/replaced with one further north.

2.  Those overpass-mounted BGS' in the pic. are at least a decade old and likely predated states phasing out that practice.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 01, 2018, 09:30:44 AM

A couple of things:

2.  Those overpass-mounted BGS' in the pic. are at least a decade old and likely predated states phasing out that practice.

The 2 lane exit is a result of the recent 95/202 interchange construction project.  The sign is newer than June, 2012, which is the date of this historic GSV: https://goo.gl/maps/MRBUb6aDdA42

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 01, 2018, 11:11:55 AM

A couple of things:

The 2 lane exit is a result of the recent 95/202 interchange construction project.  The sign is newer than June, 2012, which is the date of this historic GSV: https://goo.gl/maps/MRBUb6aDdA42

Only the lower EXIT ONLY portion of that Exit 8 sign changed; the green portion of the sign is unchanged (& years older).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 01, 2018, 11:17:49 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 01, 2018, 11:11:55 AM

A couple of things:

Only the lower EXIT ONLY portion of that Exit 8 sign changed; the green portion of the sign is unchanged (& years older).

Ah, yeah, good eye.

Roadsguy

Is Delaware still using Clearview in new signs? Good thing they didn't replace the whole sign, since it would've definitely (at least at the time) been Clearview. :P
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

froggie

As of last year, NOBODY should be using Clearview in new signs, unless by chance the signs were designed prior to FHWA revoking their interim approval of Clearview...

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadsguy on February 02, 2018, 08:58:52 AM
Is Delaware still using Clearview in new signs? Good thing they didn't replace the whole sign, since it would've definitely (at least at the time) been Clearview. :P
Some recent (within the past year) DelDOT installs along I-495 were still Clearview and oversized.  Guess on my part but those likely were approved/submitted just prior to the feds revoking the interim use of the Clearview font. 

Some of the surrounding signage at the I-95/US 202/DE 202 interchange is newer and features oversized Clearview.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

odditude

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 02, 2018, 02:40:21 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on February 02, 2018, 08:58:52 AM
Some recent (within the past year) DelDOT installs along I-495 were still Clearview and oversized.  Guess on my part but those likely were approved/submitted just prior to the feds revoking the interim use of the Clearview font. 

Some of the surrounding signage at the I-95/US 202/DE 202 interchange is newer and features oversized Clearview.
that being said, the new signage on I-95 NB approaching the I-295 split (for Exit 5 / DE 141 SB) is in FHWA.

ixnay

Meanwhile, back at the beaches, we find this editorial about upcoming DelDOT workshops...

http://www.capegazette.com/article/take-notice-deldot-workshops/150335

And a letter writer gives advice as to how to improve Five Points...

http://www.capegazette.com/article/five-points-intersection-not-bad/150157

ixnay

BrianP

Link to Delaware Bridge Oops topic in the Bridges forum.

ixnay

I-495's merge with (NB) and split from (SB) 95 at the north end could use direct connections between 495 and DE 92 (Naamans Rd.), so that users of that road (and patrons of Northtowne Plaza and Tristate Mall) don't have to negotiate U.S. 13 (Philadelphia Pike) to access 495 and vice versa.

https://tinyurl.com/y727sgp2

ixnay

MASTERNC

Quote from: ixnay on February 24, 2018, 06:25:14 PM
I-495's merge with (NB) and split from (SB) 95 at the north end could use direct connections between 495 and DE 92 (Naamans Rd.), so that users of that road (and patrons of Northtowne Plaza and Tristate Mall) don't have to negotiate U.S. 13 (Philadelphia Pike) to access 495 and vice versa.

ixnay

Tri-State Mall is virtually dead right now.  That said, if any sort of redevelopment occurs (as government officials want), maybe traffic counts will warrant it.  The ramp to DE 92 from I-495 NB might be harder due to weaving, but there is less rationale for not building a ramp split from DE 92 to southbound I-495 from the current I-95 onramp.

Fixed quote.  -Mark

Alps

Quote from: MASTERNC on February 25, 2018, 07:53:45 PM
Quote from: ixnay on February 24, 2018, 06:25:14 PM

ixnay

Tri-State Mall is virtually dead right now.  That said, if any sort of redevelopment occurs (as government officials want), maybe traffic counts will warrant it.  The ramp to DE 92 from I-495 NB might be harder due to weaving, but there is less rationale for not building a ramp split from DE 92 to southbound I-495 from the current I-95 onramp.
Both directions would have weaving. It's less than 2,000 feet from where the ramp would join I-495 SB to the takeoff for US 13.

ixnay

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.