News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Creating maps/diagrams

Started by Hurricane Rex, January 14, 2018, 01:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurricane Rex

If you haven't seen, I've started the Hurricane Rex's plans for Oregon however one big thing I'm realizing I'm missing is an ability to create good maps. What do you use to create maps/diagrams? I know of the do it on Microsoft paint method but that's it.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

index

Inkscape is an excellent tool for making maps. Give it some practice, and you'll be able to make nice maps.

This is an example of what I've done with Inkscape: https://prnt.sc/i08h3i

It isn't the best example, but you can get the gist of it.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

pianocello

I haven't used it in a while, but JOSM is a pretty intuitive program for creating maps. You can superimpose existing aerial imagery, and you can even play around with the line painting styles to make it look like old Mapnik.

Example: I used this style in JOSM in a fictional thread I created in 2016.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

triplemultiplex

I use Adobe Illustrator for much of my recreational mapping.  The ability to draw smooth curves is handy and utilizing layers lets one create some nice looking line work.  Probably an expensive option, though, to work with a current version of this software.  I assume.  I have no need to upgrade from what I've been using for 10 years.
I can fart around on Google Earth, but it's limiting to only be able to draw straight line segments.  And then there is not as much you can do with your lines.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

inkyatari

Quote from: pianocello on January 14, 2018, 06:19:57 PM
I haven't used it in a while, but JOSM is a pretty intuitive program for creating maps. You can superimpose existing aerial imagery, and you can even play around with the line painting styles to make it look like old Mapnik.

Example: I used this style in JOSM in a fictional thread I created in 2016.

I tried using JOSM with Opengeofiction, and found it fairly unwieldy, but I probably just needed more practice with it.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Brian556

I've made some decent maps with Inkscape. I just with they would create line types for railroad and abandoned railroad

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Brian556 on January 20, 2018, 09:34:08 PM
I've made some decent maps with Inkscape. I just with they would create line types for railroad and abandoned railroad

You can use Inkscape to essentially create your own linetypes. For the one I typically use for my Wikipedia maps' railroads,

I start with a base line with no defined style, create a clone with a black 1 mm line, then create another clone with a white dashes, rounded line ends, and 0.7 mm thickness. I've also seen tutorials on Youtube showing you can create a symbol (say a diamond) and essentially use it as the component of the line.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.