Places prepped for traffic signals that aren't there yet

Started by STLmapboy, June 21, 2020, 11:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

stevashe

An interesting case of this was present in Seattle at Aurora Ave N and Harrison St. Previously, this intersection had been right-in/right-out only for Harrison as WA/US 99 was routed on Aurora as a quasi-freeway. As part of the viaduct replacement, this intersection was to gain a signal as the tunnel entrance is just north and thus through traffic on Aurora (now also renamed to 7th Ave N) would no longer have or need extra priority over cross traffic, so now it's possible to travel straight across this intersection on Harrison for the first time since the viaduct went in!

However, the mast arms for the signals went in a few years before the switch to a signalized intersection was made, as shown in the link above. I find this example interesting since it's kind of the opposite of most of the others in this thread that are mast arms installed in anticipation of future development, as opposed to this, which is more like a "downgrade" due to the major highway being shifted to a different location.

mrsman

Quote from: stevashe on July 15, 2020, 07:07:09 PM
An interesting case of this was present in Seattle at Aurora Ave N and Harrison St. Previously, this intersection had been right-in/right-out only for Harrison as WA/US 99 was routed on Aurora as a quasi-freeway. As part of the viaduct replacement, this intersection was to gain a signal as the tunnel entrance is just north and thus through traffic on Aurora (now also renamed to 7th Ave N) would no longer have or need extra priority over cross traffic, so now it's possible to travel straight across this intersection on Harrison for the first time since the viaduct went in!

However, the mast arms for the signals went in a few years before the switch to a signalized intersection was made, as shown in the link above. I find this example interesting since it's kind of the opposite of most of the others in this thread that are mast arms installed in anticipation of future development, as opposed to this, which is more like a "downgrade" due to the major highway being shifted to a different location.

In a way there is future development at the corner.  While the roadway was downgraded from expressway to local street, the surrounding real estate definitely became more developed with taller buildings and more likely than not more pedestrian uses.  Certainly Amazon's proximity to this area was a catalyst as well.

So yes this wasn't a bean field that is now a housing development as your typical example, but a development change from semi-industrial to office/retail/condo would be up-development as well.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: mrsman on June 29, 2020, 07:56:28 AM

This is interesting and unique.  How many other places go through so much trouble to deal with a seasonal traffic signal?  I'm not aware of anything more than signal flash or turning signal heads as a similar method of dealing with seasonal traffic in my area.  Most signals just operate normally, even if an amusement park (or similar seasonal attraction) were closed.

There's the New York State Fair at Syracuse, which, I heard, is not going to be signalized any more.

mrsman

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on July 16, 2020, 10:35:01 PM
Quote from: mrsman on June 29, 2020, 07:56:28 AM

This is interesting and unique.  How many other places go through so much trouble to deal with a seasonal traffic signal?  I'm not aware of anything more than signal flash or turning signal heads as a similar method of dealing with seasonal traffic in my area.  Most signals just operate normally, even if an amusement park (or similar seasonal attraction) were closed.

There's the New York State Fair at Syracuse, which, I heard, is not going to be signalized any more.

This is also interesting in that they put in place a traffic signal on an interstate highway.  FWIW, I'm glad that they are removing the signal as even a temporary signal on an interstate is dangerous.

stevashe

Quote from: mrsman on July 16, 2020, 08:33:55 PM
In a way there is future development at the corner.  While the roadway was downgraded from expressway to local street, the surrounding real estate definitely became more developed with taller buildings and more likely than not more pedestrian uses.  Certainly Amazon's proximity to this area was a catalyst as well.

So yes this wasn't a bean field that is now a housing development as your typical example, but a development change from semi-industrial to office/retail/condo would be up-development as well.

True, however I'd argue the light would have gone in regardless of surrounding development due to the intersection's proximity to downtown.

roadfro

Quote from: stevashe on July 15, 2020, 07:07:09 PM

This one is interesting to me because not only were mast arms installed in advance, but Opticom (or similar) preemption detectors were also installed on the mast arm in advance of signal heads, etc. That seems rather unusual.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

STLmapboy

Found a textbook example in Kelso, WA (with mast arms, there's another one down Talley). Both appear to have been erected between 2007 and 2012, in an interchange widening.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Revive 755

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

mrsman

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 22, 2020, 10:40:37 PM
Quote from: renegade on September 22, 2020, 08:36:10 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on September 22, 2020, 02:57:53 PM
Thread bump; found this assembly in Belleville, IL.
" Left turn yield on green"    :awesomeface:
Don't mind of I do  :cool:

The sign assembly isn't so weird as the folks who put up the street signs probably put up that sign as well, so no need to have that crew come twice to that intersection.

The weird thing is that there were signal heads put up way back in 2013, and then they were taken down later. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5153888,-90.0361853,3a,75y,356.76h,95.19t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s_ANR-04XjYY2BWU8pJfQLg!2e0!5s20130401T000000!7i13312!8i6656

It seems like the intersection didn't even exist at all in 2009, then they set up to develop this land and installed signals, but as the land has sat fallow for awhile, they took down the signal heads but left everything else in place.

jakeroot

I always used to think this intersection was getting prepped for traffic signals, with the masts having been installed long enough ago that they'd already begun to rust:

7 Ave SW @ Fruitland Ave; Puyallup, WA

As it turns out, the signals were actually removed in 1989 (PDF; pg 3). Thankfully the county has a digital archive of all their traffic control changes dating back to 1989 (and not a year earlier), otherwise I'd still be confused. Especially given that this intersection can get wildly backed up from the westbound approach during parts of the day. I'm really not sure why the signal was removed, since if anything, a signal is warranted here over most three-way intersections in the area.

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.