News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

California

Started by andy3175, July 20, 2016, 12:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

Kind of hope the next one goes farther north, really need an El Nino winter.

Max Rockatansky

There was that whole atmospheric river thing last year that dumped about three inches of rain in a day in the Central Valley.  For whatever reason that storm really didn't much of anything in terms of damage. 

skluth

Tropical storm classification by region

Rothman

Heh.  I like how the boundary between hurricanes and typhoons in the Pacific is a little ambiguous.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

skluth

Quote from: Rothman on September 30, 2022, 11:02:16 AM
Heh.  I like how the boundary between hurricanes and typhoons in the Pacific is a little ambiguous.

It's not. The boundary is at 180°, aka the International Date Line. I was stationed for a year on Midway in the early 80s, sending up weather balloons twice/day. No idea if any named storms ever cross that line as it was a pretty quiet year meteorologically when I was there.

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: Quillz on September 29, 2022, 06:28:54 PM
I've never done Westgard Pass. Went into the White Mountains once for a field study. But anything beyond that I've never been to. I finally visited Modoc County in 2020, next time I'm near Mammoth, I should finally clinch CA-168 (and CA-266).

If you went up to the bristlecone pines, you would have had to go through it, since it's before the turn-off. If you haven't ever done so, though, it's a good drive.

TheStranger

Did a drive from the Bay Area to Orange County today, took 101, 154, 101, 144, 192, back to 101, then 5.

- Had to deal with construction in at least three different sections of 101 (King City, Santa Barbara/Montecito, and then west of Ventura near the coastline).

- Interesting how Route 154 for 2 of its final 3 miles is a Super 2, but then ends at a diamond interchange with 101 (not sure there would be enough right of way to ever make this a system interchange).

- I think there's one Route 144 shield left total?  Maybe there always weren't that many to begin with.

- The scraped-out Route 1 shield on southbound US 101 east of Oxnard Boulevard (where the outline of the shield shape and the number are still there) really highlight the absurdity of how all that and the continued lack of signage towards and on Rice Avenue has been.  On one next-few-exits sign, two layers of greenout have peeled off, revealing a "Pacific Coast Highway" line of text that had been covered by Oxnard Boulevard greenout.

- Ah, the East/West 101 sign blades in San Fernando Valley!  How long have those been used/produced?

- On 101 south as the Santa Ana Freeway begins, one retroreflective BGS does exist labeling the road as just "I-5 / I-10 --- Santa Ana / San Bernardino"; the rest from there to Soto Street more properly have some form of "US 101 TO I-5 / I-10 / Route 60"

Chris Sampang

Quillz

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on September 30, 2022, 08:29:53 PM
I've never done Westgard Pass. Went into the White Mountains once for a field study. But anything beyond that I've never been to. I finally visited Modoc County in 2020, next time I'm near Mammoth, I should finally clinch CA-168 (and CA-266).

If you went up to the bristlecone pines, you would have had to go through it, since it's before the turn-off. If you haven't ever done so, though, it's a good drive.
The turn was at White Mountain Road, shortly after CA-168 begins. It was a dirt road that took us to a little research station south of the actual White Mountain Peak. All this talk recently of various Eastern Sierra routes is making me want to take another trip to that area. Will have to hit Westgard Pass at some point. When I did Modoc County, I drove CA-299 to the Nevada state line just to say I've done it. Want to do something similar with CA-168/CA-266.

Quillz

Quote from: TheStranger on October 01, 2022, 02:55:55 AM
Did a drive from the Bay Area to Orange County today, took 101, 154, 101, 144, 192, back to 101, then 5.

- Had to deal with construction in at least three different sections of 101 (King City, Santa Barbara/Montecito, and then west of Ventura near the coastline).
The Montecito-to-Ventura area is finally being widened. For decades it was basically four lanes wide and always had massive traffic jams. It's being widened to at least six lanes, and several interchanges are being redone. Even with the construction, the traffic flow is already much better than it was.
- The scraped-out Route 1 shield on southbound US 101 east of Oxnard Boulevard (where the outline of the shield shape and the number are still there) really highlight the absurdity of how all that and the continued lack of signage towards and on Rice Avenue has been.  On one next-few-exits sign, two layers of greenout have peeled off, revealing a "Pacific Coast Highway" line of text that had been covered by Oxnard Boulevard greenout.
This is why I hate relinquishment. Because it's so inconsistent. Some routes get signed, some don't. The official policy is CA-1 is unsigned from Oxnard to Las Cruces (except for a short PCH segment past Ventura). But signage doesn't reflect this. And it's still seen on Oxnard Boulevard, and yet there is nothing on Rice Avenue! I've read elsewhere that the CA-1/CA-34 junction is getting upgraded. When it does, the logic is all the signage in that area will finally get fixed and properly signed. This area has been absolutely messy for years now as far as signage goes. But given the way the Oxnard Boulevard/Rice Avenue freeway-to-freeway interchange has been reworked, it's now "default" that you stay on Rice Avenue (it used to be the opposite). I think this makes it clear to motorists this is now CA-1. And US-101 is obviously dominant, so I don't think navigation is too bad even with the poor signage. (And note there are still exit numbers on Oxnard Boulevard even though it's not CA-1 anymore. No idea if/when those will get fixed up).

Also, CA-232 is supposed to be moved from Vineyard Avenue onto Santa Clara Avenue. This means that it will basically form a perfect loop: CA-1 from the coast heads due north to US-101, keep heading northeast on the new CA-232 and you seamlessly move onto CA-118, looping you back to the LA area.
- Ah, the East/West 101 sign blades in San Fernando Valley!  How long have those been used/produced?
Well over a decade at this point, if not longer. Seems the practice started in the early 00s, as Caltrans slowly replaced signage. But like what I mentioned above, it's very inconsistent. I was discussing this in the Washington thread, where I'd create signage that said something like "NB/101/West," indicating the overall orientation but then noting at the moment, you are heading west. The only consistency seems to be the blades directly at the junctions that refer to E/W. All other signage is N/S.

gonealookin

Quote from: Quillz on October 02, 2022, 06:30:33 PM

The turn was at White Mountain Road, shortly after CA-168 begins. It was a dirt road that took us to a little research station south of the actual White Mountain Peak. All this talk recently of various Eastern Sierra routes is making me want to take another trip to that area. Will have to hit Westgard Pass at some point. When I did Modoc County, I drove CA-299 to the Nevada state line just to say I've done it. Want to do something similar with CA-168/CA-266.

If you're starting in Mammoth, or anywhere along US 395, and you haven't driven it before, I recommend the eastern segment of CA 120 between US 6 and US 395 as part of an interesting loop.  Going westbound on CA 120, after the steep climb out of Benton Hot Springs you have the rollercoaster segment through the valley, some high speed straightaways and sharp curves, and eventually views of Mono Lake with a side trip to the tufa formations on its south shore.  A very short hop northbound on US 395 gets you to the north end of CA 158, the June Lake Loop, which is another attractive drive.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: gonealookin on October 03, 2022, 07:30:49 PM

If you're starting in Mammoth, or anywhere along US 395, and you haven't driven it before, I recommend the eastern segment of CA 120 between US 6 and US 395 as part of an interesting loop.  Going westbound on CA 120, after the steep climb out of Benton Hot Springs you have the rollercoaster segment through the valley, some high speed straightaways and sharp curves, and eventually views of Mono Lake with a side trip to the tufa formations on its south shore.  A very short hop northbound on US 395 gets you to the north end of CA 158, the June Lake Loop, which is another attractive drive.

Horseshoe Meadows Road (Old CA 190) is probably the coolest road in the area and also higher than Tioga Pass.  Onion Valley and Whitney Portal are also there but they aren't the same level as Horseshoe.

Quillz

Damn, too bad all this stuff will be closed soon. Got me all excited for a road trip next spring. Lots of Sierra stuff I haven't done.

pderocco

The turn was at White Mountain Road, shortly after CA-168 begins. It was a dirt road that took us to a little research station south of the actual White Mountain Peak.

Was that the station on the side of Mt Barcroft?

Had you continued to White Mountain peak, where there's a weather research station at the very top, I believe you would have been on the highest road in the country.

Quillz

Quote from: pderocco on October 04, 2022, 02:59:13 AM
The turn was at White Mountain Road, shortly after CA-168 begins. It was a dirt road that took us to a little research station south of the actual White Mountain Peak.

Had you continued to White Mountain peak, where there's a weather research station at the very top, I believe you would have been on the highest road in the country.
Yes, that's where we stayed. We were near the White Mountain Sunmit but didn't ascend it. Time constraints and it was part of our agreement to have free reign of that station.

I've actually done very little in the Eastern Sierra. When I drove to Lassen a couple years ago, I finally got the chance to take 395 pretty much down the entire state (from Susanville to the 14 junction). So I passed by a lot of stuff, but didn't really stop. I've visited places like Mono Lake and that nearby crater, and big tourist areas like Mammoth and Tahoe, but a lot of the more regional attractions, like Horseshoe Meadows, never visited. So looking forward to getting more familiar with this area.

And that loop sounds great! I'll probably stay in Bishop, and do 395 -> 6 -> 120 -> 395 -> 158 -> 395. Did the June Lake Loop once, but never clinched that alignment of 120 (didn't go past the crater). I'm not sure when this stuff closes for the winter, but hoping I can get to it in early November.

Rothman

Isn't that road gated?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2022, 06:54:30 AM

Isn't that road gated?

Basically White Mountain Road drops to a dirt road above the Bristlecone Pine Forest.  Apparently the public road is only accessible to 12,470 feet above sea level.  Barcroft Research Station is located at 14,246 feet above sea level.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 04, 2022, 08:11:46 AM

Isn't that road gated?

Basically White Mountain Road drops to a dirt road above the Bristlecone Pine Forest.  Apparently the public road is only accessible to 12,470 feet above sea level.  Barcroft Research Station is located at 14,246 feet above sea level.
So, that would mean Mount Evans is still the highest public road at 14,130'.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2022, 08:47:16 AM

Isn't that road gated?

Correct, unless White Mountain Road is open to the summit for a day or two.  I seem to recall it was open a couple days a year to the general public.  There is something in California law that requires a otherwise non-public road to be open for at least a day to maintain its status as an actual accessible roadway.  A similar situation exists on Old Stage Road south of San Juan Bautista given it is open for a single day a year to vehicles. 

gonealookin

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 04, 2022, 09:35:51 AM
Quote from: Rothman on October 04, 2022, 08:47:16 AM

Isn't that road gated?

Correct, unless White Mountain Road is open to the summit for a day or two.  I seem to recall it was open a couple days a year to the general public.  There is something in California law that requires a otherwise non-public road to be open for at least a day to maintain its status as an actual accessible roadway.  A similar situation exists on Old Stage Road south of San Juan Bautista given it is open for a single day a year to vehicles. 

I have hiked to the summit of White Mountain Peak.

The small parking area at the gate which is the trailhead is at about 11,700 feet.  It's about 2 miles short of the University of California's Barcroft Field Station.  The gate is the end of the public road.

Once a year (I think) Barcroft hosts an open house and the gate is opened, so the public can drive the additional 2 miles to the research station at 12,470 feet.  The research station personnel keep that dirt road maintained.

I don't think the public is ever allowed to drive beyond the research station.  The road quickly deteriorates to a jeep track and worse.  The final steep climb to the summit is extremely rocky and you wouldn't be able to drive any normal vehicle to the top of White Mountain Peak.  I'd guess the research station people use ATVs when they want to go to the summit, where there's a small concrete block building.  The summit is about 5.5 miles beyond the main research station.

Google Maps satellite view

Another edit:  I guess it's been a while since I did that hike and memory has faded.  Maybe they've improved the road to the summit some since I've hiked it.  Info on the Summit Hut

QuoteTypically open by special arrangement only from about mid-June to mid-October, weather and snow permitting. We are not accepting reservations for this facility at this time.

The summit hut, 8 km (5 miles) north of Barcroft Station, was constructed in 1955 on White Mountain Peak at 4342 m (14,242').

The summit hut is supplied from Barcroft station, about a 30-45 minute drive away. Vehicular access is by permission only and 4×4 with high clearance is essential. A snowfield usually blocks the final switchbacks just below the summit lab.

Quillz

Can you hike to the summit any time, or you need a permit?

gonealookin

Quote from: Quillz on October 04, 2022, 02:58:14 PM
Can you hike to the summit any time, or you need a permit?

No need for any permit.  You do need to be in shape because it's no casual walk, it's 7.6 miles each way, all at 11,700 feet or higher, and the last 1.5 miles or so to the summit is quite steep.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/c1ttis8YAu9q8PL38
I really am impressed with this cantilever design of I-405.

I wish FDOT could build their freeways over frontage roads this way.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Plutonic Panda

I wish they would have just built it further over Sepulveda and added a new GP lane plus 3 HOT lanes each way and made Sepulveda BLVD 6 lanes with bike/pedestrian facilities. That would have really done wonders to help with the traffic situation.

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/51335621054/in/album-72157719576559427/
Just curious to know why trucks are diverted from I-580 to I-880 traveling to LA from the Bay Bridge?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kernals12

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.