News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bm7

Today I learned that "#-alarm fire" is a scale of how severe a fire is, and not the number of departments that responded to it.

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on March 24, 2023, 03:48:08 PM
Because bees are industrious.  That's why we say "busy as a bee" and why certain group activities are called "bees". 
I wonder, when "busy as a bee" started to be a thing, if they realized it's only the female bees who are busy, and the males are lazy bums.

US 89

Quote from: GaryV on March 25, 2023, 05:43:50 AM
Quote from: kphoger on March 24, 2023, 03:48:08 PM
Because bees are industrious.  That's why we say "busy as a bee" and why certain group activities are called "bees". 
I wonder, when "busy as a bee" started to be a thing, if they realized it's only the female bees who are busy, and the males are lazy bums.

Well, all the males can really do is mate, and that process involves blowing apart their bodies in order to get to the queen and then dying shortly thereafter. I can see why they'd maybe want to hold off...

1995hoo

Quote from: SectorZ on March 24, 2023, 06:20:38 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 24, 2023, 02:05:25 PM
Why are so many newspapers called "Insert City Bee?"   Near me two of the more prominent papers are the Fresno Bee and Modesto Bee.

Don't forget the Babylon Bee.

The Danville Register & Bee in Virginia (so named because the Register merged with the Bee in 1989).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ZLoth

Does anyone look at a solid state drive...

... and think "This sort of looks like a Atari cartridge"...

...or Nintendo cartridge?

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Poiponen13

I just found out that letter G in word "geek" is harg /g/ and not soft /dʒ/.

ZLoth

Also, the logo for the McClatchy-owned Bees... were done by Walt Disney:

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

vdeane

What is with all the crashes lately?  I swear they have brought the Northway to a stand still during my commute more times in the past couple weeks than in the past two years combined.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on March 30, 2023, 09:18:07 PM
What is with all the crashes lately?  I swear they have brought the Northway to a stand still during my commute more times in the past couple weeks than in the past two years combined.

The weather, perhaps? A lack of snow for much of the winter may mean people are less prepared for it now.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on March 30, 2023, 10:45:24 PM
Quote from: vdeane on March 30, 2023, 09:18:07 PM

The weather, perhaps? A lack of snow for much of the winter may mean people are less prepared for it now.
All of these days have been clear and dry.  Plus we've gotten a bit more snow than Rochester around here.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

If you're in the left lateral recumbent position, does that mean you're right side up?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

What is Wikipedia's AlphaBeta135's username here? Given https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Limon,_Colorado and a whole bunch of other road-related April Fools deletion proposals, I feel like they have to be a member of the forum.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on April 01, 2023, 06:56:13 AM
What is Wikipedia's AlphaBeta135's username here? Given https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Limon,_Colorado and a whole bunch of other road-related April Fools deletion proposals, I feel like they have to be a member of the forum.

Sort of bad timing to be posting frivolous road content to Wikipedia, given the way the "using maps as sources" RFC is going...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: 1 on April 01, 2023, 06:56:13 AM
Don't just delete the entry. Delete the town, and like 10 miles either way of CO 71.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

D-Dey65

Who here has seen this Winn-Dixie commercial?
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/2Su3/winn-dixie-winn-win-twins-for-the-delivery-win
The woman getting food delivered to her house looks like a short Brooke Shields.

Flint1979

I have never seen anyone complain about Limon, Colorado being a control city outside of this forum.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 08, 2023, 08:54:48 AM
I have never seen anyone complain about Limon, Colorado being a control city outside of this forum.

Wikipedia seems to be aware (the person proposing it doesn't seem to be a member of this forum): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Limon,_Colorado (note: April Fools deletion nominations are meant to be jokes and don't actually result in deletion)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Flint1979

I fully support Limon being a control city. There isn't a single thing wrong with it

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on April 08, 2023, 08:59:41 AM

Wikipedia seems to be aware (the person proposing it doesn't seem to be a member of this forum): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Limon,_Colorado (note: April Fools deletion nominations are meant to be jokes and don't actually result in deletion)

Pretty sure Wikipedia is a temporary canvas where many immature and bad ideas wind up when a flimsy argument can't quite weather repeated doses of reality, regardless of hobby or fandom.

SkyPesos

Control City Freak (the creator is on this forum, but the youtube channel isn't this forum)?

mgk920

Like a couple of decades ago when I was totally flummoxed by 'DEL WATER GAP' instead of 'PENNSYLVANIA' on westbound I-80 in New Jersey (Remember, I'm not from that area).

Mike

kphoger

Outside this forum, how many people do you talk with about control cities in western states?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kirbykart

If we just gave Limon some ridiculous name, like "Five Pounds of Werther's Originals Covered in Garlic Mayonnaise", it might become famous and would convince more people of its worthiness of being a control city.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Just rename it "Flamin Hot Cheetos with Limon."

Quote from: kphoger on April 11, 2023, 01:52:21 PM

Outside this forum, how many people do you talk with about control cities in western states?

I can attest to controls cities being a highly contentious topic almost every California highway group on Facebook. 

That said, I've never personally found control cities that interesting.  I've also never had a conversation with a non-road person about control cities either.   I suspect that I never will have a control city conversation with a non-road person.

hotdogPi

Because of this post (i.e. anything under 50% is grounds for a ban), I've become very conscious about my on-topic percentage (defined as anything in the User Content, National Boards, and Regional Boards sections with the exception of Fictional; note that this excludes Travel). I've improved recently, with 35 of my last 100 being on-topic (up from low double digits or even single digits when MMM was active), but it's still below my long-term average of 46%. Wordle is bringing my short-term numbers down, though.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.