News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Fictional Municipality/County Changes

Started by NWI_Irish96, October 05, 2022, 03:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 22, 2023, 09:36:55 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 22, 2023, 09:21:49 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 22, 2023, 01:25:30 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 22, 2023, 01:16:24 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 22, 2023, 12:52:58 PM
In China, there are cities with many rural areas.

How does that contradict anything he said?
What is in China, should also be in US.

Why?

We have Panda Express. What else do we need?

Signs (all signs, not just road signs) in more than one language in areas where it would be useful. Higher density housing. Roads that don't cost ten times as much to build as the rest of the world. Lower-value coins being made of aluminum.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on February 23, 2023, 07:27:36 AM
Signs (all signs, not just road signs) in more than one language in areas where it would be useful.

Isn't it strange that China would have that?  You know, the country that actively works to ensure nationwide conformity?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

Howabout the city limit line of Moscow (as in 'Russia')?

Mike

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on February 23, 2023, 07:27:36 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 22, 2023, 09:36:55 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 22, 2023, 09:21:49 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 22, 2023, 01:25:30 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 22, 2023, 01:16:24 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 22, 2023, 12:52:58 PM
In China, there are cities with many rural areas.

How does that contradict anything he said?
What is in China, should also be in US.

Why?

We have Panda Express. What else do we need?

Signs (all signs, not just road signs) in more than one language in areas where it would be useful.

I see plenty of signs in Oklahoma in both English and Spanish. Just not road signs.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Poiponen13

Atlanta should be consolidated city-county. The north and south Fulton County should revert to former counties.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 26, 2023, 11:09:45 AM
Atlanta should be consolidated city-county. The north and south Fulton County should revert to former counties.
I believe that Atlanta goes into DeKalb County as well. I have actually never liked the awkward shape of Fulton County.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CapeCodder

Create a Uni-gov situation with St. Louis.

Poiponen13

Absorb New York boroughs to single county. Abolish counties and municipalities in North Carolina and replace them by local government areas. Merge counties in Georgia and Kentucky.

Roadgeekteen

How much independent government do the NYC boroughs have?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

GaryV

Quote from: Poiponen13 on March 01, 2023, 02:38:42 PM
Merge counties in Georgia and Kentucky.

Doesn't Tennessee kind of get in the way?   :poke:

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: GaryV on March 01, 2023, 03:25:30 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on March 01, 2023, 02:38:42 PM
Merge counties in Georgia and Kentucky.

Doesn't Tennessee kind of get in the way?   :poke:
Just take Tennessee and push it somewhere else

kirbykart

Quote from: Poiponen13 on November 03, 2022, 11:25:54 AM
Or a long 100% English name: Whitelakemountaincitynearhighwaywhichisverygoodandnearforest.

Reviving one of Poiponen's old city names. This is ridiculous.

bing101

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/georgia-senate-votes-down-bill-to-create-buckhead-city
https://www.wabe.org/georgia-senators-reject-buckhead-efforts-to-leave-atlanta/

Here is one that has been floated around splitting Buckhead district from Atlanta is now rejected by the State of Georgia. Yes this is rife with how State resources are going to be allocated.

This idea is similar to when San Fernando Valley was planning to separate from Los Angeles City Proper but was rejected on the same grounds.

Poiponen13

Back to the thread:

Separate city of Seattle from King County
Separate city of Chicago from Cook County

Chrysler375Freeway

I would merge Philadelphia County into Montgomery County.

LilianaUwU

Merge all of the US counties into a singular county.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

algorerhythms

Quote from: Chrysler375Freeway on September 16, 2023, 09:48:59 PM
It would be awkward for a county government to manage both the city of Philadelphia and the suburbs outside Washington DC.

oscar

Quote from: algorerhythms on September 17, 2023, 12:34:23 AM
Quote from: Chrysler375Freeway on September 16, 2023, 09:48:59 PM
It would be awkward for a county government to manage both the city of Philadelphia and the suburbs outside Washington DC.

18 states have a Montgomery County. I think he means the one in Pennsylvania.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Bruce

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 16, 2023, 07:01:36 AM
Separate city of Seattle from King County

Just have to reorganize everything but the library system. Way too much of the governments are integrated.

hobsini2

Here are some changes I would propose to county borders, splits and merges. Today, I am only doing AL through LA.

AZ (+1):
1. The Navajo Nation area including the Hopi Tribe area within the Navajo Nation becomes Navajo County. Kayenta is the county seat.
2. The former part of Navajo County (Holbrook to Show Low) merges into Apache County. St Johns remains the county seat.
3. Coconino and Mohave Counties north of the Colorado River east to Desert View then a straight line east to the Navajo Nation boundary becomes a new county named Plateau County. Page becomes the county seat.

CA (+3):
1. Monterey County splits along an northeast-southwest line from Big Sur to Pinnacles National Park. Monterey County remains the name for the northern half. The southern half becomes Junipero County after the peak. King City becomes the county seat.
2. Riverside County splits along a north-south line on the Pacific Crest Trail. Riverside County remains the name west of the line. East of the line becomes Joshua County. Indio becomes the county seat.
3. San Bernardino County splits along the Pacific Crest Trail. San Bernardino County remains southwest of the trail. Northeast of the trail becomes Mojave County. Barstow becomes the county seat.

CO (-2):
1. Mineral County gets absorbed by Hinsdale County. Lake City remains the county seat.
2. Dolores County gets absorbed by San Miguel County. Telluride remains the county seat.
3. Baca County extends west into Las Animas County with the new north-south boundary continuing along the Bent-Otero County Line south to New Mexico. Kim is too far from Trinidad. Springfield remains the county seat.

CT (+1):
1. Fairfield County splits into a north and south section continuing the NY-CT line northeast to Housatonic River. Fairfield County remains the name for the southern half with Bridgeport as the county seat. North of that line becomes Samuel County named after Samuel Tweedy. Danbury becomes the county seat.

FL (-1):
1. Escambia County absorbs Santa Rose County. Pensacola is the county seat.
2. Monroe County and Miami Dade County lines change and form a 3rd county. Monroe County is only the Florida Keys as far east as Layton. Key West remains the county seat of Monroe. East of Layton, on the mainland south of 248th St, west of FL 997 and including the former parts of Monroe County becomes a new county named Everglades County. Homestead becomes the county seat.
3. Gilcrest County gets absorbed by Alachua County. Gainesville remains the county seat.

GA (-1):
1. Dade County gets absorbed into Walker County. Lafayette remains the county seat.

HI (+1):
1. Maui County splits with Lanai and Molokai Islnds becoming the new county named Kalohi County. Kaunaakakai becomes the county seat.

ID (-2):
1. Bonner County absorbs Boundary County. Bonners Ferry is the county seat.
2. Jerome County absorbs Lincoln County. Jerome remains the county seat.

IL (-2):
1. Cook County splits starting at the northeast corner of the Cook-DuPage county line, heading east to the Des Plaines River then north along the river to Lake-Cook county line. Cook County remains the south and east of the new boundary. North and west of the boundary becomes Dewar County (named after the inventor of the Twinkie). Arlington Heights becomes the new county seat.
2. Bureau County absorbs Putnam County. Princeton remains the county seat.
3. Alexander County absorbs Pulaski County. Mound City becomes the county seat.
4. Pope County absorbs Hardin County. Golconda remains the county seat.

IN (-2):
1. Parke County absorbs Vermillion County but keeps the Vermillion name. Rockville remains the county seat.
2. Dearborn County absorbs Ohio County. Lawrenceburg is the county seat.

IA (+1):
1. Kossuth County splits and Bancroft County is reformed. Bancroft becomes the county seat.

KS (-8):
1. Morton County absorbs Stevens County but the county seat becomes Hugoton.
2. Grant County absorbs Stanton County and Haskell County. Ulysses is the county seat.
3. Kiowa County aborbs Comanche County. Greensburg is the county seat.
4. Meade County absorbs Clark County. Meade is the county seat.
5. Hamilton County absorbs Kearny County. Syracuse is the county seat.
6. Greeley County absorbs Wichita County. Leoti becomes the county seat.
7. Pawnee County absorbs Edwards County. Kinsley becomes the county seat.

KY (-4):
1. Fulton County absorbs Hickman County. Clinton becomes the county seat.
2. Ballard County absorbs Carlisle County. Wickliffe is the county seat.
3. Trigg County absorbs Lyon County. Cadiz is the county seat.
4. Kenton County absorbs Campbell County. Independence remains the county seat.
5. Bracken County absorbs Robertson County. Brooksville is the county seat.
6. Pike County splits into 2 with th county boundary being the Levisa Fork River including Fishtrap Lake. Pike County remains north of the boundary. South of the boundary becomes Langley County named after Katherine Langley who was the first woman elected to Congress from KY. Elkhorn City becomes the county seat.

LA (-1):
1. The unattached part of St Martin Parish is absorbed into Assumption Parish.
2. East Feliciana and West Feliciana Parishes merge to become Feliciana Parish. Jackson becomes the county seat.

Next time, I will do ME through OR. The last section will be PA through WY.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hobsini2 on September 24, 2023, 12:19:36 PM
IN (-2):
1. Parke County absorbs Vermillion County but keeps the Vermillion name. Rockville remains the county seat.
2. Dearborn County absorbs Ohio County. Lawrenceburg is the county seat.

I hadn't considered Parke/Vermillion before but I rather like it. These are the ones I'd previously suggested.

Switzerland and Ohio
Fayette and Union
Warren and Benton
Daviess and Martin
Crawford and Perry
Blackford and Jay
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jmd41280

I remember years ago there was some talk about merging Pittsburgh and Allegheny County. As it stands now, Allegheny County has 130 individual municipalities, ranging from Pittsburgh (pop. 302,971) to Haysville (pop. 81). As far as I remember, it never went beyond just talk, though.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

oscar

HI (+1):
1. Maui County splits with Lanai and Molokai Islnds becoming the new county named Kalohi County. Kaunaakakai becomes the county seat.

Molokai island is split, with most of it part of Maui County, but a small and low-population fragment comprises Kalawao County. That might change in the not-too-distant future, but be patient.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

pianocello

FL (-1):
3. Gilcrest County (sic) gets absorbed by Alachua County. Gainesville remains the county seat.

Funny you should mention this one. Gilchrist was actually the most recent county to be established in Florida, having broken off from Alachua County in 1925 due to the locals' perception of a disproportionate influence in county matters from Gainesville. 100 years later, there's a grassroots campaign to do the same thing with the western half of present-day Alachua County for the same reason.

FWIW, I don't think the arguments by the Springs County movement are strong enough to justify the logistical challenge of breaking up a county and its school district, highway department, etc. And their proposed eastern border is ridiculous.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.