News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wisconsin "AHEAD" sign usage

Started by tman, October 27, 2022, 11:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: tman on November 01, 2022, 10:54:21 PM
Quote from: skluth on November 01, 2022, 12:35:46 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2022, 09:53:52 AM
Quote from: skluth on October 31, 2022, 07:14:25 PM
the meaning is clear unless you're trying to make it more complicated than it really is.

I agree in general.  I can just also see how someone might interpret it as meaning that the exit for that route is ahead instead.

But the main thing is that it's unnecessary.  Just leave off the word 'AHEAD' entirely, or else put down-arrows.  Either one is less ambiguous, in my opinion.

I don't see how 'AHEAD' is any more ambiguous than down arrows. Both are guiding you to the highway you want. It seems to me that some drivers want more guidance at a future point if they see 'AHEAD' while they don't with down arrows. Yet it's just as likely that the routing for the highway you are on exits shortly down the road when a sign uses down arrows as much as any verbal guidance. To me, this just looks like someone looking for a reason to complain because it's not being done how they want it done.

If I came off as though I was complaining about the practice, I didn't intend to... I don't mind this by any means (and do actually find it to be an interesting localism from Wisconsin), but was just trying to see if there were other places where such signs were common, or if anyone knew the purpose of the word in the manner that it is used here (particularly when the route doesn't change, as in the second link in the original post - those are the ones that seem more interesting to me).
Don't think it ever came up - CT uses "JUNCTION" advance signs, which is fine except when you're on a multiplex it junctions both routes as they split.

J N Winkler

There is no language in the current Wisconsin MUTCD--which, as far as I can tell, is an interspersed supplement to the federal MUTCD--that specifically supports "Ahead" sign usage.  My interpretation, based on limited field observation supplemented by Google StreetView, is that they have traditionally been used on freeways and expressways (not conventional-road highways) to indicate the beginnings of overlaps where the current roadway gains a new route, but not for the ends of overlaps where routes are dropped, and also not on the joining routes in either direction.

The Beltline interchange mentioned in the OP, where US 18 and US 151 join US 12 and US 14, is an example of this:  an "Ahead" sign is used on the Beltline itself in the eastbound direction (two routes become four), but not in the westbound (four routes become two), and not in either direction for traffic following US 18 and US 151 (the joining routes).

STH 16/STH 67 north of Oconomowoc is another example--here the roadway carrying STH 16 gains STH 67.

This said, I am not sure how tightly "Ahead" signs are confined to this usage pattern in Wisconsin nowadays.  They can conceptually be used as pull-through signs even in cases where routes don't join the current roadway, though it is inefficient to do so--the vanilla MUTCD approach calls for shields, cardinal direction words, destinations, or arrows as needed, not "Ahead."  I-90 in La Crosse has at least two examples of "Ahead" used in this way (1, 2).  Moreover, not all situations that would seem to qualify for "Ahead" signs on the basis of established usage do in fact have them.  The bypasses of Dodgeville (full freeway) and Burlington (expressway) don't appear to have any, for example.

Though "Ahead" signs do exist elsewhere (as others have pointed out), I do not know of any other US jurisdictions that use them consistently with overlaps as WisDOT has historically done.  They are very much a WisDOT heirloom, just like "Turn Off" signs are for Caltrans.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

skluth

Quote from: tman on November 01, 2022, 10:54:21 PM
Quote from: skluth on November 01, 2022, 12:35:46 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2022, 09:53:52 AM
Quote from: skluth on October 31, 2022, 07:14:25 PM
the meaning is clear unless you're trying to make it more complicated than it really is.

I agree in general.  I can just also see how someone might interpret it as meaning that the exit for that route is ahead instead.

But the main thing is that it's unnecessary.  Just leave off the word 'AHEAD' entirely, or else put down-arrows.  Either one is less ambiguous, in my opinion.

I don't see how 'AHEAD' is any more ambiguous than down arrows. Both are guiding you to the highway you want. It seems to me that some drivers want more guidance at a future point if they see 'AHEAD' while they don't with down arrows. Yet it's just as likely that the routing for the highway you are on exits shortly down the road when a sign uses down arrows as much as any verbal guidance. To me, this just looks like someone looking for a reason to complain because it's not being done how they want it done.

If I came off as though I was complaining about the practice, I didn't intend to... I don't mind this by any means (and do actually find it to be an interesting localism from Wisconsin), but was just trying to see if there were other places where such signs were common, or if anyone knew the purpose of the word in the manner that it is used here (particularly when the route doesn't change, as in the second link in the original post - those are the ones that seem more interesting to me).

Your original post didn't and you haven't. But others have to the point of being overly pedantic even for AA Roads. The use of "AHEAD" is admittedly different. But it's not much different than variances used by other states.

Frankly, I think it would be easier if the US just went to the international conventions used by signs which get rid of words almost entirely. I didn't have any problems with those signs when I was stationed in Spain back in the 80s; we all had to pass a written test to get a supplemental Spanish license which allowed us to drive in Spain as long as we had a stateside license. But that would be an entirely new discussion. EDIT: I added a thread for this in the General Highway Talk discussions for those who want to discuss it.

invincor

There are at least two of these in my area.   When you're on I-94 westbound heading towards Hudson, two highways join on.  First you get westbound U.S. 12 at Exit 4, and then northbound WIS 35 at Exit 3.  I know there's at least a  "NORTH 35 AHEAD" sign here.  (and now I can't remember if they do one for 12 as well... maybe not since it's joining on all the way to Minneapolis and will get hidden by Minnesota anyway at the state line)

In River Falls, on the southbound WIS 35 expressway, we get a "SOUTH 65 AHEAD" sign at the junction with 65.

webny99

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 02, 2022, 12:18:01 AM
My interpretation, based on limited field observation supplemented by Google StreetView, is that they have traditionally been used on freeways and expressways (not conventional-road highways) to indicate the beginnings of overlaps where the current roadway gains a new route, but not for the ends of overlaps where routes are dropped, and also not on the joining routes in either direction.

When you put it that way, that actually makes some degree of sense to me.

Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2022, 09:26:04 AM
To me, it sounds like there will be an intersection or exit coming up for those routes.

In most cases, there actually is. The upcoming "intersection" is simply another route joining the same roadway.

jzn110

I'm pretty sure the Michigan version of "Ahead" is "Straight Thru" and/or just down arrows indicating the thru lanes.

I can see where "Ahead" could be confusing to out-of-staters who are used to different verbiage. Personally I interpret "Ahead" as meaning there's something coming up I should look out for, but I get that they intend it as a shorthand for "keep going straight."

Dialects are wild.

GeekJedi

Having grown up in Wisconsin, I don't see anything wrong with them. No matter how you want to interpret them, the named highway is ahead, whether straight, or an exit, or whatever. Just like stop ahead or signal ahead. The highway is ahead. After that road joins, there are always reassurance markers to identify it.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

kphoger

Right.  If the sign says "stop ahead", then you have to look out for the stop sign that's just up ahead.  If the sign says "signal ahead", then you have to look out for the signal that's just up ahead.  If the sign says "US 12 ahead", then–assuming you want to follow US-12–you have to look out for US-12 that's just up ahead.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

triplemultiplex

I can't think of any "AHEAD" signs WisDOT has put up recently, so I think this might be a legacy from another era.  The overhead BGS on any recent project I can think of uses the 'arrow per lane' standard.
Going from memory, though, so maybe they have used more AHEAD signs recently and I just didn't notice.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

J N Winkler

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 04, 2022, 02:39:03 PMI can't think of any "AHEAD" signs WisDOT has put up recently, so I think this might be a legacy from another era.  The overhead BGS on any recent project I can think of uses the 'arrow per lane' standard.

Going from memory, though, so maybe they have used more AHEAD signs recently and I just didn't notice.

Here are a few examples in chronological order from my stash of recent WisDOT sign panel detail sheets (WisDOT project number and letting date):

*  1000-20-73:  May 12, 2015 (STH 32/STH 54 overlap in Green Bay)

*  1000-20-74:  June 14, 2016 (I-94 Milwaukee apparently at the I-39/I-90/I-94 complex east of Madison)

*  1020-06-75:  June 13, 2017 (I-94 just across the St. Croix River)

*  1060-33-82:  December 12, 2017 (I-94 auxiliary lanes in Waukesha County)

*  1000-20-76:  May 8, 2018 (STH 55 and STH 47 in the Appleton area)

*  1007-12-79:  June 9, 2020 (I-39 Illinois state line-Madison)

So it seems they are still in use.  However, quite a few of these contracts are sign replacements (first four digits of 1000 in the WisDOT project number).  Besides carbon-copying often being easier, I wouldn't expect to see "Ahead" signs in locations involving option lanes, as those are better catered for using APLs or stippled-arrow diagrammatics (WisDOT uses both).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JoePCool14

An AHEAD sign has also snuck south into Illinois recently.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9839765,-87.8424591,3a,63.7y,95.87h,91.95t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sNZJdws-8D_dTX7dpWB15GQ!2e0!5s20211201T000000!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

However, this one is probably only this way because it was patched on. I'm almost certain it used to say Left 3 Lanes underneath.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

J N Winkler

Closing out the search for "Ahead" signs in the stash:

*  1228-18-60:  March 11, 2014 (I-43 Milwaukee-Ozaukee--sign is for STH 57 North/Plymouth)

*  7028-00-60:  November 10, 2015 (STH 312 Eau Claire)

*  1071-06-83:  December 13, 2016 (I-90 at Mississippi River)

*  1206-07-75:  July 11, 2017 (Beltline signs)

*  1166-12-80:  December 12, 2017 (I-39 Portage County, US 10/STH 66 overlap)

*  1206-06-79:  December 8, 2020 (more Beltline signs)

triplemultiplex

So much for my dumb memory. :P
I guess I'm so used to AHEAD signs being there, I don't even notice them any more.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

StogieGuy7

Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 04, 2022, 04:31:13 PM
An AHEAD sign has also snuck south into Illinois recently.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9839765,-87.8424591,3a,63.7y,95.87h,91.95t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sNZJdws-8D_dTX7dpWB15GQ!2e0!5s20211201T000000!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

However, this one is probably only this way because it was patched on. I'm almost certain it used to say Left 3 Lanes underneath.

Yep, I've actually seen a couple "AHEAD" signs in IL - but it's nothing like WI.

Speaking of which, when I first moved to the midwest, I had to guess what "AHEAD" meant. Because it implies an upcoming intersection of some sort. I soon realized that it means "straight ahead" which could be much more easily (and cheaply) communicated with downward facing arrows like you see in most of the rest of the world. You do get those "THRU TRAFFIC" signs in parts of the east, but they're dedicated signs and not nearly as ubiquitous as the WISDOT "Ahead" signage.

chrismarion100

GeekJedi

Here's one that took me by surprise. It actually had a mileage sign underneath it!

https://goo.gl/maps/1H8LqqsKk9g2rjGv9

hobsini2

Quote from: GeekJedi on February 11, 2023, 12:51:51 PM
Here's one that took me by surprise. It actually had a mileage sign underneath it!

That makes a ton of sense though. It probably should have an overhead gantry at the exit though.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

mgk920

Quote from: hobsini2 on February 12, 2023, 09:36:02 AM

That makes a ton of sense though. It probably should have an overhead gantry at the exit though.

It leads to the trumpet interchange at I-39.  At that interchange, US 10 is the single right lane splitting to the right and the left lane splits to the left and becomes the ramp to northbound I-39, one must  slow down just a little bit for the very broad trumpet loop.

Mike

Mike

GeekJedi

Quote from: mgk920 on February 12, 2023, 10:29:26 AM

It leads to the trumpet interchange at I-39.  At that interchange, US 10 is the single right lane splitting to the right and the left lane splits to the left and becomes the ramp to northbound I-39, one must  slow down just a little bit for the very broad trumpet loop.

Mike

Mike

This is on I-39 South before you get to west US 10.

mgk920

Quote from: GeekJedi on February 12, 2023, 02:54:10 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on February 12, 2023, 10:29:26 AM

Mike

Mike

This is on I-39 South before you get to west US 10.

Ahhh, my error. :-p

Mike

paulthemapguy

I kind of like the practice. I think the intent is to provide a big BGS reassurance marker, but the sign is next to other directional signage to other roads and points. So Wisconsin wanted to clearly distinguish the reassurance marker from the guide signage by adding the word "ahead".  It's a little more direct than just putting up a sign that says "I-39/US51 NORTH-Wausau" with no other content- if it's next to a sign that says "WI-16 Portage ->", people might wonder where the arrow or the mileage is on the reassurance for 39/51.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

thspfc

Here's a unique one, featuring everyone's favorite uncontroversial town:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.5964282,-88.7334678,3a,36.2y,59.37h,90.4t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sBjssR_9McPL9tdQrNnRn3g!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DBjssR_9McPL9tdQrNnRn3g%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D38.03614%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

This is leading up to the southernmost US-151/WI-26 interchange in Waupun, telling "Rosendale" (WI-26 (Fox Valley/Green Bay)) traffic to stay on US-151 until the northern WI-26 split.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.