News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-67: TN, KY, IN

Started by mukade, October 25, 2011, 06:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnewkirk77

Quote from: hbelkins on November 15, 2012, 10:17:33 AM
http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/Owensboro-officials-tout-interstate-study-179462351.html

Funny that they talk about building the route without tolls vs. with tolls, since it would follow one of Kentucky's former toll roads.

It would have to be tolled, wouldn't it?  I mean, Indiana says they don't have the money to finish I-69 from Bloomington to Indy, so where would the money to fill the gaps and build I-67 come from?  And I'm sure there's no money in Frankfort for Kentucky to upgrade 60/231 NE of Owensboro and the Natcher Parkway to Interstate standards.

Just convince AASHTO to move the 231 designation to the Natcher in KY and continue upgrading 231 in IN as funds become available.  It makes a helluva lot more sense, at least to me ... and once approved, Kentucky's part could be done in days, not years.

mukade

The construction of an Interstate 67 corridor, which would connect Dubois County to Indianapolis and Owensboro, could be fast-tracked if the project is ranked as a priority by a government-appointed commission at the end of the year...

Initiative has I-67 on short list of critical roads (Indiana Economic Digest)

mrose

Would US 31 be better suited to I-67 anyway?

tdindy88

Two things to add on this subject, first of all, won't a new interchange have to be built on I-69 then, after all the construction we've already done (minus the repaving being done and small additions such as lighting.) Second then, if you're going from Owensboro to Indianapolis, how does going to Washington make it quicker, won't heading north toward Loogootee and Crane provide a straighter route?

mukade

Quote from: mrose on April 23, 2013, 07:32:19 PM
Would US 31 be better suited to I-67 anyway?

Both US 231 south and US 31 north could be I-67. Part of current SR 37 would be I-67 and I-69.

Somehow, I think I-67 is a longshot.

mukade

Quote from: tdindy88 on April 23, 2013, 07:38:46 PM
Two things to add on this subject, first of all, won't a new interchange have to be built on I-69 then, after all the construction we've already done (minus the repaving being done and small additions such as lighting.) Second then, if you're going from Owensboro to Indianapolis, how does going to Washington make it quicker, won't heading north toward Loogootee and Crane provide a straighter route?

I agree, the Washington routing makes no sense.

In all honesty, this does not need to be a freeway - US 231 south of I-64 is a very nice highway. Jasper and Huntingburg do need a good bypass, though. 

ShawnP

I wouldn't build it to full freeway standards but a upgradeable expressway for the future.

thefro

Quote from: ShawnP on April 23, 2013, 08:39:01 PM
I wouldn't build it to full freeway standards but a upgradeable expressway for the future.

After all the other road projects in Indiana get funded, sure.

You don't need a freeway that'll service 20,000 people total who can just drive 5-10 miles to I-64 or I-69.

Captain Jack

silverback1065

The need for this road is suspect at best in Indiana.

tdindy88

I'm reminded of the Lord of the Rings with Daviess County here.

"What about an interstate?"
"You already have one."
"We have one yes. What about a second interstate?"

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 13, 2013, 02:36:25 PM
I'm reminded of the Lord of the Rings with Daviess County here.

"What about an interstate?"
"You already have one."
"We have one yes. What about a second interstate?"

Haha great line.  But it is true, isn't 69 good enough?  Would a 4 lane divided highway style US 231 also be good enough?

andy

I find the last few comments amusing, but it should be noted the origin of I-67 was for Jasper to revive a killed Major Moves study to four lane US231 through Dubois Co and around Jasper. Washington is simply the shortest (and presumably cheapest) closure to I-69. 

Daviess County (Indiana) only joined later to feed their quest for power.

That being said, if "I-67" were built, the local terrain (forest and White River) and new terrain build distance between Haysville and I-69 might make Washington sensible despite the extra distance added to the total trip.

But then again, how many drivers would look at the map and think US 231 was a shortcut worth trying?

As a fictional highway, finishing US231 as an interstate quality road between Crane and Dale would make a reasonable alternative for Indy to Nashville.  (Particularly with no I-69 bridge over the Ohio River.)

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on April 29, 2014, 07:52:00 PM
This article (behind $1.00 paywall) ....
Owensboro Mayor Payne has also been speaking with the folks in Indiana:
Owensboro Mayor Ron Payne has been leading the charge to get an interstate through Owensboro or to get the city connected to an interstate via a four-lane highway.
An Indiana Department of Transportation official met Friday with Payne and Kentucky Sen. Joe Bowen and confirmed Monday that he anticipates Indiana will take a look at a four-lane connector linking Owensboro to I-69 in southern Indiana.
He said Indiana sees a lot of value in a connection from I-69 through the Jasper-Huntingburg area to Owensboro and on to I-65 in Nashville and points south.

Payne said Tuesday that he's really pleased to hear a date for the Palmer study's release and he's anxious to see what it says.
"But that doesn't mean we've completely stopped our efforts here in Owensboro," the mayor said. "We're going to continue working to get Owensboro on the interstate system."
Payne said after talking to the INDOT official, he's excited about "two good options" for getting that done -- the Natcher Parkway becoming a connector to I-65 or something similar to the north, connecting to I-69.
"If the four-lane connector becomes one of Indiana's top five projects, then this thing is going to be built in my lifetime," Payne said. "A four-lane road out of Owensboro all the way to Indianapolis would be so good for economic development. We have so many exciting things happening here, but one thing we lack is connectivity. And I can't wait to see what the Palmer study says."
(above quote from KYTC to Study Interstate Upgrades For Audubon and Natcher Parkways thread)
Quote from: Grzrd on May 31, 2014, 11:59:41 PM
This article (behind $1.00 paywall)
The Palmer study concluded that the cost to create an I-67 corridor out of sections of U.S. 60 and U.S. 231 in and near Owensboro – from the U.S. 60 bypass to the Indiana state line – will cost $177 million, not including property purchase or utility relocation ....
One finding in the report that Payne and Amy Jackson, president of the Greater Owensboro Chamber of Commerce, found especially encouraging was a paragraph stating that the Natcher Bridge meets all the minimum standards for interstate highway bridges.
"That is phenomenal news," Payne said. "Our bridge is interstate compliant, with no exceptions." ....
The I-67 overview summary in the Palmer report concluded the following: "Based on the findings of this high-level overview for the sections of U.S. 60 and U.S. 231, a majority of the corridor meets the Federal Highway Administration's 13 design features that have been identified as being important to the operational and safety performance of a highway."
The single highest cost item for the I-67 corridor is $60 million to overhaul the intersection of the Natcher Parkway and the former U.S. 60 bypass, followed by $55 million to control access to U.S. 60 and U.S. 231 using frontage roads.
(above quote from KYTC to Study Interstate Upgrades For Audubon and Natcher Parkways thread)

As also previously mentioned in the above post, KYTC has posted the I-67 report:

http://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/Pages/Project-Details.aspx?Project=I-67%20Corridor%20Overview

Grzrd

This article (behind $1.00 pay wall) reports that it would cost approximately $600 million for the Indiana section of I-67:

... Kevin McClearn, chief district engineer for District 2 of the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet.
McClearn was in Owensboro on Monday, presenting the findings of a new report that looked at what it would take to elevate the Audubon and Natcher parkways and sections of U.S. 60 and U.S. 231 and the William Natcher Bridge in Owensboro to federal interstate standards ....
Of the several cost figures tossed out Monday, one was that it will cost $243 million to upgrade the Natcher Parkway from Bowling Green to the Natcher Bridge. Then Indiana would have to spend up to $600 million to carry an interstate-compliant road from the Natcher Bridge to Washington, Indiana, where it would connect to I-69. That route amounts to the I-67 that local leaders have also called for.

andy3175

Quote from: Grzrd on June 03, 2014, 10:58:19 PM
This article (behind $1.00 pay wall) reports that it would cost approximately $600 million for the Indiana section of I-67:

... Kevin McClearn, chief district engineer for District 2 of the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet.
McClearn was in Owensboro on Monday, presenting the findings of a new report that looked at what it would take to elevate the Audubon and Natcher parkways and sections of U.S. 60 and U.S. 231 and the William Natcher Bridge in Owensboro to federal interstate standards ....
Of the several cost figures tossed out Monday, one was that it will cost $243 million to upgrade the Natcher Parkway from Bowling Green to the Natcher Bridge. Then Indiana would have to spend up to $600 million to carry an interstate-compliant road from the Natcher Bridge to Washington, Indiana, where it would connect to I-69. That route amounts to the I-67 that local leaders have also called for.

Thanks for the citations. Has there been any traction for I-67 in Indiana? I know Owensboro has expressed interest in getting on I-69 (and may have to settle with being on a spur of I-69 or a spur of I-66), but has Owensboro been trying for I-67 as a second best alternative if they can't get on I-69? Has there been a cost estimate provided just to get I-67 constructed from the Ohio River bridge up to I-64?
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

jnewkirk77

Quote from: andy3175 on June 04, 2014, 01:06:34 AM

Thanks for the citations. Has there been any traction for I-67 in Indiana? I know Owensboro has expressed interest in getting on I-69 (and may have to settle with being on a spur of I-69 or a spur of I-66), but has Owensboro been trying for I-67 as a second best alternative if they can't get on I-69? Has there been a cost estimate provided just to get I-67 constructed from the Ohio River bridge up to I-64?

Only in Mayor Payne's mind. Fortunately for the rest of us with any damned sense around here, Indiana's up to its ears with I-69 and other projects. It has some support in Jasper and Washington (IN), but the general consensus is that if "I-67" is ever built, it'll have to wait until other more pressing projects get done.

I don't think Indiana is even thinking cost estimates at this point. They're still too busy laughing at Payne's notion of routing I-69 through here - which the esteemed Messenger-Inquirer keeps insisting (yes, even today in an editorial behind that wall) is a fabulous idea but everyone else sees as pure foolishness.

andy

Jasper had a draft environmental impact for a four lane US231 bypass around the east side up to the county line/river (Haysville) until the money got swallowed up by I-69.  Some think an I-67 could revive the plans.  They should go back to arguing the local merit instead of trying to tie it to this fiasco.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 01, 2014, 11:06:17 AM
KYTC has posted the I-67 report:
http://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/Pages/Project-Details.aspx?Project=I-67%20Corridor%20Overview
Indiana would have to spend up to $600 million to carry an interstate-compliant road from the Natcher Bridge to Washington, Indiana, where it would connect to I-69.
Quote from: andy3175 on June 04, 2014, 01:06:34 AM
Has there been any traction for I-67 in Indiana? I know Owensboro has expressed interest in getting on I-69 (and may have to settle with being on a spur of I-69 or a spur of I-66), but has Owensboro been trying for I-67 as a second best alternative if they can't get on I-69?
Quote from: thefro on July 10, 2014, 08:41:54 AM
A report by a Blue Ribbon Panel commissioned by Governor Pence makes recommendations about future transportation priorities in Indiana
Firstly, the report lists as the highest-priority to finish existing projects ...
2) I-69 Extension from Evansville to Indianapolis ....
For future road projects, there are 3 tiers
Tier 1 Projects:
3) I-69 Ohio River Bridge ....
Tier 2 Projects:
3) Mid-States Corridor (I-67 upgrade of US 231 and connector to I-69 near Petersburg) ....
Tier 3 Projects ....
(bottom quote from Indiana Notes thread)

thefro's summary from the Blue Ribbon Panel's report indicates that, on the Indiana side of the Ohio River, I-67 is in the "second four" of future project priorities and that both completion of the I-69 Extension and the I-69 Ohio River Bridge are higher priorities than I-67.

jnewkirk77

I still don't expect to see 67 built in my lifetime, and you shouldn't either.

billtm

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on July 11, 2014, 03:05:37 PM
I still don't expect to see 67 built in my lifetime, and you shouldn't either.

I don't expect to see this segment of I-67, but I do expect to see it from Indy to Mackinaw City

SW Indiana

I wonder why local businesses are pushing this project so much as opposed to an actual US 231 bypass around Jasper/Huntingburg? Perhaps they're worried a bypass will negatively affect business.

silverback1065

Quote from: SW Indiana on July 12, 2014, 08:01:10 PM
I wonder why local businesses are pushing this project so much as opposed to an actual US 231 bypass around Jasper/Huntingburg? Perhaps they're worried a bypass will negatively affect business.

because people think interstate=more money/business/jobs

Grzrd

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on June 10, 2014, 12:41:19 AM
No one here that I know of takes the Messenger-Inquirer seriously.
(above quote from I-69 Ohio River Bridge thread)
Quote from: jnewkirk77 on July 11, 2014, 03:05:37 PM
I still don't expect to see 67 built in my lifetime

This July 14 Messenger-Inquirer article (behind $1.00 paywall) reports that promoters of the project have stopped referring to it as "I-67" in favor of "Mid-State Corridor ("M-SC")" and that the M-SC should be started in the next five to ten years, probably as a toll road:

... the Mid-State Corridor -- formerly called I-67 -- from Pike County, Indiana, to the Natcher Bridge east of Owensboro should be started in the next five to 10 years.
"I feel really good about it," Hank Menke, chairman of the I-67 Development Corp., and a member of the blue ribbon panel, said Monday. "This is where we wanted to be. I'm very excited." ....
The federal Highway Trust Fund, which is funded by an 18.3 cents per gallon tax on gas and a 24.4 cents per gallon tax on diesel fuel, is running out of money because of a combination of more fuel-efficient vehicles and people driving less.
And that might mean that the Mid-State Corridor, which is expected to cost Indiana $444 million -- and Kentucky $177 million for work on this side -- would have to be built as a toll road, Menke said.
"We may have to use tolls," he said
. "That's how we used to build highways in this country. If it takes tolls, so be it. We can't rely on the federal government for anything today."
Jackson said the Owensboro chamber hasn't taken a survey of its members on the issue of tolls on the proposed Indiana four-lane.
"We'd have to weigh the costs and the benefits," she said. "But the federal highway fund is dried up, so we have to be creative."
The blue ribbon panel recommended that Indiana build 29.6 miles of new four-lane road south from Petersburg in northern Pike County to connect with the existing four lanes of U.S. 231 near Dale, Indiana.
That new 25.8-mile four-lane section of U.S. 231 would have to be upgraded to the Natcher Bridge ....
The promoters of the project, including Owensboro and Daviess County officials, dropped the I-67 name because only federal officials can create an interstate highway.
But Menke said the group still wants to see I-67.
"Our goal is to get an interstate designation once we start building the highway
," he said. "That interstate symbol is very important to communities." ....
"I feel really good about it," Menke said. "The stars are really aligning for this project. It's been submitted to the governor. Now, it's up to him to run with it."
The Mid-State Corridor should pick up a lot of traffic because it will allow people heading south on I-65 to detour slightly and bypass congestion in both Indianapolis and Louisville, Menke said.
He said, "I want to thank everybody in Owensboro for their support on this project. There's been a lot of work on both sides of the river."

Indiana would have to spend up to $600 million to carry an interstate-compliant road from the Natcher Bridge to Washington, Indiana, where it would connect to I-69. That route amounts to the I-67 that local leaders have also called for.

The July 14 article also reports that Indiana's share of the M-SC would be $444 million, not $600 million:

And that might mean that the Mid-State Corridor, which is expected to cost Indiana $444 million -- and Kentucky $177 million for work on this side -- would have to be built as a toll road, Menke said.

It is worth noting that the M-I also refers to the project as the "Mid-State Connector" in both the headline and certain places in the article.  Regardless, I have to agree that, by whatever name, it probably will not be built during my lifetime.

codyg1985

I still fail to see why this is needed, either as a free road or a toll road.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.