News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Should I chance it?

Started by US 41, July 06, 2014, 03:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I take my '95 Neon on a 66 hour drive?

Yes
6 (37.5%)
No
10 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

US 41

I have a 1995 Dodge Neon. This Christmas I was wanting to go to Mazatlan, Mexico and drive the new autopista from Durango to Mazatlan. My car doesn't really have any problems. It once in a while will leak fluids, but putting more in isn't a problem since I check them regularly. The last issue I had with it was the negative on the battery corroded and it wouldn't start. I cleaned it and it purrs like a kitten again. I am kind of nervous taking my car that far, especially since I'll be in Mexico for a few days, but I really want to drive there. Should I chance it?
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

US71

Quote from: US 41 on July 06, 2014, 03:55:58 PM
I have a 1995 Dodge Neon. This Christmas I was wanting to go to Mazatlan, Mexico and drive the new autopista from Durango to Mazatlan. My car doesn't really have any problems. It once in a while will leak fluids, but putting more in isn't a problem since I check them regularly. The last issue I had with it was the negative on the battery corroded and it wouldn't start. I cleaned it and it purrs like a kitten again. I am kind of nervous taking my car that far, especially since I'll be in Mexico for a few days, but I really want to drive there. Should I chance it?
Would you feel comfortable doing it? Or would you be nervous the whole trip?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US 41

Quote from: US71 on July 06, 2014, 04:50:45 PM
Quote from: US 41 on July 06, 2014, 03:55:58 PM
Would you feel comfortable doing it? Or would you be nervous the whole trip?

I'd feel pretty comfortable for the most part. The things that have went wrong with it in the past have been very cheap and easy fixes. I'm more nervous about breaking down in Mexico than anything. Mainly because I'm not fluent in Spanish. 

froggie

I wouldn't...not with a Neon.  My '98 Neon didn't even make it to 100K before it was destined for the junk heap...and I had problems long before that (namely the transmission).

US 41

Quote from: froggie on July 06, 2014, 05:21:53 PM
I wouldn't...not with a Neon.  My '98 Neon didn't even make it to 100K before it was destined for the junk heap...and I had problems long before that (namely the transmission).

Mine has 146,000 miles. It has definitely been driven a lot, mainly by me. When I bought it last year it had 116,000 on it. I drive way too much just for the fun of it.

formulanone

I put 162,000 miles on mine (also a '95) until it met its demise thanks to 3000 pounds of other moving vehicle. No catastrophic engine problems, same clutch, needed A/C work too frequently, but fairly solid with some TLC...although it was quite worn out and squeaky after seven years (on a limited budget, too). Personally, I think an advantage of a vehicle like a Neon is it probably draws little to no attention towards itself.

Scott5114

If you're worried enough about it that you have to ask, it's probably a bad idea. Is renting a car feasible? If you could find an agency that specializes in renting for trips to Mexico, they may be able to help with the paperwork involved in importing the car to Mexico.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

I don't have any experience with a Neon, but then again, I didn't expect to have a serpentine belt break on me last summer in Missouri and no one in Springfield having the replacement belt in stock.

You could always have a trusted mechanic look your car over and recommend any maintenance that needs to be done, or advise you about driving it that distance.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 06, 2014, 09:31:55 PM
If you're worried enough about it that you have to ask, it's probably a bad idea. Is renting a car feasible? If you could find an agency that specializes in renting for trips to Mexico, they may be able to help with the paperwork involved in importing the car to Mexico.

Good luck finding a U.S.-based rental agency that will let you take one of its vehicles into Mexico.  Probably better off looking for a Mexican agency, and get yourself there to pick up the car in Mexico (either fly or drive to a border city, or fly to an interior city like Monterrey).

I second Scott's advice about taking a doubtful car on a long road trip.  I've driven into some remote areas with higher-mileage cars, but my cars get lots of preventive maintenance to minimize the risk of breakdowns out in the middle of nowhere.  Then again, it sounds like your car isn't at high risk for a breakdown, and investing in some preventive maintenance before you leave might both minimize your breakdown risk and make you less nervous about it.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Scott5114

Maybe you could find a place to park the Neon on the US side of the border, then cross the border and head to the rental agency on foot/by taxi?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JREwing78

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: HELL No! :)

corco

Do it, man, it'll be an adventure.

Honestly, there's good mechanics down there that are a lot cheaper than a mechanic north of the border, and probably a larger percentage of the population has the skills to fix a car. Friend of mine drove down recently in an 87 Land Cruiser and had to get his car fixed en route. Just don't push the car by driving insanely fast, though you wouldn't be doing that in Mexico anyway, and have time built in for delays.

That said, if you're taking care of your car and you trust it, you probably won't have any issue. You might, so be prepared for it, but I don't think it's the end of the world if you do. Especially once you're more than 100 miles inside the border where Mexico is safe, you'll find they're typically a lot more willing to help out than Americans are. If you're on D roads, the Angeles Verdes patrol fairly frequently to assist stranded travelers. Have 078 stored in your phone if you need to call them. Learn enough Spanish to be able to describe the location of your car (basically know your numbers so you can identify the nearest kilometer post). Honestly, I'd much rather be stranded on a toll road in interior Mexico than most places in the United States. Mexico doesn't do many things better than the US,but they sure do know how to do roadside assistance.

agentsteel53

what corco said.

but first, have a good mechanic look over the car.

'it leaks fluids sometimes' may or may not be troubling.  oil's the one for which the occasional drip can be maintained through judicious refill; if one of my cars is leaking coolant or transmission fluid, it's going to the shop immediately.

that said, corco is correct on quality inexpensive mechanics down there.  I once had a car start spurting transmission fluid.  the pan gasket had gone out.  I got it patched up with rubber cement in an hour for 200 pesos - not a permanent fix, but good enough to make it back to the US.  if I had been more patient, I could have sourced a correct replacement part in a day or two.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US 41

Thank you for all the replies. One of the main reasons I was wanting to go in December was so it would be easier on my car (so my car won't overheat). I was planning on driving 55-65 mph most of the way. The trip should take me a little more than a week, but I'm going to give myself 2 weeks to complete the trip. My car only leaks coolant and oil, but very very slowly. I'll make sure to have plenty of that if I go.
   Someone mentioned something about Cuidad Juarez. I'm not going there. My route in Mexico will be 85D south from Nuevo Laredo to Monterrey; 40D from Monterrey to Mazatlan; and 15D from Mazatlan to Nogales. I am really hoping that I can do this trip. The new 40D from Durango to Mazatlan is what I'm really looking forward to seeing.
   If I can go, I think I will probably chance it with the Neon. It's a good little car and if I do happen to break down, I'll just get it fixed and continue on. Nothing major has ever went wrong with it. Since I'll be on the toll roads in Mexico, I feel more comfortable knowing that the Green Angels will help me out if something does happen. I got the phone number for them in my phone now.
   Mexico does seem to be cheaper than the United States in a lot of ways. It probably reflects that most Mexicans don't make as much as Americans so they can't charge as much, unlike in America where they jack up the prices because they know people can afford it. 

formulanone

Oil isn't as big a deal, it's the coolant leak that could be a problem. First-generation Neons are known for having head gasket issues, although if you have a '95 that's still running, you've probably taken care of the cylinder head gasket issue at some point. (When the TSB the updated part was released, I made sure to have it replaced for a little more money during a timing belt change.)

Getting a coolant pressure test performed is much cheaper - runs about $40 at your average shop - it just takes 15 minutes to find out where it's leaking, and it will save you a potential headache later.

SteveG1988

You will also have to obtain special insurance, US insurance does not carry over to the Mexican side of the border. let me say that again US INSURANCE DOES NOT CARRY OVER THE BORDER!

You will be on your own once you cross the border to Mexico.

If you are in a bad area i would sugguest you carry a first aid kit, a set of road flares, hazard triangle, extra oil+coolant, i would not trust the oil down there, you may not get something that meets the standards of your engine. It even happens in the USA at small gas stations, selling oil fit for a lawnmower only (no detergent) and calling it a 10W30 for cars. I would say take two 5 quart jugs of cheap 5W30 oil with you, Wal*Mart brand, two gallon Jugs of Universal Coolant, several jugs of drinkable water, and a jerry can for fuel. If your phone is unlocked and a GSM device, i would purchase a mexican cell carrier sim card once accross the border so you do not get roaming charges.

Do you have any other vehicles?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

agentsteel53

if you're staying on the three D-roads you mentioned, then you will not run into the substandard dirt roads that DesertDog described.  yes, those do exist - and if one wants to go there, then his advice is very relevant, but driving around the interior of Mexico is a completely different experience than the border area of southern Arizona.

jake@aaroads.com

US 41

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 08, 2014, 06:21:42 PM
You will also have to obtain special insurance, US insurance does not carry over to the Mexican side of the border. let me say that again US INSURANCE DOES NOT CARRY OVER THE BORDER!

If you are in a bad area i would sugguest you carry a first aid kit, a set of road flares, hazard triangle, extra oil+coolant, i would not trust the oil down there, you may not get something that meets the standards of your engine. It even happens in the USA at small gas stations, selling oil fit for a lawnmower only (no detergent) and calling it a 10W30 for cars. I would say take two 5 quart jugs of cheap 5W30 oil with you, Wal*Mart brand, two gallon Jugs of Universal Coolant, several jugs of drinkable water, and a jerry can for fuel. If your phone is unlocked and a GSM device, i would purchase a mexican cell carrier sim card once accross the border so you do not get roaming charges.

I'm ordering car insurance before I go from Bestmex.

Can you take oil, antifreeze, and a can of gas across the border?

I have a crappy Tracfone. They don't work in Mexico. I'd have to buy a cheap throwaway phone that works in Mexico once I cross the border.

The Neon is my only car. It runs great though. I just did a 4 hour nonstop trip in Indiana with it today.

SteveG1988

Quote from: US 41 on July 08, 2014, 06:31:00 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 08, 2014, 06:21:42 PM

I'm ordering car insurance before I go from Bestmex.

Can you take oil, antifreeze, and a can of gas across the border?

I have a crappy Tracfone. They don't work in Mexico. I'd have to buy a cheap throwaway phone that works in Mexico once I cross the border.

The Neon is my only car. It runs great though. I just did a 4 hour nonstop trip in Indiana with it today.
I would carry all but the gasoline, have the jerry can empty, still sealed, with the receipt. Fill your gas tank up with only high octane fuel. You do not want to deal with mixing lower octanes when you go through mountainous regions.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

corco

Steve Gum, do you actually know much about Mexico? Mexican gas is good gas- probably more trustworthy than some American gas stations. PEMEX gas is federally distributed and is uniformly processed to the same standard. Absolutely no need to carry cans of extra gas if he's staying on toll roads- he's more likely to have problems from inhaling the fumes carrying the gas cans inside a Neon than he is to actually need that gas. It might be advisable to fill up a bit more frequently than normal, but there's no reason to carry extra gas.

Really, though, a good chunk of the Mexican population is driving cars that are as "shitty" as a 1995 Dodge Neon, and they get by just fine. You will too. With a Dodge Neon, you're not going to need to worry about octane ratings- whatever they're selling will work fine.

There are Walmarts and things in Mexico too, it's not like you're driving to the Canadian arctic or something- I might wait until I get down there to buy that stuff, if you even do so. It'll be cheaper. Mexico is a poorer country, but it's a civilized, populated country with plenty of services. A first aid kit is always a good idea, but flares and a triangle are probably excessive since you won't be driving at night (don't drive at night).

SteveG1988

Quote from: corco on July 08, 2014, 07:15:41 PM
Steve Gum, do you actually know much about Mexico? Mexican gas is good gas- probably more trustworthy than some American gas stations. PEMEX gas is federally distributed and is uniformly processed to the same standard. Absolutely no need to carry cans of extra gas if he's staying on toll roads- he's more likely to have problems from inhaling the fumes carrying the gas cans inside a Neon than he is to actually need that gas. It might be advisable to fill up a bit more frequently than normal, but there's no reason to carry extra gas.

Really, though, a good chunk of the Mexican population is driving cars that are as "shitty" as a 1995 Dodge Neon, and they get by just fine. You will too.

There are Walmarts and things in Mexico too, it's not like you're driving to the Canadian arctic or something- I might wait until I get down there to buy that stuff, if you even do so. It'll be cheaper. Mexico is a poorer country, but it's a civilized, populated country with plenty of services. A first aid kit is always a good idea, but flares and a triangle are probably excessive since you won't be driving at night (don't drive at night).

Corco, do you drive in mountains?

In the USA you can get 85 octane in mountains. You are not supposed to use it if you are just traveling through, as once you get down to sea level it will start to ping and knock.
Roads Clinched

US 41

since you won't be driving at night (don't drive at night).

I don't like to drive at night anyways. My lights are terrible. My brights are probably dimmer than most people's dims. I always drive with my brights on anywhere I go. No one ever flashes their lights at me. When dark hits I'm going to pull into the next Pemex Parking Lot and go to sleep. 

corco

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 08, 2014, 07:42:00 PM

Really, though, a good chunk of the Mexican population is driving cars that are as "shitty" as a 1995 Dodge Neon, and they get by just fine. You will too.

Corco, do you drive in mountains?

In the USA you can get 85 octane in mountains. You are not supposed to use it if you are just traveling through, as once you get down to sea level it will start to ping and knock.

Yes, in fact I actually live in the land of 85 octane gas. It varies by engine, but for the most part small 4 cylinder engines do just fine with 85 even when driving downhill. A bigger V6 or V8 will probably knock.

That being said, I don't even think they sell 85 in Mexico.

agentsteel53

Quote from: US 41 on July 08, 2014, 07:49:04 PMWhen dark hits I'm going to pull into the next Pemex Parking Lot and go to sleep.

that works, or any quiet side street in any poblado.  or find a hotel for ~$30 if your spine is starting to feel the nights of road sleep.

jake@aaroads.com

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.