News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Places where working pay phones still exist

Started by roadman65, February 24, 2021, 01:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Okahumpka Service Plaza on Florida Turnpike.

How about an actually working phone booth?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

The federal courthouse in Alexandria, Virginia. Mobile phones are not permitted in the courthouse.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

doorknob60

There is supposedly a pay phone at Barclay Bay at Lucky Peak Reservoir near Boise, according to the website. Though I haven't checked it out myself. I can confirm cell service is super spotty there though. The north end of the lake near Spring Shores has coverage now (at least on T-Mobile) but the south end is still pretty much a dead zone.

OCGuy81

Last time I was in Hawaii I spotted a few that still looked to be in working order.

Big John

Quote from: kphoger on February 24, 2021, 02:37:16 PM
Airports?
The Green Bay airport replaced the pay phones with free phones. They figured not many people were using that anyway with cell phones and the pay phones were not feasible and kept the free phone for anyone who still needed it.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cjk374

I have seen a couple at gas stations here in Ruston, LA. I witnessed people actually using them.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

kphoger

Quote from: cjk374 on March 10, 2021, 09:20:46 AM
I have seen a couple at gas stations here in Ruston, LA. I witnessed people actually using them.

That last part is the more amazing one.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

triplemultiplex

Someone using a pay phone?  The world has to hear about this!

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Mr. Matté

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 10, 2021, 11:21:48 AM
Someone using a pay phone?  The world has to hear about this!

There's a sale at Penney's!

D-Dey65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 24, 2021, 02:51:10 PM
Every Caltrans Rest Area I've been to. 
The same goes for the FDOT Rest Areas, because many of them have TTY Devices attached to them.

TheHighwayMan3561

I feel like this was asked recently. There is (or was, it's been 3-5 years since I last drove that far up the trail) one at the end of the Gunflint Trail in Cook County, MN.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

lepidopteran

Reminded of the MAD Magazine parody of the movie Earthquake (1974).  After the big one hits, a man walks up to a policeman.

Man: Officer, are there any working pay phones around?
Officer:  Not one in the entire city.
Man:  Really?  Boy, that earthquake really did some damage.
Officer:  Why blame that?  There weren't any working pay phones in the city before the earthquake.

kenarmy

There's one at a gas station by my church. And I frequently see them at train stations and airports.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Flint1979

There was one in the Flying J in Saginaw, MI for the longest time until recently. This Flying J was built in 2004 so I'm surprised they even had a pay phone in there lol.

kernals12

It is sad that our lack of investment in payphones has left us dependent on cell phones. I say we start subsidizing the hell out of payphones.

:bigass:

formulanone

Airports?

Not that common anymore...maybe 1-in-5 airports still have a few kicking around, or in a terminal that hasn't been remodeled yet.

There's one payphone left at HSV in the passenger terminal, though I don't know if it still works.

jeffandnicole

Here, in the middle of suburbia at a long-closed building.  You can't see it from the main road (and thus GSV) but the phone is still there. 50 cents for a phone call.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/eeYMkgi4P17p5XtSA

PHLBOS

Airports?
PHL still has them in their terminals.

I believe Amtrak train stations still have some.  30th St. Station in Philadelphia used to have a wall of them between the main area and the SEPTA Regional Rail mezzanine but took them down several years ago.  However, some pay phone pedestals still exist on the main station floor off to the side.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Life in Paradise

I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't several still in use in that area in West Virginia near the National Radio Telescope Observatory, since I believe that is some sort of blackout area for cell phones.

kphoger

Quote from: Life in Paradise on March 17, 2021, 01:06:34 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't ...

Isn't that the premise of this whole thread?  It's generally unsurprising if there aren't any working pay phones somewhere.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.