News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What do you like on your burger?

Started by OCGuy81, April 02, 2021, 01:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

Cheese and Ketchup. In fact, when I become dictator, I shall decree that will be the default cheeseburger, and if you want lettuce, tomato, or onions, you'll have to specifically ask for it.

TravelingBethelite

Lettuce, tomato, basically any cheese besides "American" (what's called American is a disgrace to America IMO) - though Gouda or Swiss are my favorites for burgers, caramelized onions, and steak or a less sweet BBQ sauce, with a touch of ketchup. Medium-rare beef patty, though I do enjoy a buffalo burger once in a while. The best burger I ever had actually had a buffalo patty, come to think of it.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

1995hoo

Similarly, Roy Rogers has long had the "Fixin's Bar," but during the pandemic that hasn't been available and instead they offer you a small cup containing some condiments like lettuce, tomato, etc. I don't use that stuff on a burger and so decline the cup, but I think I'd decline it anyway because the times I've seen what in the cup I thought the lettuce, in particular, looked rather wilted and not too good.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: dlsterner on April 04, 2021, 10:32:28 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 04, 2021, 11:43:04 AM
Quote from: dlsterner on April 04, 2021, 12:02:27 AM
The burger served at the Fuddrucker's restaurant chain is very close to my ideal burger.

The other great thing about Fuddrucker's (IMHO) is how they do toppings:

Typically the burger comes out with the top bun on the side, and only things such as cheese, bacon, or a fried egg already on.  For all other toppings & condiments, you walk up to their toppings bar and can put on whatever toppings (and more importantly, in your preferred amount for each) that you desire.

Sadly, Fuddrucker's locations seem to be dropping left & right. The last 2 in MD that I'd been to (Silver Spring & Parole) are gone, and another one just off I-95 exit 4 in DE also seems to have bit the dust.  I think the closest one to anywhere in MD is somewhere in PA now :no:

EDITED TO ADD:  The 2 closest to DC/Baltimore appear to be Ashburn VA & York PA, but none left in MD & DE as I suspected.

Fellow Maryland resident here :)

Yes, unfortunately the Fuddrucker's around here seem to be going by the wayside.  There were ones in both Columbia and Annapolis which have closed.  Many years ago there was one at Harborplace.  I have been to the York PA location and know of the Ashland VA location.

There are also "nearby" ones in Chambersburg PA and Lancaster PA which I've been to.  A footnote - I was at the Chambersburg one last summer.  Because of COVID, they temporarily shut down the toppings bar, but would gladly get you what you wanted at the counter.

Fuddruckers used to be my go-to burger place. I have celiac disease now, but before that whole thing started they probably had the best toasted burger bun. They also had this really good pico de gallo-style salsa that might be the strangest thing I've ever put on a burger, but it was so good.

Glory Days Grill (a regional sports bar chain) also has some really good burgers. Their bacon cheddar burger is basically my ideal burger.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

kphoger

Quote from: texaskdog on April 02, 2021, 07:32:59 PM
Definitely no onion, mustard, bacon, or jalapenos.

All those things together sound like a pretty awesome burger, in my opinion!

Outside of the aforementioned mushrooms and onions, no veggies.  It's a burger, not a damn salad.

So no tomatoes or onion on your taco, hot dog, or burrito either?
And only bacon on your BLT?

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on April 04, 2021, 11:48:45 PM
The best burger I ever had actually had a buffalo patty, come to think of it.

They're tasty, but they're really easy to dry out due to bison's low fat content.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

I will eat both mustard and ketchup on a burger, but only mustard (no ketchup) on a hot dog. I also will eat a burger with mustard only, but not ketchup only.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

It varies: sometimes I like ketchup and grilled onion, sometimes I like bacon and bbq sauce.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

dlsterner

Quote from: kphoger on April 06, 2021, 02:01:43 PM
Outside of the aforementioned mushrooms and onions, no veggies.  It's a burger, not a damn salad.

So no tomatoes or onion on your taco, hot dog, or burrito either?
And only bacon on your BLT?

A tomato slice on a burger is OK.  I will use the loophole that a tomato is technically a fruit.   :poke:  And I did allow onions along with mushrooms in my previous quote.

I am not a fan of lettuce.  On the rare instances where I will patronize a salad bar, I will typically get baby spinach for my greens.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on April 06, 2021, 09:15:33 PM
I will eat both mustard and ketchup on a burger, but only mustard (no ketchup) on a hot dog. I also will eat a burger with mustard only, but not ketchup only.

I must say, you've got to be one of the pickiest eaters over the age of twenty...

(not just related to this one post)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on April 07, 2021, 09:58:49 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 06, 2021, 09:15:33 PM

I must say, you've got to be one of the pickiest eaters over the age of twenty...

(not just related to this one post)
[/quote

You should meet my wife!

And I know at least one other forum participant who is pickier than I am. He may or may not reveal himself here; if I took that liberty he and I might duke it out.  :-D :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

D-Dey65

In exact orderl

Ketchup.
Cheese.
Mayonnaise.

Occasionally, I'll have bacon, but it must be crispy, and always on top of the cheese.

I also like Mayochup (mix of ketchup and mayonnaise), but even though I prefer it between the burger and cheese, I'm okay with it on top of the cheese.

Rothman

Aren't mayochup and fry sauce one in the same?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on April 08, 2021, 11:28:33 PM
Aren't mayochup and fry sauce one in the same?

Depends.  Some places also add pickle brine and some spices.
Male pronouns, please.

Dirt Roads

Nobody's mentioned Carolina style yet?  Chili, slaw, mustard and onions.  Same thing goes on a hot dog.  You've already heard me tell this story, but it bears repeating:  I step up to Missy's Grill in Efland, North Carolina for the very first time.  A lady in front of me orders a "burger with everything".  The attendant asks "Are you sure?"  When she gets her order, something didn't seem right and she opens the bun in front of me, exclaims "I can't eat this!" and leaves without asking for a replacement. 

These days, it's more common to ask for "All the Way" when ordering Carolina-style burgers and dogs pretty much everywhere here in Central Carolina.

D-Dey65

There's some local NRHP-listed general store which sells it's own barbecue sauce.

http://www.richloamstore.com/big-john-s-bbq.html

Sometimes I use this on burgers.

golden eagle

kphoger

Quote from: golden eagle on April 26, 2021, 11:19:08 PM
No onions and no mayo.

Then what's even the point?  Those are two of the best burger toppings around.
Male pronouns, please.

interstatefan990

I agree with no mayo. That is for sandwiches and tacos, not burgers with beef.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Max Rockatansky

My sister was into cheese burgers when we were in high school.  I took her to Burger King once before she got her license and she asked for a cheese burger.  She got kind of snippy with the clerk when he questioned if she wanted any toppings which I think led to what happened next.  We got home and discovered all she had was a bun with cheese inside of it.  I refused to take her back to complain because it was hilarious. 

webny99

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 27, 2021, 11:43:30 AM

Sandwiches, sure... and a burger is sort of like a sandwich.

But not tacos, though. Sour cream is for tacos. Until your post, I had never even heard of putting mayo on tacos.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on April 27, 2021, 12:14:49 PM
Until your post, I had never even heard of putting mayo on tacos.

Same here.  The closest would be Mexicans slathering mayo on a tortilla and then putting a hot dog in it with some grilled onions.
Male pronouns, please.

interstatefan990

Quote from: webny99 on April 27, 2021, 12:14:49 PM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 27, 2021, 11:43:30 AM

Sandwiches, sure... and a burger is sort of like a sandwich.

But not tacos, though. Sour cream is for tacos. Until your post, I had never even heard of putting mayo on tacos.

Not a ton. Just a little bit to reduce the dryness of the beef and/or rice in the taco. And for people who don't like sour cream, like myself.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

kphoger

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 27, 2021, 01:18:25 PM
Just a little bit to reduce the dryness of the beef and/or rice in the taco.

That's called salsa.
Male pronouns, please.

corco

kphoger

Not both?  Man, I like both on a burger.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.