News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Any Musicians On The Forum?

Started by CoreySamson, July 09, 2021, 08:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

Does anybody else here play a musical instrument? I'm an amateur pianist (self-taught, 2 years experience) and guitarist (1 year of experience). I sing a little too. I usually play in my youth group band every Wednesday night, and in my church's main service every 2 weeks or so.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Scott5114

I played trombone in middle/high school and have fooled around on the bass guitar, but not enough that I consider myself really proficient with it (I'm not confident enough in my abilities to play for anyone else). I have a keyboard and I'm considering picking up a ukulele and messing around with that too.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

I played the violin until my junior year in high school and was absolute garbage.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ozarkman417

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 09, 2021, 10:12:25 PM
I played the violin until my junior sophomore year in high school and was absolute garbage.
My experience with instruments summed up right there.

Rothman

I play piano well enough.  Played violin all through grade school, though.  Was always meh at it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

qguy

I play piano, trumpet (cornet, actually), French horn, and valve trombone. I taught myself to play the slide trombone but didn't have the time to practice enough to become good at it and traded it in for a valve.

I played the trumpet in high school concert, marching and jazz bands, piano in jazz band, and trumpet in college concert band (Penn State White Band). I've played trumpet in music worship accompaniment at various time over the years.

I'm really just so-so at the moment. I have a good sound but despite my experience with, and enjoyment of, jazz, I'm pretty lousy at improvising.

As a substitute teacher in various local school districts, I often sub for music teachers because they have a hard time finding subs with a musical background. I occasionally direct bands and orchestras in practice. That's rather fun.

GaryV

tchafe1978

I played trombone from 4th grade all the way through my 3rd year of college. I was good but not spectacular. I quit after my 3rd year of college over 20 years ago and haven't played since. I also played cello from 3rd through 6th grade. I was forced to choose one instrument over the other when I got to middle school in 7th grade and orchestra and band were both held the same hour. I suppose I could've kept playing both on my own, but I gave up cello. I also sing rather badly to myself in the shower or car where no one else can hear me.

Ned Weasel

I played piano from age six and all the way through my first round of college as a music major until I graduated at age 21.  I kept it up for a while, mostly playing my own music, but I lost motivation at around age 30.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

dlsterner

Piano, trombone, euphonium - although I am embarrassingly rusty at all of them.

Interesting how a large percentage of answers so far included trombone.  Maybe there's a specific gene that inspires both roadgeeking and trombone playing?   :bigass:

JoePCool14

As a child, I played piano for many years, I didn't really enjoy it back then and haven't really touched it since. I wouldn't mind trying it again though I won't lie.

From 4th grade through first year of community college including high school I played saxophone, a mix of alto, tenor, and bari. I did concert band, jazz band, marching band, and pep band during basketball season. Currently planning to do marching band my last year of college because why not? And also because things are normal again. :)

Quote from: dlsterner on July 10, 2021, 01:08:07 PM
Piano, trombone, euphonium - although I am embarrassingly rusty at all of them.

Interesting how a large percentage of answers so far included trombone.  Maybe there's a specific gene that inspires both roadgeeking and trombone playing?   :bigass:

Trombone signal gantries?

On the same hand, I'm surprised we don't have more trumpet players.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

bassoon1986

I play the bassoon. I learned a little of all the other wind instruments in college but bassoon is the only one I'm proficient in. Got to play a lot of contrabassoon in grad school.

iPhone

Flint1979

dlsterner

I'm surprised Cra_shIt hasn't chimed in yet.  I understand he enjoys playing his horn.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

There are photographs, on the interwebs, of me behind several different drumsets over the decades.
Otherwise, I am a master of "playing the stereo."
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

bugo

I play guitar and bass (and theoretically, any fretted stringed instrument) and do programming/recording/production. I've been playing guitar for about 30 years now. I write my own stuff.

kphoger

I play the drums in church every Sunday.

Also, I know how to play other percussion (pretty well, depending on the instrument), piano (decently well), handbells (decently well), acoustic guitar (halfway well), and recorder (mediocre).  Besides that, I know how to sing, arrange choir music, and compose my own music (especially on piano).  In school, I won the annual Kansas statewide piano composition contest twice.

Having said all of that, I personally think the drum set is my best instrument.  It's the only one I at which I feel a natural skill, a freedom to play and improvise without having to think about it.  I hardly ever play piano anymore, for example, except for small projects now and then.

When I was graduating high school, everyone I knew assumed I would go to college for music and become some great musician.  However, I decided I didn't want music to become just a job.  I'd rather have it be a hobby than a career, lest I lose the joy of it.  So I didn't go into music.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wanderer2575

I played clarinet for about 30 years in grade school, college, and then a local community band.  I also played some saxophone for a couple community musicals.  I haven't touched either for about 10 years.  I also used to sing baritone in a men's barbershop chorus for several years.  Now I'm just a patron of the arts.

kurumi

Trombone in high school (symphonic, marching, jazz bands)

Short gig on the vibraphone for a high school halftime show

Piano as a kid, keyboards in college and afterward (rock cover bands)

Can play an E minor chord on guitar :-)

Long ago, wrote a few instrumentals on my Mac, like this one: https://soundcloud.com/therealkurumi/you-go-that-way
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

frankenroad

I sort of play the piano.  My favorite class in high school was music theory.

I am a very active singer - I'm in a couple of community choruses, a chamber ensemble, and my church choir.   I have been known to participate in karaoke.

I have recently taken up handbells.

2020 and early 2021 sucked for singers.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kphoger

Quote from: frankenroad on July 20, 2021, 03:09:58 PM
I sort of play the piano.  My favorite class in high school was music theory.

At the university I briefly attended, the music theory students would tell each other, In theory, I'll see you later!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

andrepoiy

I play piano, and I passed one of the higher certifications in the Canadian conservatory system called the Royal Conservatory of Music. If you're interested, I achieved ARCT with the RCM.

I am also trying to learn guitar to no avail.

I played trumpet in gr7-8-9 but I was jack shit.

kenarmy

Yet another roadgeek that played trombone, but quit in high school. Marching band is what really ruined it for me. I still play occasionally and I know how to play Good King Wenceslas and a few other songs. 
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

hbelkins

Played saxophone (tenor mostly, but a lot of baritone my senior year when my horn got torn up) in high school, and also in a college jazz band my freshman year. Played in a few high school alumni band performances for a few years afterwards, but I haven't touched the horn in 35 years. I can still read music and I remember the fingering combinations, but I doubt I could coax much in the way of what would pass for music out of a sax now.

I never could master the flute, though. For some reason I wasn't able to get my mouth over the mouthpiece properly to direct the air into the instrument. So there went my scholastic dreams of being Walter Parazaider.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on July 20, 2021, 10:25:12 PM
I never could master the flute, though. For some reason I wasn't able to get my mouth over the mouthpiece properly to direct the air into the instrument. So there went my scholastic dreams of being Walter Parazaider.

You're in the Kentucky boonies.  You should have joined a jug band instead.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.