News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Surrender your man card here

Started by kphoger, July 21, 2021, 12:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

I like mojitos and caipirinhas, and beers with a low IBU.

I drive a car with enough power to pass people where needed, but otherwise blends into the background.

I've done habitat for humanity, but have never put up drywall, tile, carpet, etc. at my own house. I fix small appliances, minor plumbing, but e.g. any electrical stuff I'll hire someone.

Any day or weekend trips, my wife drives (SUV vs. my sedan). [But whenever we rent a car, 95% of the time I drive.]

If we go out for dinner and it's vegan, no problem. I'll try something new.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Scott5114

Quote from: thspfc on July 21, 2021, 10:15:03 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 21, 2021, 10:03:07 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 12:17:46 PM
There is one thing, though:  you have to surrender your man card at the door.

You can pick it up on the way back out.

You have a line in your sig that warrants having your man card forcibly taken from you, ripped apart, then burned, and you being put on a "no more man cards" list.

You can probably figure out which line.   :-D
Keep right except to pass?

I'm pretty sure it's the Orleans County one, actually.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brian556

For me, my biggest difference from other men is my taste in music. I like female artists just as much as male artists. In Country, I like Rosanne Cash, Tanya Tucker, Barbara Mandrel, Crystal Gayle, ect. In Pop, I like Madonna (some of hers I really like, others annoy me), Taylor Swift, Taylor Dayne. In rock, I like Heart, Pat Benatar, ect.

Sports: I followed the Cowboys in the 90's when they were good. Other than that, I couldn't care less about sports

Tool/ Cars/ Home Improvement: I can change my oil, alternator, ect. I drive a sedan, and don't like how other men drive huge trucks that they don't need just so they can be arrogant and drive like assholes. I like tools and doing home repairs and improvements. I can operate numerous pieces of construction and warehouse machinery.

noelbotevera

Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 04:06:11 PM
*  I drink hot tea.  Every day.  Multiple times per day.  In fact, I keep a collection of various kinds of loose-leaf tea at the office.
Feel like this is perfectly accepted, considering the stereotypical Brit is a tea-sipping, moustache twirling, fine specimen of a gent. Also, Asia says hello. I say hello too.

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 21, 2021, 04:48:41 PM
I like Japanese city pop, and some anime as well.
Anime is still taboo? Y'all must've sitting under a rock when Demon Slayer: Infinity Train came out. Anime could give Disney a run for its money given five or so years. Also helps that Disney worked to make anime mainstream in the 2000's by dubbing and distributing Studio Ghibli films (except for Grave of the Fireflies because we hate to see children starving, and Only Yesterday because ewwww periods are grosssss).

-Absolutely terrible at sports. I'm below average in tennis and decent in chess, if that counts.
-Motorcycles are overrated.
-Echoing kurumi: vegan is perfectly fine. Salads, when done right, are very filling even without meat. The key is piling on a ton of greens like kale or arugula, or adding starchy foods such as potatoes or rice.
-It's okay not to like alcohol or smoking. You'll live longer.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Roadgeekteen

I like Taylor Swift

I like country music

I'm terribly unathletic
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

I like looking at a lot of these female musicians a lot of you are referencing.  When music videos were a thing they weren't bad to have on in the background on mute. 

Regarding anime, I did watch Dragon Ball Z in high school.  I didn't find out until I was an adult that it was considered something else than just another superhero thing.

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 22, 2021, 12:02:18 AM
I like looking at a lot of these female musicians a lot of you are referencing.  When music videos were a thing they weren't bad to have on in the background on mute. 

Music videos are still a thing, they're just on YouTube now instead of MTV. Some of them are damn near short movies (which is kind of irritating when you want to listen to the song in the background, so you put it on YouTube and the music stops for some plot development).

dlsterner

Quote from: dlsterner on July 21, 2021, 08:36:38 PM
I'm a cat person; dogs make me skittish.  (I was told that when I was little, I was once spooked by a dog twice my size)

I've never (personally) changed the oil in my car.  Replacing light bulbs & wipers is the extent of the maintenance I'll do. (Although I have at least changed a tire)

Although I can cook most things well, I can't make a good steak for the life of me.  I'm also not handy with outdoor grilling.

I also enjoy playing bridge, and have done so most of my adult life (gasp!)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 22, 2021, 12:36:03 AM

Music videos are still a thing, they're just on YouTube now instead of MTV. Some of them are damn near short movies (which is kind of irritating when you want to listen to the song in the background, so you put it on YouTube and the music stops for some plot development).

So basically miniature versions of Moon Walker?

Rothman

People have been saying anime is going to take over for decades now.  Seems that will perpetually happen five years from now.

My non-man-card stuff:

--I enjoyed Anne of Green Gables, the books and the Megan Follows series.

--My wife got me into the k-drama Guardian: The Lonely and Great God (a/k/a "Goblin").  Can't stand any other the others she has watched, though.

--Never changed my own oil.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 21, 2021, 11:58:07 PM
I like Taylor Swift

I like country music

I'm terribly unathletic

Liking country music is more unusual for your geographic region than for your gender.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jmacswimmer

To the OP: much respect for having the balls courage to start this thread.  :clap:

Furthering a couple common points thus far:

-Also cats > dogs: we have 2, and yes I love the shit out of those little rascals :love: (and having a scary incident the other day where one got his paw caught in the hinged side of a door only reinforced that)
-Also small cars > large cars: Quite happy with my Civic that has great maneuverability, good-enough acceleration, and pushes 45 mpg if I'm slightly mindful (and it is a stick, but I don't really think of that as a "manly" thing so much as just enjoying having that added control over the car).  And I've never changed the oil myself.

As a more overall statement: Ever since I learned to drop the whole "men-don't-have-feelings-or-emotions" thing within the past year or 2, I've found that I've learned a ton about myself and why I do things the way I do, I've been able to resolve things from my childhood that I hadn't realized were still affecting me, my relationship with my fiancée has become that much stronger, and I'm much happier both overall and with the person I've become.

Regarding anime, I did watch Dragon Ball Z in high school.  I didn't find out until I was an adult that it was considered something else than just another superhero thing.

I've watched all of TeamFourStar's Dragon Ball Z Abridged :-D
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

zachary_amaryllis

• i'm a cat person
  • when i'm working i often lipsync the female singers
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 22, 2021, 07:41:03 AM
To the OP: much respect for having the balls courage to start this thread.  :

As have I, it honestly was the best version of the show and hilarious at the same time.

JoePCool14

I feel that the fact that anime is becoming so popular in the West says a lot about our own mainstream entertainment, and how many people do not care for it anymore. In other words, this could be another sign that they're horribly out of touch with what people actually enjoy.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Takumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 22, 2021, 07:51:30 AM
To the OP: much respect for having the balls courage to start this thread.  :

As have I, it honestly was the best version of the show and hilarious at the same time.
Absolutely agreed.

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIL
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

texaskdog

I can't grill, not good at fixing too many things, love cats, talk about my feelings.

Neighbor's new boyfriend drives a mini Cooper, that's just TOO far.

hotdogPi

Before COVID, I sang in a choir. While an SATB choir obviously needs both women and men, most amateur choirs are about 75% female.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 21, 2021, 11:58:07 PM
I like country music

What?  How is that possibly un-masculine?

To the OP: much respect for having the balls courage to start this thread.

Thanks.  I'd had the idea to start this topic for a few weeks, but it's apparently easy to forget to start an off-topic thread.

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 21, 2021, 11:38:48 PM

Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 04:06:11 PM
*  I drink hot tea.  Every day.  Multiple times per day.  In fact, I keep a collection of various kinds of loose-leaf tea at the office.

Feel like this is perfectly accepted, considering the stereotypical Brit is a tea-sipping, moustache twirling, fine specimen of a gent. Also, Asia says hello. I say hello too.

Right, of course, but I don't get the impression Englishmen suffer from the same macho-inferiority complex as we Americans do.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.  At least around here, hot tea is what little old ladies drink.  Men drink iced tea instead.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

*  I cross my legs above the knee.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 21, 2021, 01:37:25 PM
Well, I mean. It's kind of one of those things that I can't help but engage with at an existential level, because the concept of having a "man card" you can surrender is so foreign to my adult experience. ....

I'm not going to name any usernames, but I have reason to believe certain forum members would strongly disagree with that last clause.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on July 22, 2021, 10:33:08 AM
*  I cross my legs above the knee.
I got into this habit due to living in Russia, where crossing your legs above the knee is the cultural way of not showing the bottom of your shoe, which is considered rude.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 22, 2021, 10:34:22 AM
Well, I mean. It's kind of one of those things that I can't help but engage with at an existential level, because the concept of having a "man card" you can surrender is so foreign to my adult experience. ....

I'm not going to name any usernames, but I have reason to believe certain forum members would strongly disagree with that last clause.
Scott doesn't have adult experience?

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 22, 2021, 10:34:22 AM

The nice thing about not giving a shit about your societal gender role is that you also stop giving a shit about the opinions of other people in regards to how well you performed that gender role. Like I said, it's freeing.

kphoger

Unless, of course, you adopted a new societal gender role in the process and are worried about the opinions of other people in regards to how well you're performing that one...

But, please, this is precisely the type of discussion I was hoping this thread would not become.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.