News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Missouri

Started by Revive 755, April 22, 2009, 12:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvak36

Quote from: afguy on October 17, 2023, 04:05:32 PM
MoDOT is conducting a conceptual study of possible improvements to I-70 between the Missouri River and North Hanley Road. Money is already budgeted to reconstruct the I-70/I-270 interchange and the St. Charles Rock Rd Bridge over I-70. Public meetings will begin next month with a final conceptual report being released in Fall 2024.

https://www.modot.org/improve-i-70-conceptual-study-st-louis

70 is going to be a mess the next 6 to 7 years with this project, the expansion between Blue Springs and Wentzville, and the I-70 in KC project. Hopefully they also find the funding for the I-70/I-64/US61 interchange and do that construction around the same time as the projects in the St. Louis area.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

afguy

Kansas City and the US DOT announced a partnership today that could lead to $15 billion of transportation projects getting funding from the feds. The highlights for me were the proposed rail line between downtown Kansas City and the Airport, the east-west streetcar line and improvements for I-35 on the west side and U.S. 71.

USDOT partners with Kansas City for future infrastructure projects

QuoteThe Emerging Projects Agreement focuses on $15 billion worth of Kansas City projects designed to improve the infrastructure throughout the area. The partnership will help with work for an east-west KC Streetcar extension, which hopes to connect underserved communities with health care and jobs.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said the department hopes to bring safer, cleaner and modern transportation to Kansas City.

"I've had the chance to see firsthand the great strides Kansas City is taking to modernize their infrastructure, and this agreement will help advance that work for years to come," Buttigieg said.

Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas said he's honored to have a partnership with USDOT to improve the community. "I am thrilled about our collaboration to bring billions of dollars to our community to make improvements," Lucas said. According to Lucas, the improvements include reconnecting communities once torn apart by highway construction, creating a rapid transit system from the airport to the city, and making critical repairs to our bridges.

Here are some of the projects that could benefit:

A fixed, 21-mile rail line from downtown Kansas City to the airport ($10.5 billion)
An east-west streetcar extension ($1.5 billion)
Reconnecting the eastside, a study of 71 Highway's impact ($1.6 billion)
Reconnecting the westside, a study of I-35's impact ($1.5 billion)
Construction of the South Loop Park over I-670 ($314 million)
Blue River Watershed safety and connectivity improvements ($123 million)
The city will get funding from Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) loans, Railroad Rehabilitation and Improvement Financing (RRIF), Private Activity Bonds (PABs) and technical assistance grants.
https://fox4kc.com/news/usdot-partners-with-kansas-city-for-future-infrastructure-projects/

fhmiii

The rail line to the airport is interesting, but I wonder what route they're going to use to get it there?  Obviously there's the route that goes up I-29, but will they be able to use it?  I think it would be very difficult to get sufficient right of way between NW 64th St (MO-45) and Tower Drive, especially in Platte Woods.

The less-obvious but probably more practical route would be up the US-169 corridor and then across to the airport somewhere north of 96th Street.  They could potentially follow the old inter-urban rail route near Waukomis Drive and Green Hills Road, but a lot of that has already been developed without any real passage through north of MO-152.

Also, will it be "just" an airport connector, or would it be a true Metro project?  For $10 billion, I'd expect it to be the latter, along with connections further south.

mvak36

Quote from: afguy on October 24, 2023, 03:45:16 PM
Kansas City and the US DOT announced a partnership today that could lead to $15 billion of transportation projects getting funding from the feds. The highlights for me were the proposed rail line between downtown Kansas City and the Airport, the east-west streetcar line and improvements for I-35 on the west side and U.S. 71.

USDOT partners with Kansas City for future infrastructure projects

QuoteThe Emerging Projects Agreement focuses on $15 billion worth of Kansas City projects designed to improve the infrastructure throughout the area. The partnership will help with work for an east-west KC Streetcar extension, which hopes to connect underserved communities with health care and jobs.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said the department hopes to bring safer, cleaner and modern transportation to Kansas City.

"I've had the chance to see firsthand the great strides Kansas City is taking to modernize their infrastructure, and this agreement will help advance that work for years to come," Buttigieg said.

Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas said he's honored to have a partnership with USDOT to improve the community. "I am thrilled about our collaboration to bring billions of dollars to our community to make improvements," Lucas said. According to Lucas, the improvements include reconnecting communities once torn apart by highway construction, creating a rapid transit system from the airport to the city, and making critical repairs to our bridges.

A fixed, 21-mile rail line from downtown Kansas City to the airport ($10.5 billion)
The city will get funding from Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) loans, Railroad Rehabilitation and Improvement Financing (RRIF), Private Activity Bonds (PABs) and technical assistance grants.
https://fox4kc.com/news/usdot-partners-with-kansas-city-for-future-infrastructure-projects/

I'm curious to see what they will do with US71. Maybe build a park over the highway like St. Louis or what they're planning on the South Loop.

intelati49

Quote from: mvak36 on October 25, 2023, 10:23:09 AM

I'm curious to see what they will do with US71. Maybe build a park over the highway like St. Louis or what they're planning on the South Loop.

Not sure, but I've seen proposals where the Royals get moved over to Downtown. Near/replacing the Old KC Star Print building

fhmiii

Quote from: intelati49 on October 25, 2023, 10:38:33 AM

Quote from: mvak36 on October 25, 2023, 10:23:09 AM

Not sure, but I've seen proposals where the Royals get moved over to Downtown. Near/replacing the Old KC Star Print building

The location (one of two finalists) is at approximately 12th and Cherry, roughly a quarter mile northeast of the KC Star building.  The other finalist location is in North Kansas City.  The Royals were set to announce on September 23rd, but then delayed it.  We haven't heard anything since.

roadman65

Does anyone know what the acronym FLOCK stands for in Oak Hill, Kansas City spanning I-670 just west of Summit Street near I-35.  That tall pedestrian crossing over the freeway is named the FLOCK Bridge, but the Goog ( as per usual) is no help.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mvak36

Quote from: roadman65 on November 06, 2023, 10:44:26 AM
Does anyone know what the acronym FLOCK stands for in Oak Hill, Kansas City spanning I-670 just west of Summit Street near I-35.  That tall pedestrian crossing over the freeway is named the FLOCK Bridge, but the Goog ( as per usual) is no help.

http://www.kcrivertrails.org/

QuoteOn the north end of this trail segment you will discover a decorative pedestrian bridge that gives you an excellent view of Kaw Valley as it connects the oldest parks in Kansas City. The bridge itself features spectacular iron work that depicts the frequent flock of birds seen in the area.

roadman65

So it's not an acronym.  It's a title given by an architect to define the nature of his work.

Shouldn't be capitalized though. If he did this in the past here on this forum, he would be chastised for sure by a certain user on here who got annoyed at bad spelling lol.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Here is something. Unlike the other bridges in Kanas City, that use cantilever or cables, this one is a typical design.

Someone brought up the new Buck O' Neil Crossing recently as that new structure will resemble the MO Route 9 Bridge like here.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/53328304383/
Another thing interesting that you don't see states do, is let other jurisdictions place their property within themselves. 

Here in the above link (until I get to my other computer to post the photo) is a KDOT gantry in Missouri.  You can tell the difference in the photo as the opposing side has the MDOT overhead gantry style as Missouri likes to use single supports where Kansas likes truss supports like many other states like to use.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on November 12, 2023, 07:29:55 PM
Another thing interesting that you don't see states do, is let other jurisdictions place their property within themselves. 

Here in the above link (until I get to my other computer to post the photo) is a KDOT gantry in Missouri.  You can tell the difference in the photo as the opposing side has the MDOT overhead gantry style as Missouri likes to use single supports where Kansas likes truss supports like many other states like to use.

It's on a viaduct, right at the border (despite the signage in the near distance -- county clinchers know not to trust signage being right at the border...).  Not sure this is so earth-shattering.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Well considering that the bridge railings change at the KDOT gantry and the MDOT assembly on the left is before it, I'd say your observation is correct. Considering that state line sign is just barely beyond that might have some merit for using "county line" over " entering" as the sign poles might be why KDOT didn't place it at the proper location.

In Florida where rivers are the county lines, you often see a "entering x county" sign on the base of the waterway crossing some several hundred feet prior to the actual border, even though many hundreds of feet away. The Escambia- Santa Rosa border on I-10 in Florida is one great example. The EB " Entering Santa Rosa County" sign is located at the US 90 overpass on the west shore of the very wide bay that is the boundary of the two counties. US 90 far from straddles the county line as signage would make you think otherwise.

Sheryl Crowe

SD Mapman

Quote from: Rothman on November 12, 2023, 07:38:37 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 12, 2023, 07:29:55 PM

It's on a viaduct, right at the border (despite the signage in the near distance -- county clinchers know not to trust signage being right at the border...).  Not sure this is so earth-shattering.

There's Iowa signage in South Dakota: (we haven't ever used Clearview so it's more common than you would think.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

ilpt4u

There is a MoDOT VMS on the Illinois side of the Stan Musial Bridge/I-70 WB

fhmiii

Quote from: roadman65 on November 11, 2023, 02:52:46 PM
Here is something. Unlike the other bridges in Kanas City, that use cantilever or cables, this one is a typical design.

Someone brought up the new Buck O' Neil Crossing recently as that new structure will resemble the MO Route 9 Bridge like here.

Since the two major metro areas in Missouri straddle the state line, there's a lot of cooperation between several of the departments, especially transportation.  MODOT and KSDOT work together (not always well, but they try) on a number of things, including overhead signage, construction signage, etc.

And yes, the Buck O'Neill Bridge (formerly the Broadway Bridge) is in the process of being replaced with a standard highway bridge and it kills my soul just a little bit every time I see it.

roadman65

I like how the current Buck O' Neil graces the Missouri River from the Lewis & Clark Viaduct with the new tall tower of the I-29/35 bridge behind it. Those arches look nice. They were aesthetically appealing for sure. Now I can't imagine what a modern freeway bridge will make the river view look like.

Edit: Yes I can.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ooCL6PWobrNZiJyHA
GSV shows how the new bridge already ruins the view.

https://historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/?bridgebrowser=missouri/broadway/
The Historic Bridges website rates the State of Missouri being very bad at preserving historic bridges.

Sheryl Crowe

The Ghostbuster

I see two new bridges being constructed over W. 5th St. and W. 4th St. just west of the US 169 viaduct. Are they planning to reroute US 169 to meet Interstates 35 and 70 via the freeway-to-freeway interchange?

intelati49

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 14, 2023, 12:00:57 PM
I see two new bridges being constructed over W. 5th St. and W. 4th St. just west of the US 169 viaduct. Are they planning to reroute US 169 to meet Interstates 35 and 70 via the freeway-to-freeway interchange?

Looks like it's only going to directly connect (freeway connections) to I35N/S. There's only street level connection to I-70.

I recently remembered "Hey, I haven't looked at LcLoudmouth recently." It's the same area, but "Before the Buck O'Neil bridge" is the first picture

afguy

The governor was in Joplin on Friday to celebrate the completion of one of the bridges in his "Focus on Bridges" project. During his news conference he mentioned that expanding I-44 from Joplin to St. Louis would be the state's next priority and that more details will follow during his state of the state address next month. I'm looking forward to seeing what the governor has planned.

Governor marks completion of bridge projects, says I-44 expansion next

QuoteWith approval of the funding of a major expansion of Interstate 70 to six lanes across most of Missouri from St. Louis to Kansas City in the offing, Parson said it is time to turn the state's attention to Interstate 44.

"We've talked about that ever since I've been in Jefferson City. and now it's going to come to fruition," Parson said. "Now with I-70 off the table, the good news for you in Southwest Missouri, I-44 is next. You will see vast improvement in that in the coming years. And I will tell you this, in the State of the State Address, I'm not supposed to be telling what I'm going to be saying, but I-44 will be mentioned."

Parson said he expects there to be "a huge amount of support" for working on I-44 from St. Louis to Joplin, a project that has been discussed for years.

"I don't think there's any question you've got I-70 funded, you've got I-44 next in line," Parson said. "We're already starting the process, we're building overpasses, we're doing work on I-44 actually working our way to that time when we're going to expand I-44. So I think there will be talk about that, there will be more talk about other projects in the state, I-55 and such."
https://www.joplinglobe.com/news/business/governor-marks-completion-of-bridge-projects-says-i-44-expansion-next/article_5173ec70-9625-11ee-8d51-d7f6f3b8036e.html

sprjus4

Missouri is expanding roughly 200 miles of I-70 to six lanes across the state, and may now have a similar project with hundreds of miles of I-44?

Wow, quite impressive. Some other states need to take note. I-40 Little Rock to Memphis, I-81 Virginia / Tennessee, just to name a couple.

MikieTimT

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 11, 2023, 02:37:46 AM
Missouri is expanding roughly 200 miles of I-70 to six lanes across the state, and may now have a similar project with hundreds of miles of I-44?

Wow, quite impressive. Some other states need to take note. I-40 Little Rock to Memphis, I-81 Virginia / Tennessee, just to name a couple.

Arkansas is expanding I-40 to 6 lanes, but in typical Arkansas piecemeal fashion as funds allow.  The first segments of I-40 to get the treatment are at the ends, from I-440 to the Kerr exit, and from I-55 North to the Jennette exit on the east end.  Nothing else in the 2023-2026 STIP, so don't hold your breath for anything more unless Biden wants to try to Inflation Reduction Act part 2 his way to another term.

afguy

$278M overhaul of I-270 in north St. Louis County almost done

QuoteGov. Mike Parson and other speakers are scheduled to join Missouri Department of Transportation officials at a ribbon-cutting event Tuesday morning in Hazelwood to celebrate the $278 million project's impending completion.

"It is exciting that we are now seeing the results of decades of advocacy work," Rebecca Zoll, president and CEO of North County Inc., a local booster group, said Monday. "This infrastructure improvement was critical to the north St. Louis County community."

Zoll said the changes have improved safety and access along the 8-mile stretch of the interstate between North Lindbergh Boulevard in Hazelwood and Lewis and Clark Boulevard in Bellefontaine Neighbors. Among other things, a new eastbound lane and new westbound lane were added along that stretch, increasing the total to four or five on each side. Some other work was done as far west as McDonnell Boulevard and east to Bellefontaine Road. Eight interchanges were rebuilt, 12 bridges on and over the highway replaced, and seven new spans constructed.

Moreover, the north and south outer roads — known as Dunn and Pershall roads — were converted from two-way to one-way roads between Hanley/Graham roads and Old Halls Ferry Road. Eliminated were exits where eastbound drivers on Dunn had to stop and yield to cars coming off the highway. In another change, shared-use sidewalk paths for pedestrians and bicyclists were added along segments of Dunn and Pershall.

MoDOT has said the affected stretch, built in the 1960s, handles about 140,000 vehicles daily, of which 18% are heavy trucks. It's a major freight route both through and inside the metro area.

A MoDOT spokeswoman, Nina Thompson, said while the project is substantially completed, a few tasks still need to be carried out by the end of the year.

She said those include some lane striping and seeding, sodding and backfilling in nearby grassy areas. "It's like the icing on the cake," she said.
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/business/278m-overhaul-of-i-270-in-north-st-louis-county-almost-done/article_d6b04636-985f-11ee-bf0f-9f9c4ded3a95.html

afguy

State Rep. Cody Smith said the I-44 expansion between Joplin and St. Louis could cost as much as $9 billion and that a funding plan would take at least a year to develop.

I-44 Expansion a Key Legislative Challenge for Missouri in 2024
Quote"Although we are already starting to process or start doing overpasses, we start doing work on I-44 actually working our way to that time when we're going to expand I-44. So I think there'll be more talks about that," said Parson. It's already a focus for the Missouri Department of Transportation.

MoDOT has been studying the issues for years, like the growing number of vehicles on the road, which can lead to a traffic slowdown and potentially dangerous conditions.

"Congestion around some of the cities is bordering on just dangerous at this point. And so I think we need to look at, you know, long term, a third lane on my 44 but in the short term, at least trying to alleviate some of that congestion," said MO Rep. Cody Smith, (R).

MoDOT reports also look at the number and severity of I-44 wrecks, along with the associated property damage, injuries and deaths. The Jasper County section of the interstate alone tops the state average for fatal crashes.

Smith says it's an important debate at the state level, but not likely one with an easy fix.

"So we think it could cost as much as about 9 billion to completely reconstruct I-44. So that gives you a sense of context about the scale. If I-70 was about three and I-44 is about nine then that tells you kind of all you need to know about the length and the traffic and the use of I 44 itself," said Smith.

Smith says it's likely to take more than a year to develop a plan and funding for the complete I-44 overhaul.
https://www.fourstateshomepage.com/local-news/joplin-news/i-44-expansion-a-key-legislative-challenge-for-missouri-in-2024/#:~:text=KSNF%2FKODE%20%E2%80%94%20Massive%20construction%20to,an%20expensive%20challenge%20to%20address.

I-35

BILL FILED IN JEFFERSON CITY WOULD CHANGE I-44/I-70 NAMES

A proposed bill to be considered in the next Missouri General Assembly would flipflop the names of interstates 70 and 44 running through the state.

House Bill-2067 pre-filed on Wednesday by Representative Don Mayhew would change the name of Interstate-70 from the Kansas-Missouri state line to the Missouri-Illinois line to Interstate-44.

The bill would also change the name of Interstate-44 stretching from its current boundary in the St. Louis area to the Missouri-Oklahoma line to Interstate-70.

The short two paragraph introduction of the bill goes no further with any other information provided for the proposed changes to the names of the two interstates.

The 2024 General Assembly begins at 12-noon on Wednesday, January 3rd.

Anyone know what this is about?

https://www.krmsradio.com/bill-filed-in-jefferson-city-would-change-i-44-i-70-names/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.