News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Georgia

Started by Bryant5493, March 27, 2009, 09:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ran4sh

I thought Michigan didn't have tolls or E-ZPass...

Also this means E-ZPass agencies are finally accepting sticker transponders. And it looks like some E-ZPass members are switching to stickers for their own customers accounts.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

D-Dey65

Quote from: ran4sh on January 20, 2024, 06:30:40 PM
Not even between the mainland and the UP? Because I could've swore they had them there.

Rothman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 22, 2024, 03:04:19 PM
Not even between the mainland and the UP? Because I could've swore they had them there.
Tolls, yes.  E-ZPass, no.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Rothman on January 22, 2024, 03:12:12 PM

Bay City, MI has a toll bridge that accepts E-ZPass...

Rothman

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 22, 2024, 03:20:01 PM

Heh.  That's silly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Gnutella

Quote from: Tom958 on January 12, 2024, 09:00:42 PM
Quote from: Gnutella on January 04, 2024, 11:28:10 PM
GA 316 UPDATES
I still think GDOT should make building an overpass at Carl-Bethlehem Road a much higher priority, especially with construction of the West Winder Bypass interchange imminent. Doing that would increase the length of uninterrupted highway to 16 miles, and leave only two traffic signals in Barrow County, at Kilcrease Road and GA 211.

I think a case could be made for simply closing Carl-Bethlehem Road there. Traffic could use Haymon Morris, Roxey Maxey, and Tom Miller Roads instead, or 316. Maybe leave it as a pair of RIROs until the Winder Bypass interchange is done to keep from dumping too much traffic in the construction zone.

GDOT has already designed an overpass for Carl-Bethlehem Road with an intent to remove access from GA 316, which makes sense, given that the road directly connects two population centers in Barrow County (Carl/Auburn and Bethlehem) and carries enough traffic for GDOT to have signalized the intersection with GA 316.

ElishaGOtis

Quote from: Rothman on January 22, 2024, 11:03:57 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 22, 2024, 03:20:01 PM

Heh.  That's silly.

https://baycitybridgepartners.com/

United Bridge Partners did that project it seems. https://unitedbridgepartners.com/our-projects-united-bridge-partners/

Curious as to see how interoperability works in the future with more of their projects.
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

chrislopezz

What is Corridor Z in Georgia?
I know that it said in AlpsRoads.net about GA 520, stating;

[/size]
The first photo is courtesy John Krakoff via Adam Prince, and the second is from J. P. Nasiatka. All of GA 520 is Corridor Z, a high-priority corridor to the Coastal Georgia Regional Development Center and a GRIP (Governor's Road Improvement Program) corridor, but not an Appalachian Regional Development highway. It's also all the South Georgia Parkway, and most of the time GA 520 shields will be green to reflect its special nature. (It could be argued that plain 520 shields - black on white on black - are errors.)

Source: AlpsRoads.net
I just want to know because they added that segment onto a Wikipedia article about GA 520.

Rothman

It's a corridor of the Appalachian Development Highway System, which is now considered almost fully built out, but consisted of designated corridors from GA all the way up to NY.

US 89

Quote from: Rothman on January 25, 2024, 02:20:05 PM
It's a corridor of the Appalachian Development Highway System, which is now considered almost fully built out, but consisted of designated corridors from GA all the way up to NY.

It's not an official ADHS corridor though, but for whatever reason they treat it as if it were one, so it gets a letter and the fancy colored shield treatment. The only official ADHS corridor in Georgia is Corridor A, which follows GA 515 and is almost entirely signed with blue shields.

There are plenty of other GRIP corridors in Georgia that aren't also ADHS corridors but for all intents and purposes result in the same thing - a four lane divided highway. US 27, US 19 south of Atlanta, and US 84 are just a few of them that I use regularly.

Tomahawkin

IMO, if they are not going to build another perimeter around Atlanta, then GDOT needs to seriously invest in making US 27 up to near Freeway standards from the Tennessee state line to Florida. The Spring/Summer vacation traffic on IH 75 sucks even with 75 being 6 lanes total for 95 percent of the state...

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/53487575243
Is Georgia, with their span wire reassurance shields, the only state to do this on a regular basis?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Plutonic Panda

They 100% need to be planning on another perimeter, even though it probably wouldn't even start construction for another 50 years.

roadman65

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 27, 2024, 05:32:36 PM
They 100% need to be planning on another perimeter, even though it probably wouldn't even start construction for another 50 years.

Plus Chattanooga needs one. However, the traffic it would avoid is Tennessee's problem. So GDOT isn't  going to cooperate with Tennessee and build a southern side beltway to take traffic out of the I-75/ I-24 interchange.

Sheryl Crowe

Georgia

Chattanooga's beltway is going to be near impossible to build, even the southern half of one would be a nightmare. 

lordsutch

Quote from: roadman65 on January 27, 2024, 06:05:38 PM
Plus Chattanooga needs one. However, the traffic it would avoid is Tennessee's problem. So GDOT isn't  going to cooperate with Tennessee and build a southern side beltway to take traffic out of the I-75/ I-24 interchange.

Mississippi looked at I-269 as an opportunity to attract business that would have located in the Memphis area to come to DeSoto and Marshall counties in their state instead, even though it would only apparently relieve traffic in Memphis at the time; given that they just pulled a $2 billion battery manufacturing plant there, it would seem to be paying off.

Alternatively if GDOT as as gung ho about toll roads as Florida, they'd be all over the opportunity to pull the Chattanooga bypass traffic across as much as Georgia as they could get away with. But they're looking for excuses not to build freeways, not excuses to build them.

roadman65

Well the Lookout Mountain would be a barrier, although a tolled tunnel would be the answer to get it through that, but that maybe the excuse not to build.

On another subject,  in Moultrie, GA where US 319 has its only business route, I noticed that the entire alignment of that business route is concurrent with GA 33. Apparently Georgia don't want the GA 33 & 133 concurrency to continue along the bypass, but to have GA 33 be the business route while GA 133 to be the bypass while creating a business loop for US 319 and having a mainline bypass instead.

My question is does GA 35 have a business route as well as its concurrent US 319?  Considering that GA 33 is concurrent with US 319 Business, I would think GDOT would need not to have another GA designation as GA 33 would be its state number inventory. GA 35 could just be the Veterans Parkway Bypass and no need for a redundant business route here.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Tunneling through Lookout Mountain would trigger the biggest 4(f) issues ever with the National Park Service site and other attractions on the mountain itself.

roadman65

Is Lookout Mountain in GA part of the NPS? I would think split it off at the I-24 and I-59 junction and head Southeast.  That's hypothetical of course as Georgia would never build for reasons explained earlier, but it could be done with ease if governments were on board if it was entirely in GA in theory.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on January 29, 2024, 01:33:56 PM
Is Lookout Mountain in GA part of the NPS? I would think split it off at the I-24 and I-59 junction and head Southeast.  That's hypothetical of course as Georgia would never build for reasons explained earlier, but it could be done with ease if governments were on board if it was entirely in GA in theory.
Doesn't matter.  You'd have to go very far south to get to a point where you would not affect land owned by the NPS as part of the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park.  Even if you stay outside of its technical boundary, consideration would still need to be paid to resolve 4(f).

ElishaGOtis

Quote from: Rothman on January 29, 2024, 01:09:43 PM
Tunneling through Lookout Mountain would trigger the biggest 4(f) issues ever with the National Park Service site and other attractions on the mountain itself.

Plus risking disruption of the caves & waterfalls...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Falls
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

Georgia

Ruby Falls is at the northernmost part of Lookout, it would be well out of the path of any proposed beltway path.
I lived in Dalton for 2 years and worked for GDOT for 5, and I never heard any mention of this by either party unlike the Northern Arc; that should tell you just how far down the feasibility scale this beltway or partial is. 

architect77

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 27, 2024, 05:32:36 PM

Although a Northern Arc would have been great if built 20 years ago before Forsyth County exploded in population, today it's impossible. Plus an outer perimeter's gigantic diameter would make it not very useful for metro Atlanta's local traffic.

A far Western bypass for I-75 to avoid mixing into metro Atlanta's local traffic would help divert Midwest-to-Florida traffic. It could be done affordably through rural land along the Alabama border then rejoining existing I-75 near Macon.

The other great need is I-85 traffic heading across Georgia Westward to the South Central states. With the 4 I-285 Express lanes coming (2 in each direction), that will more or less meet this need. These lanes with guaranteed free flow of 45mph or greater, won't ever get bogged down because of dynamic pricing.

Rothman

Quote from: chrislopezz on February 10, 2024, 10:40:48 PM
US 53 isn't supposed to be there.

It's been there since circa 2013, yet GDOT still hasn't fixed it.
I-985 North exit 16

Dude, this is just a US/State mixup error.  No need to spam the forum with it in multiple threads.

architect77

Quote from: chrislopezz on February 10, 2024, 10:40:48 PM
US 53 isn't supposed to be there.

It's been there since circa 2013, yet GDOT still hasn't fixed it.
I-985 North exit 16

Find out which division is responsible for that location and email them on their website. They do respond to requests.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.