News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Dodge Challenger Demon

Started by Max Rockatansky, April 12, 2017, 08:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 29, 2017, 11:54:29 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 29, 2017, 10:40:52 AMYeah thing is that almost every dealer is going mark those Demons above 100k for sure.  The same thing happened when the Hellcat came out, might be a decent time to grab one of those at MSRP.  Hell, I'm averaging only 14.2 MPG over 3,900 miles in my Scat Pack....maybe single digits is possible in the Demon?
IIRC & on one car forum; Dodge supposedly warned dealerships not to go bonkers with marking-up the prices on the Hellcat versions when they first rolled out (they wanted the cars to be actually sold & on the road).  Whether or not the dealerships complied w/such is unknown. 

Given the 3000 production ceiling on the Demon; Dodge may not have issued a similar warning to the dealers.

Is that 14.2 mpg average you're getting mostly around-town driving or highway.  It's probably a reasonable assumption that the 23 mph highway rating was not obtained doing 80+ mph.  Most of today's overdrive transmissions hit the fuel economy sweetspot (i.e. highest) between 65-75 mph.

Most of the Dodge dealers I encountered generally ignored the directive for stuff that was on showrooms, my understanding was that in general it was way easier to order a car and get it close to MSRP.  With the Demon we'll see what happens, I would imagine that number of folks putting in orders would be pretty substantial.

Well, put this way most of those miles on my car have been pretty hard driven.  I'd say its a good mix of 90% farm roads with stop signs every mile or two and state routes in the Sierras like the CA 245 or others like it.  I did average 27.4 MPG driving from Phoenix up to Route 66 country and back to Fresno, I want to say that was a 700 mile trip.

bugo

Automatic only. Not interested. I'd rather have a 6 speed Hellcat.

bugo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2017, 12:58:56 PM
Yeah I would too given the right amount of money, those Super Stocks were all-time classics and have been for awhile.  Really what is interesting to me is if a car like the Challenger Demon will hold its value or really become a true classic in time.  Supposedly increases in power output were going to subside with all the EPA economy hikes but nowadays 400 to 500hp is somewhat common place and very easily obtainable.  Who's to say that the progression won't continue for another 20 years with improving power train technology that an 800hp car would be something obtainable by the "every man" from the dealer.

It will definitely be collectible, but prices will be kept down because a large percentage of these cars will be stored away with 50 miles on them in hopes of selling it for a profit 30 years from now.

bugo

Quote from: Rothman on April 17, 2017, 02:40:23 PM
1970 Hemi 'Cuda.

The Hemi 'Cuda is too popular and too cliche. And too expensive. I'd rather have something like a Coronet R/T or a Road Runner with a Hemi or even a 440 (which was almost as quick as the Hemi on the street).

bugo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 17, 2017, 02:59:05 PM
It's hard to really justify a muscle car as something that can compete with modern cars in terms of power when you take 20% reduction off he advertised gross rating down to the modern net ratings.  A good example would be a 450hp 1970 LS6 Chevelle suddenly becoming 360hp from the simple switch to net ratings.  A lot of those cars had substandard suspensions and often carried drum brakes as well, they honestly for the most part couldn't keep with even the majority of late 1990s cars. 

It's not just about power and acceleration. Driving a car from the 1960s or 1970s is a completely different experience than driving a modern car is. Vintage cars are more "raw" and less refined and can be a handful in traffic. Modern cars are boring at legal speeds. It's a primal, visceral thing.

bugo

Quote from: nexus73 on April 17, 2017, 07:05:51 PM
Back In The Day: Kelly Blue Books would have an insurance symbol for the various models and those in the know paid attention to them.  You want cheap insurance?  You'd better show up with a 318 B-block in that 'Cuda.  Plenty of buyers did.  Oh, you want to step up to a 340?  Pay more.  A 383 Magnum?  Pay more than that.  A 440 Magnum?  Hope you got a deep wallet!  Hemi?  OMG $$$...LOL!  Insurance rates took the starch right out of the muscle car era as much as government regulation did.

The 1971 Plymouth 'Cuda (not the "Barracuda") came with a 340 V8 standard. The 318 was not available in the 'Cuda model that year.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bugo on October 19, 2017, 07:26:44 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 17, 2017, 02:59:05 PM
It's hard to really justify a muscle car as something that can compete with modern cars in terms of power when you take 20% reduction off he advertised gross rating down to the modern net ratings.  A good example would be a 450hp 1970 LS6 Chevelle suddenly becoming 360hp from the simple switch to net ratings.  A lot of those cars had substandard suspensions and often carried drum brakes as well, they honestly for the most part couldn't keep with even the majority of late 1990s cars. 

It's not just about power and acceleration. Driving a car from the 1960s or 1970s is a completely different experience than driving a modern car is. Vintage cars are more "raw" and less refined and can be a handful in traffic. Modern cars are boring at legal speeds. It's a primal, visceral thing.

I can't dispute that, even driving a daily commuter at high speed can often be more thrilling than a modern performance car these days. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.