News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Where do you live?

Started by cjk374, July 23, 2017, 10:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What best describes where you live?

Mega-city (NYC, Houston, Los Angeles, e.g.) 500K + population
Big city 100K-500K population
City 10K-100K population
Town 1K-10K population
Village (under 1K population)
Outside any municipal entity

cu2010

This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on July 23, 2017, 09:20:17 PM
I live in a border town. I can walk to the street corner and look into the next state. :)

Or I can walk to it in less than 10 minutes :)
Same!
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JJBers

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 25, 2017, 08:15:22 AM
I still can't believe when I read stories from elsewhere when an entire county is getting their first traffic light.  The last *municipality* in my county (24 in total) to get a light was about 12 years ago, and it was amazing they managed to go that long without one.
Several counties in Utah don't have a traffic light. Beaver, Daggett, Morgan, Piute, Rich, and Wayne Counties don't have any full traffic lights. (Piute does have a 4-way stop with blinking red lights mounted on traffic light poles.)
My town has a single 3-way light that blinks...all yellow for some reason. The towns to the north and east of me don't have a single light. (Even though both of them have larger populations and more important highways, like US 6)
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

US 89

Quote from: JJBers on August 09, 2017, 10:33:17 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 25, 2017, 08:15:22 AM
I still can't believe when I read stories from elsewhere when an entire county is getting their first traffic light.  The last *municipality* in my county (24 in total) to get a light was about 12 years ago, and it was amazing they managed to go that long without one.
Several counties in Utah don't have a traffic light. Beaver, Daggett, Morgan, Piute, Rich, and Wayne Counties don't have any full traffic lights. (Piute does have a 4-way stop with blinking red lights mounted on traffic light poles.)
My town has a single 3-way light that blinks...all yellow for some reason. The towns to the north and east of me don't have a single light. (Even though both of them have larger populations and more important highways, like US 6)

Most rural towns in UT don't have a traffic signal or even a 4 way stop. Generally, it seems that a town has to have a population of at least 2000 to have a signal, unless there's a major highway junction or dangerous intersection there.

CapeCodder

Hyannis, Massachusetts. Originally I'm from Nantucket Island. I've lived all over the Cape and Islands. Here are the most notorious places I have lived and/or currently living.

Hyannis: a rough and tumble village that is notorious for crime/drugs. Some call it "Brockton by the Sea" The homeless population here is restless and I've seen a few open brawls on the streets. Not all are like that. When you walk the "night patrol" like I used to, you see some shit.

Nantucket: Behind its gem like outer shell lies an island in decline. Not enough housing for the locals and what housing there is, requires people to have at LEAST 2-3 jobs. This is why my mom and I left (well, MA was coming to take me from her, but that's another story.) Drugs are becoming rampant. Back in the 90's they were a problem, but not like now.

Oak Bluffs: A ghost town in the winter. Gangs/drugs are taking over this town. There is a package store there that supplies the town with all the booze the residents can drink. Don't let the nice Victorian houses deceive you. Booze is king.

NWI_Irish96

For the first time in my life, I live outside a municipal entity, though I'm within a mile of the city limits.  Next week, I'm moving to a town with a population in the 20k-30k range.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

golden eagle

JKRhodes

Quote from: jwolfer on August 04, 2017, 05:56:50 PM
Quote from: roadiejay on July 30, 2017, 10:40:08 AM
I live outside of Safford, Arizona, which has a population of ~9,500 residents. Graham County has a population of about 37,000. We have a Walmart, Home Depot, three supermarkets, fast food, a community college and a small regional hospital.

Advanced amenities require a 2+ hour trip to Tucson, or 2-3 hours to the Mesa/Phoenix area.
Some smaller towns/cities have a lot od commercial activity if they are the center for a vast rural area

LGMS428

Good point. I'm not a business expert, but seem to recall reading recently that Safford serves a market region of some 70,000 people.

jwolfer

Quote from: roadiejay on August 11, 2017, 07:01:59 PM
I live outside of Safford, Arizona, which has a population of ~9,500 residents. Graham County has a population of about 37,000. We have a Walmart, Home Depot, three supermarkets, fast food, a community college and a small regional hospital.

Advanced amenities require a 2+ hour trip to Tucson, or 2-3 hours to the Mesa/Phoenix area.
Some smaller towns/cities have a lot od commercial activity if they are the center for a vast rural area

LGMS428

Good point. I'm not a business expert, but seem to recall reading recently that Safford serves a market region of some 70,000 people.
I know people who live or lived in rural areas... A trip to Target or Costco is an all day affair a couple hours drive each way... 

In suburbia there are 4 targets within 30 minutes...

Higher end shopping is an overnight trip

LGMS428

ColossalBlocks

The land of shit, AHDT, and Interstate 555.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Henry

I was born and raised in Chicago, and lived in L.A. for a few years, both of which definitely qualify for mega-city status (which is reserved for those with 1 million people or more). Seattle is just another big city, as it has a population of only 704,352, according to Wikipedia.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

3web

I live in an unincorporated town within the township of Las Vegas with a population of 100k. (as of 2012)
Who knows where the road goes? Of course! Google maps!

JKRhodes

Quote from: jwolfer on August 11, 2017, 10:33:23 PM
Quote from: roadiejay on August 11, 2017, 07:01:59 PM

LGMS428

I know people who live or lived in rural areas... A trip to Target or Costco is an all day affair a couple hours drive each way... 

In suburbia there are 4 targets within 30 minutes...

Higher end shopping is an overnight trip

LGMS428

Exactly! Luckily a local mom 'n' pop grocer carries Kirkland paper goods for a buck or two higher than Costco's price. So it helps me to avoid the cost of a trip and a yearly membership. For everything else, I use Amazon Prime.

Doctor visits (4-6x a year) for my daughter beyond her Primary Care Physician require a 4-hour round trip. By the time meals, friends, and opportunity shopping are factored in, it's an all-day affair.

I remember in high school when my parents started making enough money to buy us school clothes at target and the mall; School Clothes Shopping meant a trip to Mesa, 1-2 nights in a hotel, and all-day shopping, along with pool time at the hotel. A "last summer vacation" of sorts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.