Which do y'all like more? Night driving or day driving?

Started by ColossalBlocks, September 17, 2017, 12:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night or day driving.

Night driving.
Day driving
I don't like neither.
I just enjoy driving in general.

bing101

doorknob60

I like both. If it's a particularly scenic road, or I've never driven it before, definitely prefer day. But driving at night, especially in rural areas, can be very relaxing (just don't get too relaxed!). For labor day weekend, I drove back from Central Oregon to Idaho on US-20, mostly at night. It is not a crowded road during the day, but it is almost empty at night. I've also driven OR-78 at night before, that one is literally completely empty. I like doing that, almost never have to worry about passing or dealing with other cars. Also I've driven that road countless times during the day, nothing more interesting for me to see during the day. But at night you have potential issue of wildlife (doesn't seem like too much of a problem in that part of Oregon, but maybe it could be), ice (I try to only drive during the day in the winter, except around the city), and overall visibility. I like a good mix of day and night when it comes down to it.

US 41

I've done a lot of both, but I've come to not like night driving because of deer and other animals. I typically just drive when the sun comes up until an hour or so after the sun goes down. I sleep in my car on road trips so once I find a good spot I typically just stay there until the sun starts to come out.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Day driving for roadgeek purposes. I'll drive local roads at night when necessary.
Ironically, both my younger brothers prefer night driving for it being peaceful.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Brian556

I hate night driving if there is oncoming traffic. I hate having headlights shine in my eyes. Its so much worse now with the new headlights, and because everybody drives huge SUV's/ pickups.

Plus, if you need to turn, you cant see what you need to see where you are turning. I once turned left, missed the road completely, and was heading straight for the grass. I couldn't tell where the road was because some idiot put the street name sign on the wrong side of the intersection instead of the top of the stop sign where it belongs.

Also, you cant accurately judge the speed of approaching vehicles when you need to cross their path of turn into the road that they are on. You need to be able to see the surface of the road in order to do that.

Also, you can't see objects on the road in time to avoid them.

Also, the bugs are way worse.

More drunks on the road.

I see nothing good about night driving except for less traffic.

sparker

There's a few roads that I'd rather do at night -- traversing L.A. freeways, for instance (for obvious reasons) -- would rather sacrifice a few nice views for the ability to actually get around town!  Also, I-5 between L.A. and S.F; if the tule fog's not an issue, then night driving is preferable (scenery? what scenery?).  Actually, except for the segment between Redding, CA and Eugene, OR, I-5 is fine at night (being the first N-S Interstate that I clinched!).  I-10 from anywhere in CA to Phoenix is much the same -- in fact, most of my travel on that segment has been at night; the same applies to any Interstate across the CA desert (15, 40).  When I was attending or exhibiting at the Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas (always in early January), I invariably returned to the Bay Area at night via I-15, CA 58, CA 99, and CA 152 -- even in the days prior to the 58 freeway connection to I-15, it was a pleasant drive -- even as part of a convoy of vehicles.  IMO -- if you're familiar with the road -- and enjoying the scenery isn't of prime concern -- then the Mojave Desert is best traversed at night.

All that being said -- obviously, daytime driving allows one to take in the territory traversed; if possible, the first drive on any road is best limited to daytime.

LM117

Quote from: Brian556 on September 20, 2017, 03:07:09 AM
I hate night driving if there is oncoming traffic. I hate having headlights shine in my eyes. Its so much worse now with the new headlights, and because everybody drives huge SUV's/ pickups.

Plus, if you need to turn, you cant see what you need to see where you are turning. I once turned left, missed the road completely, and was heading straight for the grass. I couldn't tell where the road was because some idiot put the street name sign on the wrong side of the intersection instead of the top of the stop sign where it belongs.

Also, you cant accurately judge the speed of approaching vehicles when you need to cross their path of turn into the road that they are on. You need to be able to see the surface of the road in order to do that.

Also, you can't see objects on the road in time to avoid them.

Also, the bugs are way worse.

More drunks on the road.

I see nothing good about night driving except for less traffic.

Same here. I avoid driving at night as much as possible.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

US 41

Then late at night you have the bored small town cops with nothing to do that will pull you over for anything. I had this experience in Crawfordsville, IN. They pulled me over for having a headlight out. Then they proceeded to try to accuse me of being a drug dealer. Obviously they found nothing. Then they asked why I was out so late (didn't realize it was illegal to be out late at night). After all of that I got a warning, but it was still unnecessary. I just happened to be the only one out driving at that time and the cops were bored.

Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

CtrlAltDel

Is this a standard in Texas? In my area, the street blades and stop signs are almost always on separate poles.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Brian556

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on September 20, 2017, 10:10:22 AM

Is this a standard in Texas? In my area, the street blades and stop signs are almost always on separate poles.

Basically, yes. The incident I speak of was in Florida

jeffandnicole

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on September 20, 2017, 10:10:22 AM

I didn't realize there was a 'wrong side of the intersection' for street blades.

csw

Day driving for scenery, night driving for singing along to my favorite tunes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.