News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tipping Cleaning Staff at Hotels/Motels

Started by signalman, September 28, 2017, 09:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 17, 2017, 02:46:50 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on October 17, 2017, 02:01:43 PM
If you're paying over $5 for a "school lunch" , I can't imagine that it's the kind of federally subsidized lunch that comes in a multi-section tray (like the one below). Either you're buying food items a la carte, or you're going to a private school which can charge whatever it wants. School districts set their own prices, but the average for middle school lunches nationwide is $2.54.

I buy double or triple lunch.

Rarely bought the lunch in school (whether elementary, junior high, or high school).  Usually, I brought mine with the foods I wanted and in the quantities I wanted.  Wound up being cheaper as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jakeroot

If you're paying over $5 for a "school lunch" , I can't imagine that it's the kind of federally subsidized lunch that comes in a multi-section tray (like the one below). Either you're buying food items a la carte, or you're going to a private school which can charge whatever it wants. School districts set their own prices, but the average for middle school lunches nationwide is $2.54.

Steady on, RGT. You may regret that decision when your metabolism slows.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jakeroot on October 17, 2017, 04:25:59 PM

I don't get tons of junk food.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kkt

Lunch for high school students in Seattle public schools is $3.25, or free if income qualified for free lunch.  The lunches are prepared in a central kitchen so they're a bit less fresh than the meal tray Briantroutman pictured.

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 17, 2017, 06:56:14 PM

Too much of anything can spell danger. But I'm glad to hear you aren't just plowing through Pop Tarts and brownies.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jakeroot on October 17, 2017, 09:41:42 PM

Too much of anything can spell danger. But I'm glad to hear you aren't just plowing through Pop Tarts and brownies.
How healthy are peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 17, 2017, 10:29:43 PM

Not that bad but I think they're atrocious regardless.

Does your school sell PB&J sandwiches or do you bring them? My schools never sold such sandwhiches (most meals were cooked items).

kphoger

Whole wheat bread is pretty good for you, but simple white bread converts to sugar very easily.  Jelly is basically sugar in a jar.  You're better off eating plain peanut butter.

(This is from a guy who eats a PBJ, a boiled egg, and cookies every day at work for lunch, but that's just because I'm cheap.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

I would be surprised if any schools allow kids to bring PB&J sandwiches from home anymore, much less provide them as part of lunch, because of peanut allergies.

We had PB sandwiches (no J) served with chili or vegetable soup when I was in school.

Peanut butter and syrup (as in Karo syrup) sandwiches are popular around here, but I don't like them, nor do I care for PB&J. I'll take my PB straight, and often eaten straight from the jar.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jakeroot on October 17, 2017, 10:44:39 PM

Does your school sell PB&J sandwiches or do you bring them? My schools never sold such sandwhiches (most meals were cooked items).
They sell them.
Quote from: hbelkins on October 18, 2017, 02:09:15 PM
I would be surprised if any schools allow kids to bring PB&J sandwiches from home anymore, much less provide them as part of lunch, because of peanut allergies.

We had PB sandwiches (no J) served with chili or vegetable soup when I was in school.

Peanut butter and syrup (as in Karo syrup) sandwiches are popular around here, but I don't like them, nor do I care for PB&J. I'll take my PB straight, and often eaten straight from the jar.
I am in high school, not elementry school you know.

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 18, 2017, 05:47:36 PM
I am in high school, not [elementary] school you know.

Your consistent spelling errors indicate otherwise.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jakeroot on October 18, 2017, 05:52:49 PM

I have made a recent effort to fix spelling errors.

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 18, 2017, 05:58:19 PM

Was a bit of a low-blow on my part, there. Sorry. Good on you for making a concerted effort. Not sure why spelling bothers so many of us.

GaryV

Quote from: jakeroot on October 17, 2017, 10:44:39 PM

They sell them.
Quote from: hbelkins on October 18, 2017, 02:09:15 PM

I am in high school, not elementry school you know.

And HS kids don't have allergies?

My daughter would have starved.  She brought a pb sandwich to school almost every day.

kkt

By high school, kids with peanut allergies have been diagnosed and make a huge point of it.  They no longer have to ban peanuts just in case someone has a serious allergy who hasn't let them know.

english si

Quote from: kphoger on October 18, 2017, 09:36:21 AMYou're better off eating plain peanut butter.
PB's extremely calorific - not just from the 20% carbs (with twice the sugar to starch), but the 50% fat too.

I'm not sure why calories from fat should be ignored and sugar be treated as the only evil (not least as Jaime 'fatty' Oliver's crusade against sugar in the UK hasn't improved anything and created other problems). PB is no better than jelly.

Plus, a PB&J doesn't have that much jelly (or PB) so the teaspoon of sugar from the fillings are fine - providing you aren't eating tons of sugar elsewhere: moderation is the key, as always.

Scott5114

My understanding of nutrition as a science–which is still very much in its infancy, so I may be wrong here–is that calories from fat are better than those from carbs because they are more satiating than those from carbs, and also promote the absorption of nutrients. You're more likely to stay full longer from 100 calories of fat than 100 calories of sugar, so your total calories consumed is likely to stay lower since you won't need to eat again as quickly. Of course, calories from protein are probably the best.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Beltway

No protein.  Uggh.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Quote from: english si on October 19, 2017, 03:52:29 AM
Quote from: kphoger on October 18, 2017, 09:36:21 AMYou're better off eating plain peanut butter.
PB's extremely calorific - not just from the 20% carbs (with twice the sugar to starch), but the 50% fat too.

I'm not sure why calories from fat should be ignored and sugar be treated as the only evil (not least as Jaime 'fatty' Oliver's crusade against sugar in the UK hasn't improved anything and created other problems). PB is no better than jelly.

Plus, a PB&J doesn't have that much jelly (or PB) so the teaspoon of sugar from the fillings are fine - providing you aren't eating tons of sugar elsewhere: moderation is the key, as always.

While I've always liked PB, I probably eat more today than I ever did as a kid.  Most days when I get home from work I'll have a slice of bread and PB.  Maybe 2...if I'm real hungry.

I was also one of the few kids that got lunch as school...Every.  Single.  Day.  I never brought it, and I'm not saying maybe once in a while - I'm saying Never!  I also had a tendency to like whatever offering was available at school.  My mom will often note during a specific parent-child luncheon one day the chicken the cafeteria served was awful. No one ate it...except me!  I probably had no clue there was nothing wrong with it.  And that's still me today - If it's in front of me, I'll probably eat it!

Beltway

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2017, 07:22:17 AM
Quote from: Beltway on October 19, 2017, 06:57:36 AM
No protein.  Uggh.
I mean, there's milk, but...

There actually are minimal amounts of protein in milk and spaghetti and a few other non-meat, non-poultry, non-egg foods, but very minimal.

I don't really recall exactly what was in my school lunches (that would have been in the 1960s and early 1970s), but I do recall substantial meat/protein items such as ham, hamburger, and eggs.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

kkt

Quote from: english si on October 19, 2017, 03:52:29 AM

Yes, and if that wasn't enough, almost all commercially sold peanut butter in the U.S. has added sugar besides.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on October 18, 2017, 06:03:49 PM

Was a bit of a low-blow on my part, there. Sorry. Good on you for making a concerted effort. Not sure why spelling bothers so many of us.

It's because people who care about highway stripes, numbering schemes, kerning, regulations, etc, etc... tend to be anal-retentive sticklers.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

Quote from: kphoger on October 19, 2017, 01:43:10 PM

It's because people who care about highway stripes, numbering schemes, kerning, regulations, etc, etc... tend to be anal-retentive sticklers.

... sticklers who tend to answer rhetorical questions.  ;)

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on October 19, 2017, 02:27:12 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 19, 2017, 01:43:10 PM

... sticklers who tend to answer rhetorical questions.  ;)

I should have gone with my original "anal sticklers."  Then your reply would have been a sleazy pun instead of a jab to the gut.   :bigass:
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.