News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AIM will shut down after 20 years

Started by ZLoth, October 06, 2017, 04:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From The Verge:

AIM will shut down after 20 years
QuoteIt's a sad moment: AIM, AOL's long-running instant messenger service that was core to many people's first social experiences on the internet, will shut down once and for all on December 15th. AOL announced the shutdown today, acknowledging that people now communicate in new ways online, so AIM is no longer needed.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

I think I only used Instant Messaging extremely sparingly outside of work for a few years already. Anyone use ICQ? I had a low number (6442906), but I killed it off a few years ago due to non-use. I just removed my AIM account a few days ago due to non-use. Anyone remember Trillian which connected several IM accounts from different services under one client? Removed a few days ago as well.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Stephane Dumas

ICQ, it had been a while then I didn't used it.... ^^;

I didn't installed Trillian when I bought a more recent computer.

LM117

I'm surprised it even lasted this long. I don't know of anybody (myself included) that used IM of any kind in the last 10 years. IM has been essentially dead since the late 2000's. Facebook, Twitter and advances in texting killed IM. Hell, even MySpace put a dent in IM before Facebook killed MySpace.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

mgk920

ICQ is still active.  Amazing in that it still works on my Intel Mac Mini.  I just loaded it and it logged in - on my 20 Y/O seven digit account number (5634876), complete with the contact list as it was from the early 00s.  It also showed an upgrade dated a couple of weeks ago that can be downloaded.

"Oh oh".  :-)

I'm thinking that it is still popular in Asia.

Mike

ZLoth

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.