News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Community says goodbye to historic Savanna-Sabula bridge

Started by index, November 02, 2017, 05:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

Sharing this news article here, the Savanna-Sabula bridge will soon be no more.

It's quite bittersweet for some residents of Savanna and Sabula, as they grew up around the bridge. It is a good thing to have a new bridge, but I could also agree with the locals, it's bittersweet. It's an interesting, intricate, beautiful, and unique bridge that's about to go soon.

Article here: http://www.kwqc.com/content/news/Community-says-goodbye-to-historic-Savanna-Sabula-bridge-452191803.html
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Rick Powell

Nice story, and it's good that they had a ceremony while the old bridge is still standing. When we removed the IL 351 lift bridge at La Salle, there was an event on the last day open in August 2001  where members of the Marincic and VanDewyngaerde families walked across the old bridge, making them the last to cross the bridge before its closing. Members of the two families were the first to cross the bridge when it opened in 1929.

sparker

Quote from: index on November 02, 2017, 05:40:13 PM
Sharing this news article here, the Savanna-Sabula bridge will soon be no more.

It's quite bittersweet for some residents of Savanna and Sabula, as they grew up around the bridge. It is a good thing to have a new bridge, but I could also agree with the locals, it's bittersweet. It's an interesting, intricate, beautiful, and unique bridge that's in its death throes.

Article here: http://www.kwqc.com/content/news/Community-says-goodbye-to-historic-Savanna-Sabula-bridge-452191803.html

The old US 52 bridge -- or, more accurately, series of bridges over Mississippi River channels -- was one of the more picturesque bridges in that neck of the woods.  I "found" it in the mid-80's while taking photos of the older Miss River RR bridges (the old Milwaukee bridge paralleled the highway facility).  I've always found the upper Mississippi valley to be one of the most beautiful/photogenic areas of the Midwest.  The RR bridge is still being used; it's now part of the CP system.  The only question I'd have is whether there's a timetable for the dismantling of the old bridge.

index

Quote from: Rick Powell on November 03, 2017, 06:10:44 PM
Nice story, and it's good that they had a ceremony while the old bridge is still standing. When we removed the IL 351 lift bridge at La Salle, there was an event on the last day open in August 2001  where members of the Marincic and VanDewyngaerde families walked across the old bridge, making them the last to cross the bridge before its closing. Members of the two families were the first to cross the bridge when it opened in 1929.

I always like hearing things about family history and bloodlines in connection with local history and places, it tells you the area has a strong sense of community. Over here in the big metropolitan areas, you never get any that.

On the topic of bridges, while seeing bridges like that go is a must, I never like it. They're usually replaced by a bridge that lacks the character, symbolic quality, interesting-ness, (for lack of a better word that I can think of) and historical value of the old one.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

DandyDan

When I lived in the Chicago area during high school, my grandpa in SW Minnesota, who was not a fan of the Interstates, had to come up with a route between the two areas. The route he chose went over the Savanna-Sabula Bridge, which turned out to be greatly convenient, as Route 64 went straight through to St. Charles, where I lived.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

iowahighways

The new bridge opened yesterday. The old bridge is supposed to be demolished next spring. Story from the Clinton (IA) Herald
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

hbelkins

Wonder if they will have mayfly problems on the new bridge?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

They will.  Mayfly problems are not inherent on bridge design, but simply because of location in the Mississippi River valley.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on November 20, 2017, 07:10:39 AM
They will.  Mayfly problems are not inherent on bridge design, but simply because of location in the Mississippi River valley.

That one incident that occurred a few years ago got a lot of media play, but I have not heard of any major infestations/invasions there since then.

Locally, we had a mayfly invasion make regional news this year, even though their appearance in town and at the gas station/convenience store in question (next to the river) is an annual occurrence.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

^ That's just it...it *IS* an annual occurrence, but a lot of people don't realize that, especially those who don't live in the river valleys.  Does it get bad?  Not every year, but occasionally.....I recall a few years where MnDOT had to use snowplows to scrape mayflies off the I-494 Wakota Bridge.

Mdcastle

Mayflies are the reason for the Low Pressure Sodium vapor lights on several of the Mississippi River bridges. The Great River Bridge used to have them but they were removed because bridge vibrations were causing premature failures of the long lamps.

paulthemapguy

"Bittersweet" is exactly the word I would use to describe this.  I'm excited by a nice, new, sturdy bridge for the sake of public safety (and let's face it, aesthetic), but I really enjoyed driving across that old bridge.  I've gone across it probably 3 different times.  It really allows you to take in the vastness of the Mississippi, and muse about how there's an Iowa town that got established on an island.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.