News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What happened to the handle?

Started by roadman65, November 30, 2018, 10:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 04, 2018, 12:21:05 PM
I never really got the huge aversion to "no problem" some people seem to have. I think it's mostly in the minds of stodgy, tie-wearing fucks that don't actually do any work and don't understand that literally nobody under the age of thirty (hell, could be thirty-five or forty at this point) is going to find it objectionable.

This mindset is the same way I view literally all responses to "thank you" or "appreciate it". None of them are supposed to be taken literally. Same way that "bless you" isn't supposed to be a religious reference. These sayings have no modern meaning other than "I acknowledge you". I followed Marriott guidelines to avoid warnings but I never felt like anyone really cared, because no one ever felt like "no problem" implied "was a problem".

NE2

They mean the same. "You're welcome to my assistance" vs. "my assistance is no problem".
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

abefroman329

Around here, I've noticed that "Thank you" is losing ground to " 'preciate it".
Soon it will be truncated to "preesh," mark my words.

abefroman329

Quote from: jakeroot on December 04, 2018, 01:07:38 PMSame way that "bless you" isn't supposed to be a religious reference.
As a response to someone sneezing, you mean.

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on December 04, 2018, 01:07:38 PM
I never really got the huge aversion to "no problem" some people seem to have. I think it's mostly in the minds of stodgy, tie-wearing fucks that don't actually do any work and don't understand that literally nobody under the age of thirty (hell, could be thirty-five or forty at this point) is going to find it objectionable.

This mindset is the same way I view literally all responses to "thank you" or "appreciate it". None of them are supposed to be taken literally. Same way that "bless you" isn't supposed to be a religious reference. These sayings have no modern meaning other than "I acknowledge you". I followed Marriott guidelines to avoid warnings but I never felt like anyone really cared, because no one ever felt like "no problem" implied "was a problem".

Quote from: NE2 on December 04, 2018, 01:18:59 PM
They mean the same. "You're welcome to my assistance" vs. "my assistance is no problem".

Right, which is why I feel like any business worth their salt should make the people that wear ties actually go out and do some work every once in a while instead of just sitting in the office rotating the tires on their spreadsheets. Clintvale G. H. J. Combwater VI, Esq., Adjunct Senior Vice President of Marketing, Third Class, might learn a thing or two if he talks to a customer for thirty seconds.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 04, 2018, 02:39:15 PM
Clintvale G. H. J. Combwater VI, Esq., Adjunct Senior Vice President of Marketing, Third Class

I think you're just making that person up.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on December 04, 2018, 02:43:12 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 04, 2018, 02:39:15 PM
Clintvale G. H. J. Combwater VI, Esq., Adjunct Senior Vice President of Marketing, Third Class

I think you're just making that person up.

Are you sure? Here's a picture of him getting on the Internet.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 04, 2018, 12:21:05 PMI don't use "my pleasure" because 1) I try not to lie and 2) it reminds me too much of the bots that run Chick-Fil-A.
At the risk of speaking favorably about anything having to do with Chick-fil-A, at least "my pleasure" probably has its origins in the Spanish con gusto, which translates to "with pleasure."

Though if you get "pleasure" from handing me a packet of Hula Sauce or whatever it's called, well, congrats on being easily pleased.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 04, 2018, 04:28:26 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 04, 2018, 12:21:05 PMI don't use "my pleasure" because 1) I try not to lie and 2) it reminds me too much of the bots that run Chick-Fil-A.
At the risk of speaking favorably about anything having to do with Chick-fil-A, at least "my pleasure" probably has its origins in the Spanish con gusto, which translates to "with pleasure."

Though if you get "pleasure" from handing me a packet of Hula Sauce or whatever it's called, well, congrats on being easily pleased.

I'm a huge fan of Chick-fil-A, but I can't stand the "my pleasure" schtick they have.  It has become my personal goal to say something to the employee that cannot reasonably be answered with "my pleasure."  Doing so was suggested to me by a friend when the first non-college CFA in Wichita opened up.  The simplest way to go is "have a good evening."  It trips them up sometimes.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 04, 2018, 04:36:26 PM

I'm a huge fan of Chick-fil-A, but I can't stand the "my pleasure" schtick they have.  It has become my personal goal to say something to the employee that cannot reasonably be answered with "my pleasure."  Doing so was suggested to me by a friend when the first non-college CFA in Wichita opened up.  The simplest way to go is "have a good evening."  It trips them up sometimes.
You could go "what's the most important thing in the universe?"

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 04, 2018, 04:52:55 PM

Chick-fil-A

And then casually walk away, smirking?  Or stand there expectantly while their brain spins around inside their head?
Male pronouns, please.

NE2

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 04, 2018, 02:17:52 PM
Around here, I've noticed that "Thank you" is losing ground to " 'preciate it".
Soon it will be truncated to "preesh," mark my words.
https://www.waywordradio.org/preesh/
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 04, 2018, 04:57:14 PM

Chick-fil-A

And then casually walk away, smirking?  Or stand there expectantly while their brain spins around inside their head?
No, just watch them go "my pleasure"  and blush.

triplemultiplex

See I read this thread title and thought, "The pump don't work cuz the vandal stole the handle."
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hbelkins

The last few times I've gotten something from Cook Out in Frankfort, they've also said "my pleasure."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Isn't that "42"?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on December 05, 2018, 12:11:55 PM

Isn't that "42"?
No, that's "what is six times seven?"

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 05, 2018, 12:34:41 PM

Isn't that "42"?

Actually it's...

Quote from: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
What do you get when you multiply six by nine?
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 05, 2018, 02:14:16 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 05, 2018, 12:34:41 PM

Isn't that "42"?

Actually it's...

At the end of Life, the Universe, and Everything, doesn't Arthur pull Scrabble tiles out of a bag that spell out "what is six times seven?" or something similar?

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on December 05, 2018, 02:14:16 PM

↑  That's what the Scrabble tiles say.  ↑
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

The number of people that miss the joke behind the Question makes me lose faith in humanity.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MikieTimT

As a married Christian man, I just feel guilty "pleasuring" the females that work there.

jeffandnicole

Back to the original question...

I was in a Home2Suites by Hilton in Nashville a few weekends ago.  They have a dual movement handle - push forward for a light flush; back for a normal flush.  Or it was the other way.  I couldn't remember remember, and I was looking at it. Basically, if it doesn't flush down what's in there, try again.

qguy

Quote from: Rothman on December 18, 2018, 12:42:01 PM
The number of people that miss the joke behind the Question makes me lose faith in humanity.

^  ^  ^
This.

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.