News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Oregon

Started by Hurricane Rex, December 12, 2017, 06:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

From OPB: How freeway builders collided with Oregon's growth management system

Pretty good look into the 1980s revival of a west side freeway proposal.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on August 09, 2022, 04:05:14 AM
From OPB: How freeway builders collided with Oregon's growth management system

Pretty good look into the 1980s revival of a west side freeway proposal.

That was a great read. Thanks for sharing, Bruce.

I have to echo their frustration, at least long term. Washington County doesn't seem to have pulled enough from that LUTRAQ proposal over the years, and I think you can see that in the dwindling MAX ridership numbers, even pre-pandemic. Development patterns seem to have changed very little since the 1960s and 1970s, with only slightly more density in certain pockets. Enough hasn't changed that, frankly, I'm not sure the lack of a bypass has truly had any positive effect on development patterns. The lack of a bypass may have resulted in more infill than if a bypass were built, no doubt, but I'm not convinced the differences of that alternate reality and what we see today would be remarkably different.

Was any map ever made public showing the route options?

Sub-Urbanite

1000 Friends of Oregon posted it on their Instagram today but of course it showed the broad corridors, showing that literally half of Washington County would become a freeway.

Alps

Is there any way to determine Umatilla County routes? Old 395 west of Pendleton is definitely one but there are no signs with route numbers.

ClassicHasClass

You mean the alignment through Echo? That's old US 30; US 395 went along OR 37.

Alps

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on September 25, 2022, 08:02:58 PM
Crap but thanks! So okay, does old 30 have a number?

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Alps on September 25, 2022, 10:25:27 PM

Some counties include the numbers of their roads on their GIS maps. I'm on my phone right now, so I haven't checked yet if Umatilla County's GIS has that. I'll see if I can pull it up and find anything out.

Edit: It looks like the number is included in the GIS data, as CO_RD_NUM. Umatilla River Road and Rieth Road, the former US-30 alignments, are defined as Co. Rd. 1275 and Co. Rd. 1300 respectively.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

Alps

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on September 26, 2022, 12:00:44 AM
Quote from: Alps on September 25, 2022, 10:25:27 PM

Some counties include the numbers of their roads on their GIS maps. I'm on my phone right now, so I haven't checked yet if Umatilla County's GIS has that. I'll see if I can pull it up and find anything out.

Edit: It looks like the number is included in the GIS data, as CO_RD_NUM. Umatilla River Road and Rieth Road, the former US-30 alignments, are defined as Co. Rd. 1275 and Co. Rd. 1300 respectively.
THANK YOU <3

xonhulu

I just came back from a trip to the Oregon coast.  I had a chance to cruise by the northern end of unsigned OR 542 at its junction with OR 42, and I'm pleased to report . . . something?

The 42/542 intersection is a trumpet interchange.  This signpost looks to be recently placed, looking at the ground around the base.   But it's missing the OR 542 shield that should be on the right.

I'm guessing I caught it mid-installation, and there's a 542 shield on the way?  It seems unlikely ODOT would make a space for a route shield if they didn't intend to place one there.  The signage at the gore on eastbound 42 does not appear new, so maybe that signage is also slated for replacement?

I'm also a little surprised this direction on 542 would be bannered "West."  "South" would be way more appropriate, as 542 trends mostly south and slightly east between this junction & Powers.

I'll have to check it out again the next time I go through those parts.  I only drove a mile or so down 542 before U-turning, so if there was 542 signage further along I missed it.

pderocco

The old sign shown in GSV is much bigger. I wonder if a big wind blew it over. Looks like it was mounted on a toothpick.

Bickendan

Did you go down 542 at all?

xonhulu

Quote from: Bickendan on December 21, 2022, 10:50:11 AM
Did you go down 542 at all?

Only about a mile. It was getting later in the afternoon, and I wanted to get back to Coos Bay with some light left in case there was anything new to photograph on OR 241 (there wasn't), and I was camping north of there.  Unfortunately, short days come with winter travel.

Not impossible they've installed signs elsewhere on the route, but I figured the north end is where they'd start.

Bickendan

Did you see the building that has the address xxxxx Hwy 242 painted on the side? A rare instance of the ORH number being known in the wild.

xonhulu

Quote from: Bickendan on December 21, 2022, 08:31:06 PM
Did you see the building that has the address xxxxx Hwy 242 painted on the side? A rare instance of the ORH number being known in the wild.

Not this time, but I saw it when I drove the whole road to Powers & back last summer.

If they do finally sign it as 542, I wonder if that guy will feel the need to re-paint?

Bruce

compdude787

Quote from: Bruce on February 10, 2023, 07:35:17 PM
No timed permits needed this year to access the Historic Columbia River Highway: https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2023/02/09/columbia-gorge-waterfall-corridor-permits-wont-return-this-year/69889706007/

Are they going to get rid of the permits needed to park at and visit Multnomah Falls as well? That was an unpleasant surprise when I visited the falls with my brother and his friends when they were in town last summer. At least we could see it from the parking lot...  :-D

EDIT: I actually read the article now, and it answered my question--they are going to keep the permits to park in the I-84 Multnomah Falls parking lot, unfortunately.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: compdude787 on February 28, 2023, 10:09:31 PM
No timed permits needed this year to access the Historic Columbia River Highway: https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2023/02/09/columbia-gorge-waterfall-corridor-permits-wont-return-this-year/69889706007/

Are they going to get rid of the permits needed to park at and visit Multnomah Falls as well? That was an unpleasant surprise when I visited the falls with my brother and his friends when they were in town last summer. At least we could see it from the parking lot...  :-D

EDIT: I actually read the article now, and it answered my question--they are going to keep the permits to park in the I-84 Multnomah Falls parking lot, unfortunately.

It's not like it wasn't well signed far in advance? They had VMS's in Troutdale warning drivers that permits were required.

Rothman

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on February 28, 2023, 10:38:04 PM

It's not like it wasn't well signed far in advance? They had VMS's in Troutdale warning drivers that permits were required.
All for them.  The area was getting trashed from the crowds.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

compdude787

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on February 28, 2023, 10:38:04 PM

I don't recall seeing those. I knew about the permits to drive on the Historic Columbia River Highway, since that was way more publicized than requiring permits to park at Multnomah Falls.

roadman65

Interesting video of why "Limit"  is missing on OR speed limit signs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmGDCrxYpAU
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PNWRoadgeek

The OR 217 widening is coming along nicely. The new frontage road is nearing completion, the new lighting is wonderful, and the road is gonna look nicer in general. Hopefully it fixes the traffic problems.. Considering that was one of the entire points of the widening.
I will clinch the Interstate system someday(hopefully)...

Bruce

Quote from: PNWRoadgeek on July 23, 2023, 09:36:12 PM
Hopefully it fixes the traffic problems.. Considering that was one of the entire points of the widening.

It won't. It never does.

jakeroot

I'm not even sure what "fix traffic problems" means. On its surface I suppose it (you) may mean "reduce congestion" but I think there's a lot more to it than that. Improving safety is a big indicator of a successful fix, as is an increase in capacity. Reducing traffic on surface streets is also a measure of success, though I think OR-217 needs to be about 10 lanes to have any chance of making a big impact there.

I think this project will lead to an increase in AADT on OR-217, a small reduction in traffic on nearby surface streets, and overall similar congestion to today...though with a higher capacity, you're still moving more cars, so it's still "successful", at least on paper.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Bruce on July 24, 2023, 01:45:15 AM
Hopefully it fixes the traffic problems.. Considering that was one of the entire points of the widening.

It won't. It never does.
Let's just ignore OKCs I-40 that was widened 10 years ago and let's also ignore the fact you're so hung up on semantics like "fix"  when that isn't the right word. It will help with traffic issues.

PNWRoadgeek

After thinking about it, I should have worded my post better. Yes, jakeroot. I did mean help with safety, which it probably will, or it won't, we just need to find out. The Portland Metro in general has a lot of bottlenecks, it's not I-4 bad in any way, but it's still pretty bad. But it might also lessen the congestion a little bit during the early afternoon, when it's frequently traffic-heavy. Probably won't change anything during the late afternoon, it's still gonna be a bottleneck with quite a few wrecks. Especially south of the OR 210 interchange, due to a lot of poor design flaws originally around that area(OR 217 was/is 2 lanes in each direction through Tigard except around the I-5 interchange, where it ends)

I have some plans for OR 217 myself, but I'll post those in fictional at some point.
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 24, 2023, 02:43:31 AM

It won't. It never does.
Let's just ignore OKCs I-40 that was widened 10 years ago and let's also ignore the fact you're so hung up on semantics like "fix"  when that isn't the right word. It will help with traffic issues.
Quote from: jakeroot on July 24, 2023, 02:43:24 AM
I'm not even sure what "fix traffic problems" means. On its surface I suppose it (you) may mean "reduce congestion" but I think there's a lot more to it than that. Improving safety is a big indicator of a successful fix, as is an increase in capacity. Reducing traffic on surface streets is also a measure of success, though I think OR-217 needs to be about 10 lanes to have any chance of making a big impact there.

I think this project will lead to an increase in AADT on OR-217, a small reduction in traffic on nearby surface streets, and overall similar congestion to today...though with a higher capacity, you're still moving more cars, so it's still "successful", at least on paper.

It won't. It never does.

I will clinch the Interstate system someday(hopefully)...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.