News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

West Virginia

Started by logan230, October 16, 2014, 05:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: tq-07fan on March 01, 2021, 10:20:17 PM
I too don't see 80 being safe anywhere in the state of West Virginia. I-64 between Barboursville and US 35 has enough level straight sections but is always too busy, although traffic seams to move along at 75.

It's routine for me to be driving eastbound between Mall Road and Milton, glance down at my speedometer, and see that I'm doing 85. And being passed by a bunch of other vehicles.

Corridor H has a 65 mph limit for most of its distance, and the hill going westbound toward the Moorefield exit has already become a speed trap. It's easy to let your speed get away from you going down that hill; and indeed, during the Corridor H meet a few years ago, a WV state trooper nailed someone as the meet caravan was passing through that area. I saw the cop turn around in my rear view mirror and was glad to see him speed past me and pull over a car that had passed me a bit earlier.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadwaywiz95

Our next installment in the "Virtual Tour" series is scheduled to take place on Saturday (3/6) at 6 PM ET. Come join me and members of the AARoads community as we profile Corridor L of the Appalachian Development Highway System (US Route 19) and discuss the history and features of this highway (including an in-depth discussion about the New River Gorge Bridge and its surrounding National Parkland) all while enjoying a real-time video trip along the length of the highway between Beckley and Sutton, WV.

A link to the event location can be found below and we look forward to seeing you in attendance:

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

I-55

My first time driving in WV was on I-68 east of Morgantown, where I averaged about 80 on the hills in a loaded minivan. This was also my first time driving on anything steep enough to require a climbing lane. There wasn't much traffic and all I was focused on was getting up and down the hills, where my speed fluctuated 65-85 mph, usually on the high end. I think most people will drive at the speed most comfortable to them in the terrain regardless of what the speed limit sign may read. And unless traffic is ultra light, speed can rapidly speed up and slow down on 64.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Rothman

Quote from: I-55 on March 07, 2021, 12:59:02 AM
My first time driving in WV was on I-68 east of Morgantown, where I averaged about 80 on the hills in a loaded minivan. This was also my first time driving on anything steep enough to require a climbing lane. There wasn't much traffic and all I was focused on was getting up and down the hills, where my speed fluctuated 65-85 mph, usually on the high end. I think most people will drive at the speed most comfortable to them in the terrain regardless of what the speed limit sign may read. And unless traffic is ultra light, speed can rapidly speed up and slow down on 64.
Friendsville, MD used to have a nasty speed trap on I-68.  Right at the bottom of a "ravine."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on March 07, 2021, 10:37:11 AM
Friendsville, MD used to have a nasty speed trap on I-68.  Right at the bottom of a "ravine."

First and only time I ever saw cops with their doors open, leaning out with radar guns shooting traffic, was on that road going east into Cumberland down that long hill back when it was just US 40/48.

famartin

Quote from: hbelkins on March 07, 2021, 10:08:05 PM

First and only time I ever saw cops with their doors open, leaning out with radar guns shooting traffic, was on that road going east into Cumberland down that long hill back when it was just US 40/48.

Somewhat unrelated to the general article, but I actually saw that in Loudoun County VA a few months ago.

sprjus4

Quote from: famartin on March 07, 2021, 11:28:07 PM

Somewhat unrelated to the general article, but I actually saw that in Loudoun County VA a few months ago.
I've even that in at least two occasions passing through Emporia, VA on US-58 where the speed limit is only 60 mph.

MASTERNC

They love the hill by Rocky Gap now

Avalanchez71

Quote from: SP Cook on April 05, 2018, 01:54:59 PM
The Turnpike board met this morning to outline the WV Turnpike toll hikes ostensibly to pay part of Gov. Justice's "roads to prosperty" borrowing program.  Legally public hearings have to be held, but, of course, nothing said there is considered.  Final approval will be in June, apparently to go into effect in January.  The news story I got had some gaps in it.

Standard car cash tolls will double from $2 to $4 per booth and from .40 to .80 for the US 19/Corridor L connector (this is the only ramp that is tolled, unlike most other toll roads the turnpike ended "side tolls" decades ago at legislative direction).  This means a round trip for the whole road will $24 and those using the Corridor L to I-77 system (the direct way from Toronto, Buffalo, Pittsburgh to Florida) round trip would be $9.60. 

It is not clear from the article if other rates are also doubling, but I assume they are.  Currently an RV is $2.50 booth and .80 for the ramp, and 18 wheeler is $6.75 and $1.60.

This is very much a "soak the strangers" program, as two discounts will be offered.  The current discount for using a WV EZ pass transponder (other authorities' ones do not get it) cuts the current tolls to 1.30/booth and .26 for the ramp.  The article is not clear but these appear to double to 2.60 and . 52. 

But here is the big discount.  Prior to January 1, 2019 anyone (even non-residents) can buy a EZ Pass based yearly pass for special discount price $24 for three years, after which it will be $25/year.  You have the option of depositing additional funds on the account to make it be a standard EZ Pass out of state. 

At $24 for three years, and even thereafter for the standard $25/year, anyone who even passes through the state once or twice a year would be crazy to not get a pass.

Time to shunpike.

seicer

...you can't for much of its length, but good luck at that.

Buck87

I did the parallel backroads bypass of the middle WV turnpike toll booth once, since someone posted about it on here. It was neat to do it once, but I probably won't ever do it again (the extra time and hilly/windy nature of the road wasn't worth the money saved IMO)

hbelkins

Quote from: Buck87 on March 10, 2021, 10:00:01 AM
I did the parallel backroads bypass of the middle WV turnpike toll booth once, since someone posted about it on here. It was neat to do it once, but I probably won't ever do it again (the extra time and hilly/windy nature of the road wasn't worth the money saved IMO)

I drove the entire length of the parallel roads between Cabin Creek and Beckley once, just for fun. The middle portion of the route is indeed narrow and curvy, but the actual bypasses of the two toll plazas aren't too bad. Some improvements have been made to the portion between Mossy and Pax, probably because so many vehicles do use it as a bypass., I think there are truck prohibitions posted.

Quote from: seicer on March 09, 2021, 03:25:32 PM
...you can't for much of its length, but good luck at that.

Actually, it's not that hard to do. If you're going south, exit at Chelyan and use either WV 61, or US 60 and WV 16, to connect with US 19 in Fayetteville or Oak Hill. And with the addition of the East Beckley Bypass, it's easier than ever to bypass the toll ramp where Corridor L meets the turnpike.

sprjus4

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 21, 2019, 01:01:22 AM
Speed limit to be lowered on Interstate 77 by the end of April from 70 MPH to 60 MPH permanently between MM 20 and MM 27.

https://www.bdtonline.com/news/changes-arriving-on-i--more-patrols-lower-speed-limit/article_9fbbafd8-5fea-11e9-bac9-4b5e5937bf56.html
And two years later, common sense has prevailed, and it's going right back to 70 mph.

Speed limit change to I-77 in Mercer County
QuoteMERCER COUNTY, W.v. (WVVA) -- Drivers may have noticed some recent changes along the West Virginia turnpike.

Between mile marker 20 and 28, between Campcreek and Flattop, the speed limit has been changed from 60 miles per hour to 70. The limit was originally reduced to 60 due to the high number of accidents along that stretch of road.

With the help of three positive speed studies and the addition of new safety equipment, like new guard rails and lighted chevron signs, the West Virginia highway authorities have deemed it safe to raise the limit.

"The studies essentially said that 85% of motorists would typically drive between 70 and 74 miles, regardless of what the posted speed limit is," said Jeff Miller, the parkway authorities executive director."Whether it's 60 or whether it's 70. So within that positive report, we determined that often times a motorist that may be adhering to that speed limit, when everyone else is driving a higher rate of speed around them, that it would actually be in our best interest."

The D.O.H. will make adjustments as they see necessary, but Miller says that the new speed change is permanent for the time being.

VTGoose

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 09, 2021, 07:50:35 AM

the new speed change is permanent for the time being.

Nice way to leave an out for future speed changes -- "for the time being" pretty much negates "permanent" in that sentence.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

seicer

Based on recent drives, the downhill segment on that steep grade isn't that much different than Interstate 64 at Sandstone Mountain where the speed limit is 70 MPH with a truck speed limit of 45 MPH. The Turnpike at Flattop carries more traffic but it's not that much different of a design that would warrant a sharp reduction in the speed limit.

Also - 60 MPH going uphill is very much different than 60 MPH downhill. I was cruising uphill at 75 MPH and was being lapped; downhill, not so much.

sprjus4

Unbelievable! DOH must lower Camp Creek speed limit
QuoteJust when you thought it was safe to travel on the West Virginia Turnpike again, the safety of motorists is now threatened by an asinine decision to increase the speed limit along a notoriously dangerous eight-mile stretch of the toll road in Mercer County.

With no advance warning to the public or the press, the state Department of Transportation inexplicably moved last week to increase the speed limit to 70 mph at Camp Creek. And the West Virginia Parkways Authority, the agency charged with overseeing the 88-mile turnpike, is apparently OK with this dangerous decision.

Unbelievable!

This is the same section of I-77 at Camp Creek where 12 lives were lost between 2016 and 2018, including four members of the Gilley family from North Carolina. Of those 12 total fatalities, nine involved tractor-trailers in that area, where a steep hill and sharp curve make travel particularly treacherous.

But even before 2016, this menacing stretch of the turnpike was a common location for crashes, many of which have been fatal over the years.

Common sense dictates that motorists should slow down and drive with extreme caution at Camp Creek.

That's why the Daily Telegraph, and the Gilley family, fought so hard two years ago to get the speed limit lowered at Camp Creek, along with the implementation of other safety measures in the area. In addition to having the speed limit lowered to 60 mph, new guardrails were erected in the median and two flashing chevron warning lights were installed at the top of the steep hill and in the middle near the curve to warn motorists of the dangers ahead.

But now, without any regard to public safety or consideration for the families of those who have lost loved ones at Camp Creek, the state has inexplicably opted to raise the speed limit at Camp Creek back to 70 mph.

This unconscionable decision is a direct affront to common sense and a threat to the safety of motorists traveling on I-77.

It's a move that simply defies logic.

Equally disappointing is the fact that no one from the Parkways Authority board is protesting this move, including local authority members Mike Vinciguerra of Bluefield and Bill Seaver of Princeton.

Have Vinciguerra and Seaver already forgotten about all of the lives that have been lost on I-77 at Camp Creek over the years?

We demand the Department of Transportation to take immediate steps to reverse this horrific decision.

Lower the speed limit at Camp Creek back down to 60 mph before more lives are lost.

No more debate. No more studies. Just lower the speed.
But wasn't the reason they chose to increase it back to 70 mph because the artificial 60 mph limit was being blatantly ignored, and merely caused more of a hazard?

Backwards logic by people who think just "lowering the speed limit" will fix all the problems.

SP Cook

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 19, 2021, 10:47:15 AM

Backwards logic by people who think just "lowering the speed limit" will fix all the problems.

Of course.  Science teaches us the opposite.

One thing to remember is that the Turnpike has its own F-Troop of failed cops.  Most either have dark pasts that the lawyers all know about, and thus are put on random tax duty full time, so they never have to go to court or are simply screw ups the regular troopers don't want around.   They keep advocating for lower SLs to justify their existence.

However, IMHO, the SL increase was due to the retirement of the copwannabe Turnpike director and his replacement with a man with an engineering background.

hbelkins

My recollection is that the mountain and curve in question are very adequately posted with warning/advisory signs. Anyone who ignores all that signage isn't going to pay attention to speed limit signage.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 19, 2021, 10:47:15 AM
Unbelievable! DOH must lower Camp Creek speed limit
QuoteJust when you thought it was safe to travel on the West Virginia Turnpike again, the safety of motorists is now threatened by an asinine decision to increase the speed limit along a notoriously dangerous eight-mile stretch of the toll road in Mercer County.

With no advance warning to the public or the press, the state Department of Transportation inexplicably moved last week to increase the speed limit to 70 mph at Camp Creek. And the West Virginia Parkways Authority, the agency charged with overseeing the 88-mile turnpike, is apparently OK with this dangerous decision.

Unbelievable!

It figures.  The folks at the bottom of the mountain are still complaining about what the folks at the top of mountain do.   

seicer

I drove much of WV Route 10 between WV Route 16 near Mullens and US Route 19 near Princeton - a distance of around 26 miles, and it's smooth as glass after a much needed rehabilitation. It appears that the roadway surface was either repaved or rebuilt and all of the bridges have been extensively renovated as part of a Governor Justice Roads to Prosperity project.

Bitmapped

Quote from: seicer on April 27, 2021, 04:51:03 PM
I drove much of WV Route 10 between WV Route 16 near Mullens and US Route 19 near Princeton - a distance of around 26 miles, and it's smooth as glass after a much needed rehabilitation. It appears that the roadway surface was either repaved or rebuilt and all of the bridges have been extensively renovated as part of a Governor Justice Roads to Prosperity project.

They excavated the existing gravel shoulders, replaced them with concrete, then repaved to widen the lanes and provide a narrow paved shoulder.

VTGoose

Monday was "bridge moving day" when the Wellsburg Bridge was floated from its construction site down the river to its actual location across the Ohio. See https://www.wtrf.com/brooke-county/watch-live-the-flotation-of-the-wellsburg-bridge/

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

ARMOURERERIC

Just had it hit my news feed that WVDot has awarded the 6 laning of I79 MP132-135.

cpzilliacus

According to Wikipedia, WV-20 is the longest state road in West Virginia.  It runs from Mercer County in the south to Wetzel County in the north.

I decided to drive some of the road that I had not been on in the past, from Buckhannon to French Creek (which I drove to visit our late friend Robert) and then onto a section I had not seen before - south to Webster Springs and then more-or-less west in the direction of U.S. 19 at Summersville (Google maps here).

I cannot recall being on a more curvy segment of road in the United States - especially for a road that is considered a primary state highway - between Rock Cave (junction WV-4) and Craigsville (where WV-20 turns
south and the wandering WV-55 takes over to continue to the west). 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.