News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Locally Maintained Limited Access Roads

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 12, 2019, 02:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

On the Pacific Southwest board the topic of locally maintained freeways came up regarding Clark County Route 215.  It had me curious what other examples of limited access facilities are out there that aren't maintained by a State DOT.  By local I mean an agency that is County, City, Corporate, some kind of park or anything else that might meet the somewhat loose criteria so long as it isn't a State DOT. 

US 89

A few off the top of my head:

Pena Blvd in Denver
Gilcrease and LL Tisdale in Tulsa
(Formerly) Summerlin Parkway in Vegas
The Disney World freeway system

I feel like we’ve had a thread on this.

Max Rockatansky

Perhaps, I didn't find an old thread but then again I'm searching from my phone.  One obscure freeway that probably wouldn't be mentioned is small portion of Grand Loop Road in Yellowstone National Park near Old Faithful.  There is a fully limited access interchange to the Old Faithful Visitor Center that to my knowledge is the only Park Service road that could be considered a full freeway configuration. 

froggie

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: froggie on May 12, 2019, 03:23:25 PM
Here's the thread from last summer.

Well crap, hopefully a mod sees this and can merge the thread.  I'll message one of it doesn't get picked up by tonight. 

Joe The Dragon

Palatine Road I think it's under cook county control

JoePCool14

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on May 12, 2019, 08:09:02 PM

False, Palatine (as is most of Willow) Road is under IDOT's jurisdiction, both the express and local lanes. I noticed they are finally resurfacing the road this year, something it has sorely needed for a while now.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

roadman65

Burlington Street in Hamilton, ON.

Yes its dejavu as this is another thread of the past as pointed out above.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sparker

Until a few years ago, the Terminal Island Freeway (CA 103) north of Pacific Coast Highway/CA 1 was maintained by the Port of Los Angeles; prior to its "grandfathering" into the state network after '64, the remainder of the facility was as well, including the part occupied by CA 47.   

sprjus4

Chesapeake Expressway (VA-168) and Dominion Blvd (US-17), both in Chesapeake, Virginia.

RobbieL2415

I mean, every limited-access highway in NYC is maintained by NYCDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 14, 2019, 10:28:36 PM
Maintained, but actual capital projects on state-owned highways in NYC are let by NYSDOT.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on May 14, 2019, 11:03:18 PM

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 14, 2019, 10:28:36 PM

Maintained, but actual capital projects on state-owned highways in NYC are let by NYSDOT.

That may be, but the thread topic specifically says "locally maintained".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bing101

Oak Grove Drive in Pasadena and La Cinega Blvd has a freeway section but is locally maintained.

Here is the rest of the list in Southern California of unsigned freeways.

https://socalregion.com/highways/socal_unsigned/

Max Rockatansky

Part of Pacific Highway (former US 101) in San Diego is a full freeway grade near San Diego International Airport. 

Mark68

The (short) freeway stub of 6th Ave between I-25 & Kalamath St in Denver.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Mark68

Also, Kearny Villa Rd near MCAS Miramar (former US 395).
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

TEG24601

Would the Skyway count?

I know that the Sea-Tac Airport Expressway is maintained by Port of Seattle.

Spokane Street Viaduct/West Seattle Freeway/Bridge is maintained by the City of Seattle.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

rickmastfan67

Gardiner Expressway (which now includes a small segment that was part of the original QEW that was added to it after the 1997 download), Don Valley Parkway, & Allen Road in Toronto, Ontario.

Mergingtraffic

A portion of I-83 in Baltimore is locally maintained which is why relics like this still exist:

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Revive 755

* Forest Park Parkway in Clayton, MO, has a freeway section maintained by St. Louis County.  Google aerial of the freeway sectionStreetview EB near I-170.  Further east there's a freeway section maintained by St. Louis City, although it's a little shorter than it used to be  since an at grade intersection was placed at Kingshighway.

* IIRC, what is now I-170 through the Clayton/Richmond Heights area was at least built by St. Louis County and probably maintained by them for a bit as well.

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 12, 2019, 08:51:30 PM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on May 12, 2019, 08:09:02 PM

False, Palatine (as is most of Willow) Road is under IDOT's jurisdiction, both the express and local lanes. I noticed they are finally resurfacing the road this year, something it has sorely needed for a while now.

At one time it may have been under Cook County Maintenance - IIRC Cook County originally built some of the freeway sections.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 16, 2019, 06:23:34 PM
Gardiner Expressway (which now includes a small segment that was part of the original QEW that was added to it after the 1997 download), Don Valley Parkway, & Allen Road in Toronto, Ontario.

Keeping with the Ontario theme; Lincoln M. Alexander Parkway and Red Hills Valley Parkway are maintained by the City of Hamilton.

US 89

Not sure if you can fully count it as a freeway (especially given its speed limit of 35 mph), but Sunport Boulevard in Albuquerque does have a diamond interchange at University Blvd.

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summerlin_Parkway

Summerlin Parkway was recently renamed as NV-613 given that the Nevada DOT taken over jurisdiction of the road.

Mccojm

Here on Long Island there's Suffolk county road 97 Nichols rd maintained obviously by Suffolk county dpw. There's also bay pkwy in Nassau co Maintained by NYS parks dept.  there's other examples but they're are t limited access but rather just at grade arterial roads

There's also jfk expressway maintained by PANYNJ so it is not listed in NYSDOT roadway inventory.
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.