News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Unpaved dual carriageways?

Started by Kniwt, June 26, 2019, 08:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

I'm tempted to ask the question after seeing this near Walla Walla, Washington: Is there anywhere that has an official divided highway of non-trivial length that isn't paved? I suspect it would be tough to find one in the continental U.S., but maybe somewhere else?

In the photo, Rye Grass Road appears to be dual gravel paths, and an aerial view shows that they run in parallel for a while ... but the right-side path actually leads to a residence, while the left-side path continues ahead. So it doesn't count.

(Way back in the 1970s, I remember being in the car near Fort Lauderdale, where University Drive was still incomplete. There was a section of about two miles of dual carriageway that was fully graded but not paved, and I recall being on it many times, although I don't know whether it was officially open. Probably not.)

froggie

^ How long of a road stretch are you defining?  I ask because I've seen the occasional unpaved road that went divided underneath an overpass due to bridge piers in the median.

Max Rockatansky

Sometimes Bodie Road is divided east of the terminus of CA 270 so traffic stays on their side of the roadway.  Essentially Bodie Road is the only practical way for a normal vehicle to reach Bodie State Historic Park.  As of my last visit the state park service put in an earthen divider in the middle of Bodie Road which by estimate 1-1.5 miles in length.   

tallfull

Mount Vernon Blvd. in Royal Oak, MI is a 1/2 mile long unpaved, suburban street that has a grass- and tree-filled median down its entire 2 1/2 block length. Ironically, it has paved sidewalks, and all of the many driveways off of it are paved.

Kniwt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 26, 2019, 01:19:13 PM
As of my last visit the state park service put in an earthen divider in the middle of Bodie Road which by estimate 1-1.5 miles in length.   

Interesting; I haven't been there for many years. If ever there were an unpaved road with a sufficiently high AADT to justify such improvements (or more), Bodie Road certainly is one.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Kniwt on June 27, 2019, 12:48:52 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 26, 2019, 01:19:13 PM
As of my last visit the state park service put in an earthen divider in the middle of Bodie Road which by estimate 1-1.5 miles in length.   

Interesting; I haven't been there for many years. If ever there were an unpaved road with a sufficiently high AADT to justify such improvements (or more), Bodie Road certainly is one.

I'm hoping for a return visit next month so I'll have an update on what the State Park is doing.  From what I observed most year it looks like Bodie State Historic Park has a grading machine that they regularly use to smooth out the washboarding.  Suffice to say the road looks a little different every year. 

ftballfan

Quote from: tallfull on June 26, 2019, 05:01:20 PM
Mount Vernon Blvd. in Royal Oak, MI is a 1/2 mile long unpaved, suburban street that has a grass- and tree-filled median down its entire 2 1/2 block length. Ironically, it has paved sidewalks, and all of the many driveways off of it are paved.
Wonder if it was paved at one point and then reverted to unpaved at some point

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Kniwt on June 26, 2019, 08:38:25 AM
I'm tempted to ask the question after seeing this near Walla Walla, Washington: Is there anywhere that has an official divided highway of non-trivial length that isn't paved? I suspect it would be tough to find one in the continental U.S., but maybe somewhere else?

In the photo, Rye Grass Road appears to be dual gravel paths, and an aerial view shows that they run in parallel for a while ... but the right-side path actually leads to a residence, while the left-side path continues ahead. So it doesn't count.

(Way back in the 1970s, I remember being in the car near Fort Lauderdale, where University Drive was still incomplete. There was a section of about two miles of dual carriageway that was fully graded but not paved, and I recall being on it many times, although I don't know whether it was officially open. Probably not.)

I thought University Dr was older than that.  Where did I he build up end back then?   

D-Dey65

I still remember there being a few off of US 301 north of Florida State Road 50 and Ridge Manor.

Verlanka

Quote from: ftballfan on June 30, 2019, 11:49:28 PM
Quote from: tallfull on June 26, 2019, 05:01:20 PM
Wonder if it was paved at one point and then reverted to unpaved at some point
Maybe they tore up the pavement and forgot to place it back.

Rothman

This is really bugging me since I know I've seen this before and can't remember exactly where (somewhere in VA).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.