News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Animated map illustrating how 3-digit US routes were intended to be numbered

Started by usends, July 12, 2019, 07:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

froggie

Too fast of a rate.  Feels too jumpy.

I realize this would require some coding skill, but the optimum path would be an interactive, scalable map instead of animation.

MNHighwayMan

Rate seems fine to me. What I don't like is how it goes back east after going west. Just have it loop to the beginning once it reaches the west end.

Historic 330 is still mostly there as Illinois 38 which follows 88. I have a map where there was a toll 30.

mrsman

Quote from: 3467 on July 13, 2019, 08:37:48 PM
Historic 330 is still mostly there as Illinois 38 which follows 88. I have a map where there was a toll 30.

Historic in the sense that it is no longer signed as US 330.  I'm sure all the historic roads mentioned are still drivable roadways, they are just no longer US x30 highways.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

RoadMaster09

Of the x30's, I believe US 830 should be resurrected as it is a valuable alternative and could be made to go through two states. US 30S goes through three states as well, but could be US 32 easily as that number has no historic value (being replaced by US 6). Former US 30 Alternate is also a useful route, replacing NE 92 and IA 92. US 230 could be re-purposed there (if it doesn't conflict with state highways).

If upgraded to an Interstate, US 30 in western Ohio can return to its old route, while US 330 would become useful by running into Indiana (with IN 49 the best return route). Former 230, 430, 530 and 630 serve no purpose that wouldn't be accommodated by a state highway (too short or single state route) and were rightfully decommissioned.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: mrsman on July 14, 2019, 10:52:04 AM
Quote from: 3467 on July 13, 2019, 08:37:48 PM

Historic in the sense that it is no longer signed as US 330.  I'm sure all the historic roads mentioned are still drivable roadways, they are just no longer US x30 highways.

US 330 was Alt. US 30 between 1942 and 1972, after which it became IL 38. 

Toll US 30 was the East-West (now Reagan) Tollway, which later became IL 190 (1960s), IL 5 (1972) and I-88 (since 1990).
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.