News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most egregious local shortcuts

Started by NoGoodNamesAvailable, July 16, 2019, 05:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoGoodNamesAvailable

What are some of the worst shortcuts and cut-throughs that drivers in your local area take to save a few seconds or to avoid traffic jams? I'm especially thinking of roads that are inadequately designed to handle the volume of shortcutting traffic, roads on private property that are frequently used by thru traffic, and roads with turn restrictions that are frequently violated by drivers.

I got to thinking of this topic when I saw this commercial driveway in Fort Lee NJ. The driveway is a private road and is signed "not a through street" but makes a convenient shortcut from 46 onto local streets, and comes in the middle of a large gap between exits. When the GWB approach is congested there is always a very heavy volume of cars that use the driveway to bail out onto local streets.

Rothman

Williston, ND during the boom had crappy dirt roads trucks would use to get around traffic before the highways were improved.  Followed them myself when I visited the area.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

I used Bear Road a lot through Orlando International Airport to get between Conway Road and Semoran Boulevard when rush hour would clog the connecting surface streets.  Bear Road was also a handy way to avoid the toll booth at OIA on FL 528.   

Rick1962

Just west of the intersection of 61st & Memorial in Tulsa is this commercial drive that sees a lot of traffic using it to bypass the WB 61st to SB Memorial traffic signal. Why, you ask? Well, a couple of years ago the city rebuilt the intersection, installing new traffic signals as part of the "improvement". In typical Tulsa fashion, the city replaced the protected/permitted left turn signals with protected-only, and futzed with the timing, so only five or six cars get through on the light. As a result, there is typically a significant queue waiting to turn left, backed up far beyond the left turn pocket.

SM-T580

kphoger

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on July 16, 2019, 05:51:03 PM
I got to thinking of this topic when I saw this commercial driveway in Fort Lee NJ. The driveway is a private road and is signed "not a through street" but makes a convenient shortcut from 46 onto local streets, and comes in the middle of a large gap between exits. When the GWB approach is congested there is always a very heavy volume of cars that use the driveway to bail out onto local streets.

– Not a through street.

– Bull.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Sctvhound

We used to have a couple roads which were cut throughs. Stocker Drive used to be a cut through from Savannah Hwy (US 17) to Folly Rd (SC 171) in Charleston. About 20 years ago people in the neighborhood (South Windermere) were angry about the heavy traffic and eventually access was cut off to Folly Rd.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.