News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: CanesFan27 on August 24, 2017, 08:26:23 PMNC 140 is going to be moved to the stretch of freeway running east from I-40 exit 416 to US 17 once the remainder of I-140 opens between US 421 and US 74/76.

I suspect that's temporary until NCDOT applies to AASHTO and FHWA for that section to become I-140. Seems odd to keep NC-140 permanent, otherwise. :hmm:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Roadsguy

Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

CanesFan27

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 07, 2017, 10:18:14 PM
Are changes coming to how the NC Turnpike Authority collects tolls? 

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2017/07/are-changes-coming-to-triangle.html

Follow up on this:
. Well the news is that the ez pass compatible transponders have been reduced to $7.40.  The TXTag compatible transponder  (sticker) is now free.

https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/home/index.shtmlqq

NJRoadfan

The hard case transponders appear to have official E-ZPass branding now. Wonder what spurred that change?

orulz

Your post made me realize that NC Quick Pass will become interoperable with TxTag in early 2018. Texas already has an agreement in place with Oklahoma and looks like they may be  even getting South Carolina in 2018. NC has been the most aggressive state in pursuing interoperability so hopefully we get OK and SO soon too.

NJRoadfan

South Carolina's toll roads use Mark IV transponders like E-ZPass does. Its surprising that it isn't already inter operable with E-ZPass already.

LM117

CanesFan27

WashuOtaku

Quote from: CanesFan27 on September 07, 2017, 07:43:26 PM
Swain County gets $4 million in partial fulfillment of Fontana settlement

https://mountainx.com/blogwire/swain-gets-4-million-in-partial-fulfillment-of-fontana-settlement/

Well, that is something... they should build a road.   :sombrero:

CanesFan27

Quote from: orulz on September 06, 2017, 05:35:54 PM
Your post made me realize that NC Quick Pass will become interoperable with TxTag in early 2018. Texas already has an agreement in place with Oklahoma and looks like they may be  even getting South Carolina in 2018. NC has been the most aggressive state in pursuing interoperability so hopefully we get OK and SO soon too.

We're going to get the free Florida and soon to be Texas compatible sticker.  With it being free - it's worth doing and we typically go to Florida every other year and now that the boys are starting to get older, we want to get back to Texas again.

mvak36

Update on I-140 project: https://www.wwaytv3.com/2017/09/13/ncdot-gives-update-on-wilmington-bypass-i-140-project/

According to the article, it's scheduled to open in December 2017.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

The Ghostbuster

I assume the North Carolina 140 segment will be resigned Interstate 140 at that time.

LM117

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 14, 2017, 04:23:15 PM
I assume the North Carolina 140 segment will be resigned Interstate 140 at that time.
It's a safe bet. That section has already been approved by AASHTO & FHWA, I think.

LM117

The completion date for the Greenville Southwest Bypass (NC-11) has been pushed back to June 2020.

http://www.reflector.com/News/2017/09/23/County-planners-looking-to-future-of-Southwest-Bypass.html

QuotePitt County officials working this week on a land-use plan to guide development along the U.S. 264 Southwest Bypass corridor learned that the state has pushed back the project's estimated completion date by a year.

Senior Planner Eric Gooby said he discovered the new date when checking the state Department of Transportation website. He shared the news with the Pitt County Planning Board on Wednesday during a meeting on a corridor land use plan for property along the 12.6-mile highway which extends from U.S. 264 Bypass at Statonsburg Road to N.C. 11 two miles south of Ayden.

Officials announced the project would be complete in June of 2019 when a ceremonial groundbreaking was held in November. A check of the project website in early spring still showed the completion date was in 2019.

Gooby said construction started September 2016 and "the newest expected completion date is mid-2020, June 2020. The original (completion date) was mid-2019 but it has been pushed back several months."

Brian Rick, communications officer for NCDOT Divisions II and III, confirmed the change in a phone interview on Thursday. He said additional time is needed because a portion of the project was redesigned to address local concerns about the alignment of Davenport Farm Road.

Davenport Farm Road is being realigned so it intersects with U.S. 13/Dickinson Avenue Extension across from Bell Arthur Road, Rick said.

"This alignment takes Davenport Farm Road over the new bypass so a bridge had to be built,"  Rick said. The changes were made before the final design plans were completed, he said.

Along with the new plans for Davenport Farm Road, 10 days also were added because of problems related to Hurricane Matthew, Rick said.

Rick said the public was informed about the changes when the department updated the information on its website. He did not say when the website was update or if additional efforts were made to update stakeholders on the progress.

The land-use plan is a cooperative effort between Pitt County, Greenville, Ayden, Winterville, the Greenville Urban Area MPO and state transportation department, Gooby said during his presentation to the board.

"Because of the number of interchanges being proposed (along the corridor) we anticipate there is going to be growth around those interchanges,"  Gooby said. "It's to help manage and guide the development that occurs along that corridor, especially those interchanges."

The five interchanges will be located at Statonsburg Road, US 13/Dickinson Avenue, Forlines Road, N.C. 102 and N.C. 11 South.

The plan will focus mainly on development along the interchanges at U.S. 13/Dickinson Avenue and Forlines Road; a 17-square-mile area along 7.5 miles of the bypass.

Gooby said work on the plan will begin in October and should be completed in 10-12 months.

Earlier this year, the county planning department sought out a consultant to work on the project. Three firms applied, and the planning department selected Stewart Inc., an engineering firm with offices in Raleigh, Durham and Charlotte.

A steering committee is being created to guide the firm's work, Gooby said.

The committee will be divided into two groups, a technical or staff group consisting of employees of the county, the three municipalities and NCDOT. The staff group will look at details of the document, Gooby said. This group is expected to hold six meetings during the process, Gooby said.

The second body is a study oversight group which will consist of planning board members from the county and the three municipalities along with representatives from other agencies, he said. This group will hold three to four meetings.

Gooby asked the planning board to select a member to serve with the oversight group. The unanimous choice, at the recommendation of board chairman Johnny Pinner, were Faye Barefoot and Ricky Hines.

The project's next step will be a pre-planning process along with an inventory of the land, existing conditions along the corridor. This work will take place between October and December. January through March will be the plan development phase.

The draft and final plan should be completed and presented to the Pitt County Board of Commissioners in late spring-summer for adoption.

Meetings for the community to review and comment on the project are tentatively scheduled for February and June, Gooby said.

LM117

A lawsuit has been filed against the city of Greenville and the Pitt County Board of Education over the soon-to-be activated red light cameras.

http://www.witn.com/content/news/Greenville-school-board-sued-over-upcoming-red-light-camera-448536223.html

QuoteA Greenville man wants to put the brakes on the city's plan to install red light cameras at five intersections.

William Kozel filed a lawsuit on Tuesday against the city and the Pitt County Board of Education, claiming the program is unconstitutional.

The city plans to start issuing warning tickets to drivers on October 15th. The intersections are Charles Boulevard and 14th Street. Charles Boulevard and Fire Tower Road, Arlington Boulevard and Fire Tower Road, Arlington Boulevard and Greenville Boulevard, and Arlington Boulevard and South Memorial Drive.

Lawyers for Kozel claim that since 90% of gross proceeds of all "civil penalties, forfeitures and fines" must go to local school boards, the Greenville red light program is set up so that the schools would not get their mandatory share.

Lawyer Paul Stam of Apex also claims while justification for the program is that it promotes traffic safety by reducing crashes, the State Constitution prohibits lawmakers from passing local acts "relating to health".

Another claim is that yellow lights at the intersection are too short and that a majority of people getting the tickets will actually be innocent.

Stam is asking a judge for preliminary and permanent injunctions blocking the red light camera program in Greenville.

The city isn't commenting on the lawsuit yet because they haven't been served with the actual paperwork.

LM117

NCDOT has awarded a contract to make improvements to a stretch of US-301 in Wilson. Work to begin after March 15 of next year.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14422

QuoteWork on improving safety and pedestrian access on a venerable section of U.S. 301 in Wilson County will start next spring.

The facelift to Ward Boulevard (U.S. 301) between Black Creek Road South and Lipscomb Road East is a jointly funded effort by the N.C. Department of Transportation and the City of Wilson. The project will add a sidewalk on one side and a 10-foot multi-use path on the other along the 1.35-mile segment of the boulevard. Additionally, the outside lanes will be widened to accommodate bicyclists.

The enhancements also will include new crosswalks with pedestrian signals at key intersections, as well as the extension or addition of turn lanes to improve traffic flow and safety. The small strip of grass that now divides the roadway will be raised with new concrete curbs and gutters, and the road's storm-drainage system will be upgraded.

Ward Boulevard is mostly residential and has worn paths on either side where people walk.

"U.S. 301 has been a major thoroughfare in Wilson for decades,"  Wilson Mayor Bruce Rose said. "With the upgrades planned, 301 will be safer and more accessible for walking, biking and driving."

NCDOT recently has awarded a $13.6 million contract to S.T. Wooten Corp. of Wilson, which can begin work after March 15. Some additional utility lines must be relocated before work can begin. The project is scheduled to be completed in early 2020.

Additionally, the project will improve three of Ward Boulevard's intersecting streets by adding sidewalks totaling more than a mile along portions of Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway, Lipscomb Road East and Herring Avenue.

In 2015, the City of Wilson won a $10 million grant from the Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) program to improve the corridor, which once was part of the old Interstate 95. The federal pot of money is highly competitive.

The city then added $2 million of its coffers toward engineering, design and right-of-way costs, and the state Board of Transportation last year chipped in $6.5 million.

LM117

Update on the East End Connector in Durham.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14442

QuoteWork on the East End Connector project will require the long-term closure of East End Avenue at U.S. 70, starting Tuesday night, Oct. 10. The closure is scheduled to remain in place until the fall of 2019 as a new road alignment goes into place that will tie into a roundabout that is part of the project.

Following the closure, repairs to Rowena Avenue, which intersects with East End Avenue and has been used by contractor trucks, will begin. The closure will help alleviate that construction traffic, and will expedite the resurfacing of Rowena Avenue, which is expected in spring 2018.

During the closure, traffic will be detoured onto Angier Avenue and Pleasant Drive to link East End Avenue and U.S. 70.

The East End Connector is a 3.9-mile interstate that will link U.S. 70 to the Durham Freeway, with U.S. 70 being upgraded to a freeway between Pleasant Drive and N.C. 98/Holloway Street.

It will create a multi-lane connection between I-85, the Durham Freeway and I-40 on the east side of Durham. It is expected to help alleviate congestion on the Durham Freeway through downtown Durham, and divert traffic off local roads such as U.S. 15/501, as well as Roxboro, Mangum, Gregson and Duke Streets.

Scheduled to be completed in 2019, the new highway is expected to add the Interstate 885 route designation.

ARMOURERERIC

There will be a public hearing next Monday night in Morganton to discuss improvements to I-40, exit 103 for US 64.  I would call this as currently the worst traffic mess in the area.  The East half of the bridge over 40 is original from the late 1950's.  A large amount of the traffic approaching the interchange want to go left.  Way more capacity is needed for US 64 WB going left to 40 EB due to the nearby community college and the huge shipping facility on  Fleming Dr.  I could almost see a diverging down and or SPUI needed here.  They are contemplating business demolition and access control on 64.

Strider

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 11, 2017, 08:24:22 AM
There will be a public hearing next Monday night in Morganton to discuss improvements to I-40, exit 103 for US 64.  I would call this as currently the worst traffic mess in the area.  The East half of the bridge over 40 is original from the late 1950's.  A large amount of the traffic approaching the interchange want to go left.  Way more capacity is needed for US 64 WB going left to 40 EB due to the nearby community college and the huge shipping facility on  Fleming Dr.  I could almost see a diverging down and or SPUI needed here.  They are contemplating business demolition and access control on 64.

About time! I remembered I used to live in Morganton for 4 years and the traffic in that area was the worst! I wonder what took them so long to get around it...

ARMOURERERIC

When did you leave Morganton?  I ask to see if you knew about the huge retail complex that opened on the south side of Fleming just west of Burkemont.  That and the growth of Western Piedmont CC are what's killing this interchange most of the day.

I saw the study limits for US 64, Burkemont Ave., and I wish they do could extend the study area a half mile each direction, that  would cover the whole corroded area in need of fixing.

Strider

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 11, 2017, 03:48:33 PM
When did you leave Morganton?  I ask to see if you knew about the huge retail complex that opened on the south side of Fleming just west of Burkemont.  That and the growth of Western Piedmont CC are what's killing this interchange most of the day.

I saw the study limits for US 64, Burkemont Ave., and I wish they do could extend the study area a half mile each direction, that  would cover the whole corroded area in need of fixing.

I left Morganton in 2001. I lived there from 1997-2001 to attend a Deaf school there (high school). I haven't been there since then, but I drove past the interchange a couple of times in the past, heading to and from Asheville.

Do you have access to the study limits for US 64 in that area? I just wanted to see it.

ARMOURERERIC

Walker Road to Hopewell Road,  I advocate going from Salem to Fleming.  The intersection of Burkemont and Fleming is huge now and fails at peak times.  Also, check out Street views of the Enola and Sterling Street interchanges, NCDot redid them in the last 2 years, did a good lob.

The next 5 years could be big here:  making US 321 a super street from US 70 to Lenoir.  Widening I-40 from US 321 to I-77, with the section from US321 to exit 128 maybe being 8 lanes.

ARMOURERERIC

The area is growing with low unemployment.

HazMatt

I was through there a few months ago; it really did blow up!  There's a new shopping center on Fleming where what I think was a furniture plant (Henredon maybe).  Amazing how much the Unifour is growing, I thought it was all but dead when I moved away from Lenoir in 2011.

ARMOURERERIC

I moved from San Diego to the South Mountains Park area about 16 months ago.  12 year old premanufactured fixer on 5 acres for $45k, it took me 4 days to land a job in management, all me interviews asked me how much OT could I work.

I wish I could get some one to realign the NC18/Sugarloaf Rd/George Hildebrand Rd intersection and put a signal in.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.