News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: NYYPhil777 on August 26, 2012, 02:41:45 PM
:hmmm: I've looked at many I-22 corridor websites showing convincing support from many manufacturing companies wanting to establish themselves in Northwest Alabama near or at I-22, but how does Toyota have to do with it?

Toyota has a somewhat recently opened assembly plant in Blue Springs, Mississippi, along the US 78/ Future I-22 corridor.  As this article and TV video report indicate, Toyota partially made the decision to locate the plant in Blue Springs in reliance on a promise that MS 9 would receive a four-lane upgrade between US 78 (near the Blue Springs plant) and MS 6.  MDOT completed that project in a remarkably short period of time.

When I made the comment about Toyota, I was referring to the Blue Springs plant in Mississippi and my belief that Toyota would much prefer immediate I-22 signage, only recently allowed by MAP-21, over waiting for a physical tie-in to the current interstate system and continuation of US 78 signage for another two years.

edit - I'm not sure how long the above link will be "live", so I'm quoting part of the article to show the importance of highway projects in the minds of Mississippi officials in being able to attract large manufacturers like Toyota:

A promise is a promise.
State and local officials say they promised Toyota a new highway and they gave it to them ....
It was just over one year ago that officials were in Belden breaking ground on this project. Now, it's complete, under budget and well ahead of schedule ....
The design-build concept is not often used in Mississippi.
There needs to be a reason for it.
"Certainly, design-build has it's place and every situation is a little different. Its depends on the environmental situation for which you're trying to build a project. It depends on your time frame. If you're trying to accommodate a manufacturer like in this case," Northern District Highway Commissioner Mike Tagert said.
"We made a promise to Toyota that if they would believe in us and go ahead and move forward with the plan that we would make the commitment for Highway 9 and so people from all over the state helped us keep this promise. That means a lot the next time we go out recruiting," U.S. Senator Roger Wicker said.
"We told Toyota if they would come, we promised them we would upgrade this road and we're fulfilling that promise today," Governor Bryant said ....

With the above in mind, I think MDOT would move rapidly if Toyota made an express request for immediate I-22 signage.

NYYPhil777

Now I see what you mean.
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

codyg1985

I drove most of the length of future I-22 in Mississippi over the Labor Day weekend. I-22 in Mississippi is either to interstate standards with full-width paved shoulders, or is being upgraded to interstate standards. Current construction projects are for the substandard section in New Albany, which has just started, and for the substandard sections in Marshall County and DeSoto County. The Marshall/DeSoto project seems to be nearing completion, but some shoulder work still remains in areas, and a final layer of asphalt is needed in along a lot of the project.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

msunat97

Cody...thanks for the update.  It'll be nice when it's all done.

AUTiger7222

I am new here to this forum. Just come across it by looking for information on the I-22/65 interchange.

I live in Cullman, AL and don't make it to Birmingham very often. Last week I went through Birmingham for the first time since January and was absolutely amazed at the progress that had been made.

I didn't have the ability to stop and really look at it and possibly get pictures because I wasn't the one driving. I wish someone could get some update pictures. The latest pictures I've been able to find anywhere are from February.

I'm a little surprised that the target date is still October, 2014. I gotta think by the progress that's been made in a little less than a year that this program will be done around the beginning of 2014.

Alex

Quote from: AUTiger7222 on October 20, 2012, 12:15:56 PM
I am new here to this forum. Just come across it by looking for information on the I-22/65 interchange.

I live in Cullman, AL and don't make it to Birmingham very often. Last week I went through Birmingham for the first time since January and was absolutely amazed at the progress that had been made.

I didn't have the ability to stop and really look at it and possibly get pictures because I wasn't the one driving. I wish someone could get some update pictures. The latest pictures I've been able to find anywhere are from February.

I'm a little surprised that the target date is still October, 2014. I gotta think by the progress that's been made in a little less than a year that this program will be done around the beginning of 2014.

We checked it out this afternoon and shot photos from a few perspectives as part of the Birmingham road meet. Will try to get some photos posted once I get home. The October 2014 date is probably spot on, as not a lot had changed from when I saw it last November and today. Lots of earth moving still ongoing and only a portion of the girders are in place for the ramp from I-65 northbound to I-22 west. Some of these were installed last fall!

AUTiger7222

I went through there today and it seemed like a lot had happened since just last Friday last week. It's very exciting to me.

Alex

Some photos of construction of the new Interstate 22/65 interchange from Saturday's road meet:

Looking north from the 47th Avenue North overpass.

Girders in place for a new flyover by the 47th Avenue North curve at Lewisburg.

New northbound c/d roadway bridge of I-65 above Ellard Road and Fivemile Creek.

Looking east from the end of Lois Street at the graded carriageways and ramp stubs just west of Interstate 65.

msunat97

Thanks for the pictures.  I've been traveling that road for a few years.  It's a great drive & will be even better when it connects with 65.

AUTiger7222

Quote from: Alex on October 22, 2012, 09:47:20 AM

Looking north from the 47th Avenue North overpass.

Those girders on the flyover on the left are completely new since since a week ago from last Friday.

codyg1985

From when I went down there on Wednesday 10/17 to Saturday 10/20 they had placed more girders on that ramp.
Cody Goodman

Alex

Added a couple of the photos from Saturday taken along I-65 northbound to the main site:

Grzrd

codyg1985

^They are a bit ambitious about saying it will connect with I-40 and I-240 in Memphis.
Cody Goodman

RoadWarrior56

Maybe it will connect with I-40 and I-240 about the time my grandchildren are grown up.  Keep in mind that I don't yet have any grandchildren yet.

Bamaroadgeek

The ROW acquisition would be next to impossible, but would it not be more logical to extend I-22 past the I-65 interchange to 20/59? It could go in a southeasterly direction and end up on the southern/western edge of the airport.
Or, if you wanted to extend it towards Jacksonville, it could be multiplexed with I-65 through downtown to an interchange somewhere in Shelby County where it would break away and head southeast.

Grzrd

Quote from: Bamaroadgeek on October 31, 2012, 11:18:37 PM
The ROW acquisition would be next to impossible, but would it not be more logical to extend I-22 past the I-65 interchange to 20/59? It could go in a southeasterly direction and end up on the southern/western edge of the airport.

This April 15, 2012 article discusses, among other things, the above suggested routing.  Also, this upthread post contains an email reply from ALDOT about a possible study of that corridor that had been referenced in the article:

A report was never done... The impacts through the area were going through so many industrial sites that the project did not get very far along before it was dropped.

AUTiger7222

Does anyone have the plans for what this will look like when it's completed? I sure would love to look to know what it will look like when it's finished.

hbelkins

I drove all the route from Coalburg Road to US 45 in Tupelo today. Why was it built 3 lanes in each direction to Jasper? Given the amount of traffic, even on the section that is officially now US 78, I'd say it was way overbuilt.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

Quote from: hbelkins on November 04, 2012, 12:08:04 AM
I drove all the route from Coalburg Road to US 45 in Tupelo today. Why was it built 3 lanes in each direction to Jasper? Given the amount of traffic, even on the section that is officially now US 78, I'd say it was way overbuilt.

I think it was done in case there is any residential or industrial development in that area. Whether that comes or not remains to be seen.

What I don't understand is the lone six-lane segment between Carbon Hill and Jasper. I know it "overlaps" the old road in that the old road becomes a frontage road, but I still don't see the need for it there.
Cody Goodman

Alex

Quote from: Grzrd on February 25, 2012, 01:55:51 PM

Federal Highway Administrator Victor Mendez came to Birmingham on February 22 and spoke at the I-22/ I-65 interchange construction site, which generated a WVTM-TV video, a Birmingham News video, and an eight-photo Birmingham News photo gallery.

As an aside, CBS 42 has an article which includes a photo of the US 78 and AL 4 "Corridor X" shields, which should become historical collector's items in a little under three years ...

Reviewing this thread for a needed update to the I-22 page on interstate-guide.com, I noticed this post and the photo, which was taken by me on 9/25/2003:
https://www.aaroads.com/southeast/alabama075/us-078_wb_app_i-022.jpg

msunat97

I LOVE the 6 lanes on I-22.  I know traffic doesn't dictate the need for them, but it is nice with all that room on the road.  I wish more interstates were 6+ lanes.

AUTiger7222

Quote from: msunat97 on November 05, 2012, 04:57:06 PM
I LOVE the 6 lanes on I-22.  I know traffic doesn't dictate the need for them, but it is nice with all that room on the road.  I wish more interstates were 6+ lanes.

I completely agree about more interstates being 6 lanes. I don't travel up to Huntsville so I don't know if I-65 is 6 lanes up there or not but I do travel from Cullman to Birmingham a lot and it sure would be a lot better if 1-65 was 6 lanes at least all the way up to Cullman. The 6 lanes of 1-65 from Birmingham ends right at the Black Warrior River. Travel from there up to Cullman is tough, especially during rush hour.

Henry

Quote from: Alex on October 22, 2012, 04:03:34 PM

If you live in NC, this would be the most familiar sight to you! :)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on August 02, 2012, 08:03:06 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on August 28, 2011, 03:08:22 PM
Recent article discusses Cambridge Systematics study of upgrade options for Lamar Avenue.  Three primary options (with estimated cost) are as follows: (1) build interchanges at Holmes and Winchester Roads and Shelby Drive, leaving Lamar at 4 lanes ($213.2 million), (2) build interchanges at Holmes and Winchester Roads and Shelby Drive, expanding Lamar to 6 lanes ($275.1 million), and (3) fully upgrade Lamar to I-22 ($637.9 million).
Quote from: Grzrd on September 05, 2011, 12:36:16 PM
Here is a link to the Cambridge Systematics/TDOT study of the Lamar Corridor:
http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/documents/LamarAvenueCorridor_June2011.pdf
Maybe the Lamar Corridor will one day become part of I-22. This article reports on Tennessee Transportation Commissioner John Schroer discussing the Lamar Corridor.  He does not mention I-22 directly, but he does mention a price tag of $500 million to $700 million and having to displace a lot of businesses.

The Cambridge Systematics/TDOT study of the Lamar Corridor does estimate a cost of $275.1 million for a six-lane upgrade and interchanges at Winchester, Shelby, and Holmes (page 69/81 of pdf; page 8/11 of document):

Alt. 5HWS — 6-lane, int. at Holmes, Winchester and Shelby 275.1

The Memphis MPO, as part of its 11/15/2012 Transportation Policy Board Agenda, is seeking to amend its TIP in order to allow some engineering work on the Lamar Corridor upgrade.  As part of the documentation associated with that request, it looks like the estimated cost for the above widening and interchanges has risen to $482,226,188.00 (page 20/57 of pdf; page 37 of document):

Major increase. I think I am comparing apples to apples. If not, what am I missing? Inflation over time?

Here is a map of the area of proposed construction (page 20/57 of pdf; page 37 of document):

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.