News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Bismarck US Highway 83 Realignment

Started by GMoney0805, April 09, 2019, 10:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GMoney0805

https://www.hwy83altstudy.com
Check it out
This site is about realignment US 83 to bypass Bismarck.

iPhone

M86

Quote from: GMoney0805 on April 09, 2019, 10:15:36 AM
https://www.hwy83altstudy.com
Check it out
This site is about realignment US 83 to bypass Bismarck.

iPhone
Interesting. I didn't realize Bismarck had so much outlying residential development to the north of I-94 and east of US 83.
The bypass options seem rather far out though, similar to the bypasses built in Williston and Dickinson for the oil field traffic.

GMoney0805

Yeah, contrary to my hometown Fargo which is growing to the south, Bismarck is growing to the north. I just find all of the truck traffic very interesting. It would be nice for a short bypass so that occasional local traffic headaches can be avoided. I do agree the proposals do seem far out. But that might be in order to use existing roadways as opposed to building new.

iPhone

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone see if it might be feasible to convert the existing 4-laned US 83 corridor into a freeway? I doubt a freeway conversion all the way to Minot would be necessary, but perhaps some of the existing intersections could recieve interchange conversions, grade seperations, and cul-de-sacs.

sparker

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 12, 2019, 05:35:19 PM
Does anyone see if it might be feasible to convert the existing 4-laned US 83 corridor into a freeway? I doubt a freeway conversion all the way to Minot would be necessary, but perhaps some of the existing intersections could recieve interchange conversions, grade seperations, and cul-de-sacs.

Once the burbs north of Bismarck are bypassed or otherwise dealt with, a "Midwest"-type expressway, with short freeway bypasses of significant towns and interchanges at crossing state routes and other major arterials, may be one of the better options for any further development of US 83.  For all intents & purposes, it would be giving that corridor the "Avenue of the Saints" treatment.  Unless some regional folks with clout suddenly get Interstate fever, such an upgrade would likely be one of the more appropriate approaches. 

X99

Realigning US 83 to bypass Bismarck... I may have unintentionally found the routing of it when I made my plans for a northern extension of I-27 to Minot. (This already has its own thread in Fictional Highways.) I'm not making another separate map for it, but tell me: is my routing of the Bismarck Northeast Bypass (in my plans, the Interstate bypass of the city) at or near the place where the US 83 bypass is planned?

Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bEaCSlye1wRZ_fKX-KgyuseLs2IZOtif&usp=sharing
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

GMoney0805

First off, your design is awesome! And actually your alignment is actually closer to Bismarck than the proposed one. They had originally thought the idea just to be a truck reliever route but now they're looking to align it as a continuation north of the Sterling exit. If that makes sense. Hope this helps! Really liking the insight

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.