News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

South Dakota State Highway 20 Gap

Started by GMoney0805, December 22, 2019, 11:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GMoney0805

South Dakota Highway 20 runs a total of 385 miles throughout the state. However, what physical road signage and what the SDDOT website have listed are somewhat different. When on the physical roadway, there is a 346 mile western segment from the SD-MT state line to US 212 in Watertown, and a 39 mile eastern segment from 455th Ave (CR 11/Old US 81) west of South Shore to the SD-MN state line, leaving a gap in between. However, the SDDOT log (screenshot) lists that SD 20 follows US 212 East to US 81, then follows US 81 North and East to I-29 (Exit 180), and I-29 North to SD 20 East (Exit 193). However, this routing is physically unsigned. I think I may have an idea as to why there as two different listings, but just want to see what the community thinks. Thanks!

iPhone

DandyDan

I would assume in the pre-Interstate era, SD 20 officially went north with US 81 to where the current east segment begins. I think it's odd they didn't just build a road straight east-west to avoid Watertown, unless the Lake Traverse Indian reservation had something to say about it.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

GMoney0805

Quote from: DandyDan on December 23, 2019, 12:51:13 AM
I would assume in the pre-Interstate era, SD 20 officially went north with US 81 to where the current east segment begins. I think it's odd they didn't just build a road straight east-west to avoid Watertown, unless the Lake Traverse Indian reservation had something to say about it.
See that's the impression I got from old highway maps. I did see on a Codington County SD transportation plan that they would like to turn back the segment of SD 20 from Old 81 to I-29 to the county. I'll get a screenshot when I get a chance.

iPhone

GMoney0805

Listed under Map ID 30 if that helps

M86

SD 20 has never made sense to me. It's really the only state highway that is disjointed and completely confusing.
Look at SD 30. It technically goes west from I-29 to old US Highway 77 for a mile. Old 77 is a county road now. SD 20 does the same.
SDDOT needs to turn back some of these stretches.

Flint1979

Don't forget the dirt road stretch between the Montana state line and Camp Crook.

The Ghostbuster

This reminds me of State Highway 37 in Indiana, although that route was originally continuous between Marion and Fort Wayne (via SR 9 and US 24). I looked at the corridor of Highway 20 in South Dakota, and it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to sign it as a continuous route between Watertown and where the eastern leg has its western terminus. I would have one suggestion, though. Perhaps Highway 20 could be rerouted to 3rd Ave. NW/NE, between 10th St. NW and 4th St. NE (US 81). Signing Highway 20 eastward on US 212 and then northward on US 81 seems kind of convoluted to me. To me, moving Highway 20 to 3rd Ave. would give it a more direct routing through Watertown.

texaskdog

Google maps has SD 20 running on old 81

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

texaskdog

GMoney0805

SD 20 was multiplexed with 81 before 81 was moved to the interstate

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.