News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: SEWIGuy on Today at 09:23:11 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on Today at 09:19:00 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on Today at 01:13:32 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on July 11, 2024, 10:54:43 AM
Quote from: seicer on July 10, 2024, 10:09:32 AMPay-by-plate/EZ-Pass is the best solution for these types of situations. Michigan should already have agreements with surrounding states and provinces to collect tolls from scofflaws.

How is someone a scofflaw when the only way to avoid the tolled bridge involves a 500 mile detour? They supposed to ford the Mackinac Strait or something?

Really don't think calling people deadbeats when this is literally the only transportation choice they have makes a ton of sense.
Only 500 miles? It's about 900 miles to drive around the lake.

Fair enough, I was just trying to post a number I didn't think was hyperbole without checking. Just drives my point home that much more.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and thought you were taking the SS Badger across the lake.
Yeah that would shorten it by about 350 miles or so. I looked on Google and it would take about two more hours to drive around the lake vs. taking the SS Badger.
Quote from: SectorZ on Today at 09:19:00 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on Today at 01:13:32 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on July 11, 2024, 10:54:43 AM
Quote from: seicer on July 10, 2024, 10:09:32 AMPay-by-plate/EZ-Pass is the best solution for these types of situations. Michigan should already have agreements with surrounding states and provinces to collect tolls from scofflaws.

How is someone a scofflaw when the only way to avoid the tolled bridge involves a 500 mile detour? They supposed to ford the Mackinac Strait or something?

Really don't think calling people deadbeats when this is literally the only transportation choice they have makes a ton of sense.
Only 500 miles? It's about 900 miles to drive around the lake.

Fair enough, I was just trying to post a number I didn't think was hyperbole without checking. Just drives my point home that much more.
I did the Lake Michigan Circle Tour one time so I knew how long it was.
International Highways / Re: UK Roads Thread
Last post by english si - Today at 10:19:18 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on June 12, 2024, 11:01:56 PMI had to look up Skegness after the video because the host portrayed it as a dying seaside resort town. To the contrary, the population is growing
In England that's often a sign of a dying town - both in terms of trying to add population and industry to try and get the economy growing again, and in terms of the people there not being rich enough to have the time to block development (a classic rich-Brit pasttime).
Quotethe climate doesn't look horrible (for England anyway.)
Sure, it's East Coast location makes it dryer than places west of the Pennines, but it's only as warm in summer as Bridlington (further north), and wetter to boot. It's slightly cooler, and as-dry, as Nottingham - the big city with the strongest links to Skeggy. You aren't going there as the weather is nice, because it's unlikely to be nicer than where you are and isn't as nice as other places.

Even when it was a thriving resort, it marketed itself on being 'bracing' (ie cold and windy, but in an invigorating way) - it's a dying resort town because all it has is a beach, a few amenities and a big holiday park that is not really any cheaper than going to some crap resort a cheap flight away - eg Benidorm.

80% of the town's population is in the bottom 20% of the country - it's very very far from thriving. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6604480ee8c44200112203c5/Skegness.pdf
Off-Topic / Re: Target no longer accepting...
Last post by seicer - Today at 10:14:58 AM
Quote from: hotdogPi on Today at 10:00:46 AMI play at a Magic: the Gathering store. One time when the power was out, the rules were cash purchases only. This particular store was low-volume enough that "write down the 16 digits, manually process when the power comes back on" would have been an option, but he didn't. This obviously wouldn't work manually for a high-volume location like Bobby5280 described, but I'm wondering if this is the underlying mechanism for Square and Toast where any offline purchase has the card number and amount of money kept track of in a database and then processed immediately when back online.

Writing card numbers down on a notecard is never an option. That is the worst possible thing you can do with someone's financial information. It also puts the business against PCI regulations.
Northeast / Re: Interstate 81 in Syracuse
Last post by froggie - Today at 10:08:12 AM
^ What was NYSDOT's pre-bid estimate for Contract 5?
Last post by kalvado - Today at 10:05:30 AM
Quote from: seicer on Today at 09:54:58 AMBlaming the technology when someone doesn't understand something is a classic deflection tactic. Most point-of-sale systems can operate in an offline mode; Square and Toast, two of the most popular vendors, have such capabilities.
At the very least, forced offline situation has to be anticipated, and proper arrangements made beforehand. Hindsight is always great... 
Not to mention POS vendor also not being top notch by opting for a lower QoS tier of cell connection.
Southeast / Re: Complete NC 540 Project
Last post by PColumbus73 - Today at 10:05:21 AM
Quote from: webny99 on Today at 09:21:54 AM
Quote from: architect77 on Today at 08:56:57 AMGet real. NCDOT isn't going to have a complete, independent loop named incorrectly that would mislead travelers from the rest of the US who depend on the numeric designation to let them know what it does, where it goes.

LOL, I wish this was the case, but it is sadly far from reality in terms of DOT decision making. It's much easier, less expensive, and less likely to attract negative publicity for them not to bother with planning and implementing a renumbering just to make it fit the numbering convention.

I don't think the average driver is going to be confused that I-540 isn't I-640. Plenty examples elsewhere, I-520, 355, 495 (NY), seem to indicate the first digit doesn't make much of a difference to the general public. I-540 is pretty well entrenched so renumbering it would seem pointless except for internal cataloging. If North Carolina was dead set on having I-640 knowing it would not be completed for 30 years, they could have built it as NC 640 then submit the Interstate application once the final connection was completed (or to I-495, then 87 when it was established).

I think AASHTO has a point regarding why they chose I-540, if they saw that the highway wasn't funded or planned to completion at the time the application was submitted, and completion was in the distant future, then there would be no guarantee the highway would actually get built. There might have been concerns that an I-640 might not get completed as intended, whether it be lack of funding, or a change in the political climate.
Not the exact same scenario, but there are two other similar entities with long, rural crossings with few (or lengthy) alternatives that I would put in the same "peer group" as the Mackinac Bridge:  the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (CBBT) and the Confederation Bridge.

Both facilities have an ETC option (EZPass for the CBBT and "StraitPASS" for the Confederation Bridge) while also having cash lanes.  The Confederation Bridge has a single toll plaza and only charges in one direction (leaving PEI), while the CBBT has toll plazas on each side, charging users before they begin the crossing.

So two theoretical possibilities that could be options for the Mackinac.  First option would be to charge double the toll but to only charge it southbound since the toll plaza is on the Upper Peninsula.  The existing toll plaza could probably be reconfigured to provide two free-flowing northbound lanes while providing both an ETC lane and additional cash lanes southbound.

The second option, which IMO would be the better option operationally but also more problematic to implement, would be to build a second toll plaza on the Mackinaw City side for northbound traffic.  The problem here is that you have the town completely surrounding the southern approach to the bridge (plus the proximity of Exits 338 and 339) so adequate space is tight.  One possibility would be to buy out the Marathon station and Mystery Town USA and use that space for the plaza, but that would require a lot of earth given the elevation difference.  This would also require removing the northbound ramps at Exit 339.

(EDIT) In response to hobsini's post right before mine, building a second span would be wasted money.  As noted upthread, even on the busiest holidays, capacity on the bridge itself is not the issue.  I also don't think building a toll plaza on the bridge itself would be the right way to go...it would be even more expensive than the ROW buyout and earth moving I suggested.
Last post by hotdogPi - Today at 10:00:46 AM
I play at a Magic: the Gathering store. One time when the power was out, the rules were cash purchases only. This particular store was low-volume enough that "write down the 16 digits, manually process when the power comes back on" would have been an option, but he didn't. This obviously wouldn't work manually for a high-volume location like Bobby5280 described, but I'm wondering if this is the underlying mechanism for Square and Toast where any offline purchase has the card number and amount of money kept track of in a database and then processed immediately when back online.
Last post by seicer - Today at 09:54:58 AM
Blaming the technology when someone doesn't understand something is a classic deflection tactic. Most point-of-sale systems can operate in an offline mode; Square and Toast, two of the most popular vendors, have such capabilities.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.