News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Funniest street names

Started by J Route Z, September 15, 2014, 12:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

If you search enough, you might find some roads named Asperger Straße :sombrero:. Hint: look for a town named Asperg near Stuttgart...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: jakeroot on November 04, 2017, 07:40:48 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 04, 2017, 04:27:13 PM
Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 04, 2017, 02:05:42 PM
Bodacious Dr. in Silverton, OR: https://goo.gl/maps/HU7VN4KAuyA2

That sign sure ain't bodacious though! X-(

Seems okay to me. I like the big borer, although I wish the text were mixed-case.

That was ODOT's standard street sign design until very recently, when they switched to mixed-case. It'll probably get replaced once it reaches end-of-life, whenever that is.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

jakeroot

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 16, 2017, 05:40:03 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 04, 2017, 07:40:48 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 04, 2017, 04:27:13 PM
Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 04, 2017, 02:05:42 PM
Bodacious Dr. in Silverton, OR: https://goo.gl/maps/HU7VN4KAuyA2

That sign sure ain't bodacious though! X-(

Seems okay to me. I like the big bor[d]er, although I wish the text were mixed-case.

That was ODOT's standard street sign design until very recently, when they switched to mixed-case. It'll probably get replaced once it reaches end-of-life, whenever that is.

As long as it still has a big *border, I'm fine with the change.

pderocco

Quote from: theline on September 02, 2017, 01:53:02 AM
Quote from: pderocco on September 01, 2017, 05:59:18 PM
Route 79 in Freehold, NJ is called Broadway Way.

"Broadway Way" sounds so silly that I'm skeptical. It led me to check Google, which shows the name as simply "Broadway." The street sign that I see in GSV shows the same: https://goo.gl/maps/WkS7B1yiMjL2. Can we get a source for "Broadway Way"?

MSS&T shows four of them, but three of them are contradicted by Google Street View. However, West Fargo, ND has one which Google lists as well -- you can barely see the sign in Google Street View.

pderocco

Quote from: jwolfer on October 07, 2017, 06:50:35 PM
A high school friend found this street name.. shared it on Facebook

Google Earth lists four of these: Lavallette, NJ; Port Angeles, WA; Paradise, CA; Camdentown, MO. MSS&T lists a few more.

jwolfer

Quote from: pderocco on November 18, 2017, 01:09:15 AM
Quote from: jwolfer on October 07, 2017, 06:50:35 PM
A high school friend found this street name.. shared it on Facebook

Google Earth lists four of these: Lavallette, NJ; Port Angeles, WA; Paradise, CA; Camdentown, MO. MSS&T lists a few more.
It's Lavallette, NJ... That's the island I grew up on. Lavallette goes to my high school

Z981

pderocco

Quote from: jakeroot on October 11, 2014, 03:05:39 PM
Driving around the Northwest region with my Australian friend was fun, because he was laughing at basically every aboriginal name he saw. Here's one he loved:

Obviously, we pronounced it "anus road" but I'm sure it's "anne-is" or something.

The southern end of route 77 in Rhode Island is called Sakonnet Point Rd, because it goes to Sakonnet Point. Kids seem to accent the wrong syllable in that one.

D-Dey65

TBKS1

I don't have anything here, but apparently in Perry County, there's lots of interesting road name signs to the point where people are apparently stealing the road signs.

Here's the article: http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/missing-signs-are-road-blocks-for-first-responders/786830785

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

empirestate

Quote from: TBKS1 on January 06, 2018, 05:58:46 PM
I don't have anything here, but apparently in Perry County, there's lots of interesting road name signs to the point where people are apparently stealing the road signs.

Here's the article: http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/missing-signs-are-road-blocks-for-first-responders/786830785

Forgive my impertinence, but...wouldn't the ambulance drivers in a very small, rural community quickly get to know the roads on their own?

GaryV

Quote from: empirestate on January 07, 2018, 10:01:50 AM

Forgive my impertinence, but...wouldn't the ambulance drivers in a very small, rural community quickly get to know the roads on their own?

Given that the article is talking about the county replacing road signs, and quotes the county 911 coordinator, I'm guessing the EMT and other responders are at the county level too.  Not just a few roads.

empirestate

Quote from: GaryV on January 07, 2018, 04:12:07 PM

Given that the article is talking about the county replacing road signs, and quotes the county 911 coordinator, I'm guessing the EMT and other responders are at the county level too.  Not just a few roads.

Well, relative to what? To a tiny village? No. But to other counties around the U.S.? Sure, comparatively few, indeed. I certainly knew all the principal roads in my county, and many of the ones in adjoining counties.

kphoger

wouldn't the ambulance drivers in a very small, rural community quickly get to know the roads on their own?

They won't quickly learn the street names if there aren't any street signs for them to see.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cjk374

The names given in that Arkansas Matters article all sound like private drives & not county named roads.

Hard to imagine a county naming a road "Pink Floyd Rd".
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

formulanone

Quote from: cjk374 on January 08, 2018, 03:29:36 PM

Sign theft is still wrong; it costs the county money, and we shouldn't act like animals.

Signage can still be obscured by clouds on the way to the great gig in the sky.

cjk374

Quote from: formulanone on January 19, 2018, 06:53:27 AM

Sign theft is still wrong; it costs the county money, and we shouldn't act like animals.

I 100% agree. But here in Lincoln Parish, the owner of the private drives pay the parish for new signs. The theft is still wrong, but it's a private property owner losing the money.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

empirestate

Quote from: kphoger on January 08, 2018, 02:15:28 PM
wouldn't the ambulance drivers in a very small, rural community quickly get to know the roads on their own?

They won't quickly learn the street names if there aren't any street signs for them to see.

Why? Aren't the names on county maps?

kphoger

Quote from: empirestate on January 19, 2018, 09:41:44 AM

I suppose.  But a driver learns street names not just by studying a map, rather by actually driving the streets.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

empirestate

Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2018, 02:13:12 PM

I suppose.  But a driver learns street names not just by studying a map, rather by actually driving the streets.

Exactly. So with all the driving these guys do, in addition to having good official maps to study, wouldn't they quickly become familiar enough with the local roads that an occasional missing sign wouldn't delay them to the point of being newsworthy?

kphoger

Quote from: empirestate on January 19, 2018, 03:38:53 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2018, 02:13:12 PM

Exactly. So with all the driving these guys do, in addition to having good official maps to study, wouldn't they quickly become familiar enough with the local roads that an occasional missing sign wouldn't delay them to the point of being newsworthy?

I know the names of several of the streets closest to my house, closest to my church, closest to my parents' house, closest to my work, etc, etc.–not by having done business on those streets or by having studied them on a map, but rather by having driven past the street signs so many times.  I know that Bleckley Drive is the one that runs past a Presbyterian Church precisely because that street is on my way home from Papa Murphy's; take away the street signs, and I wouldn't have learned its name.

Is it possible to learn street names without street signs?  Yes.  But it's not as easy, and it's not as fast.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Me, personally, I don't recall ever learning a street name from driving it. At least not a street name that I needed to know and still remember, anyways. I spent an insane amount of time studying area maps as a kid, and as a result, I know the names of all the main roads in the area, and most of the neighborhood streets within a five mile radius or so of my house.

I'm trying to think of a funny street name to contribute, but, nothing yet  :hmmm:

empirestate

Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2018, 03:58:54 PM
I know the names of several of the streets closest to my house, closest to my church, closest to my parents' house, closest to my work, etc, etc.–not by having done business on those streets or by having studied them on a map, but rather by having driven past the street signs so many times.  I know that Bleckley Drive is the one that runs past a Presbyterian Church precisely because that street is on my way home from Papa Murphy's; take away the street signs, and I wouldn't have learned its name.

Right, but these are people who drive around to specific addresses as a way of making their living, and/or of providing a vital public service. So they wouldn't be learning the roads just by chance of having driven past them; they'd be equipped with commercial mapping/navigation systems combined with officially-produced maps of the area they serve.

QuoteIs it possible to learn street names without street signs?  Yes.  But it's not as easy, and it's not as fast.

Probably not true, if you were to put that to the test. But regardless, we're talking only about the absence of a few select signs, not removing the entire system. As well, I don't dispute that it is slightly less fast to know the name of a street without a sign than with one, only that it is not so much slower as to amount to a matter of major public concern worthy of being reported in the news–or that, if it is, it is unlikely that theft of the signs can be solely to blame.

bing101

yakra

Quote from: formulanone on January 19, 2018, 06:53:27 AM

Wot's... uh the deal with people stealing road signs, leaving nothing but empty spaces where they'd been? I'm lost for words; I remember a day before something like this would happen. If they don't stop, one of these days the dogs responsible will get caught. Let's hope they face justice at the trial.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

mrpablue

http://bit.ly/2GBc84i

http://bit.ly/2ELXV89

There are many funny streets near Las Vegas' Farm Road/US95.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.