News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois isn't flat

Started by Crash_It, July 30, 2021, 09:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: Crash_It on October 17, 2021, 10:19:42 AM
Quote from: thspfc on October 17, 2021, 08:48:20 AM
If you were familiar with Chicago you would know which areas have hills or changes in elevation.
You live in the Chicago area and you clearly don't know which areas have hills, if any do at all.

Yes I do. Anything from Western Lake County onward gets hilly, especially Kane and McHenry counties. Elevations in both those counties reach 1000ft in areas. The Cook county panhandle can also get quite hilly. A drive down IL68 or 62 will reveal that.
I have been to and driven through almost every corner of McHenry County, and remember seeing a grand total of one hill.

Stop it with the "elevation change"  garbage. Did you know that western Nebraska is about 4,000 feet higher in elevation than eastern Nebraska? Nebraska reaches elevations of over 5,000 feet. Nebraska is flat, I'm sure you would agree?

I think you're trolling.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bing101 on October 17, 2021, 02:19:18 PM
If you were familiar with Chicago you would know which areas have hills or changes in elevation.
You live in the Chicago area and you clearly don't know which areas have hills, if any do at all.

Yes I do. Anything from Western Lake County onward gets hilly, especially Kane and McHenry counties. Elevations in both those counties reach 1000ft in areas. The Cook county panhandle can also get quite hilly. A drive down IL68 or 62 will reveal that.

https://www.abc57.com/news/the-chance-of-a-major-earthquake-in-or-near-indiana-may-surprise-you

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2019/10/06/city/scientists-examine-illinois-earthquake-risk/

The most scenic areas are the ones with earthquake faults.

Can You name the earthquake fault that runs under Chicago? The only way Chicago can have hills if you can identify the active earthquake fault in the area and run inside the city limits.

There are hills in my area without active earthquake faults. (There are inactive ones, and there are hills that have nothing to do with faults at all.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on October 17, 2021, 02:20:26 PM

I have been to and driven through almost every corner of McHenry County, and remember seeing a grand total of one hill.

Stop it with the "elevation change"  garbage. Did you know that western Nebraska is about 4,000 feet higher in elevation than eastern Nebraska? Nebraska reaches elevations of over 5,000 feet. Nebraska is flat, I'm sure you would agree?

I think you're trolling.

No, this guy really believes the things he says and such a Illinois homer that all logic goes out the window. 

bing101

Quote from: 1 on October 17, 2021, 02:24:10 PM

https://www.abc57.com/news/the-chance-of-a-major-earthquake-in-or-near-indiana-may-surprise-you

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2019/10/06/city/scientists-examine-illinois-earthquake-risk/

Can You name the earthquake fault that runs under Chicago? The only way Chicago can have hills if you can identify the active earthquake fault in the area and run inside the city limits.

There are hills in my area without active earthquake faults. (There are inactive ones, and there are hills that have nothing to do with faults at all.)

"Hills that have nothing to do with Faults" that would be a hard concept for me given that I live in the ring of fire area and visited other places where the pacific ring of fire is active. My guess would be Ice Age landslides and avalanches formed those hills in some areas. 

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 17, 2021, 02:28:57 PM

I think you're trolling.

No, this guy really believes the things he says and such a Illinois homer that all logic goes out the window.
And even being an Illinois homer he doesn't even know what he's talking about in the first place.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 17, 2021, 05:45:37 PM

I think you're trolling.

And even being an Illinois homer he doesn't even know what he's talking about in the first place.

Kind of makes you wonder what having an unbreakable level of self assurance feels like doesn't it?  I just want to be able to taste that feeling once in my life that everyone is wrong but me.  What a glorious delusion to live in, unflappable to the end. 

SkyPesos

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 17, 2021, 05:59:58 PM

I think you're trolling.

Kind of makes you wonder what having an unbreakable level of self assurance feels like doesn't it?  I just want to be able to taste that feeling once in my life that everyone is wrong but me.  What a glorious delusion to live in, unflappable to the end.
You reminded me of this quote from the Jane Bryne Interchange thread:
Quote from: Crash_It on June 16, 2021, 11:47:06 AM
Quote from: SSOWorld on June 16, 2021, 07:15:37 AM
Done by fall 3000.  got it.

It'll be done long before your state fixes all it's thousands upon thousands of miles of beat the f*** up roads.

Flint1979

I think you're trolling.

Yep according to him he is the know all of anything Illinois and anyone that even challenges an attempt to outwit him is wrong and he's right every time lmao. I'm not even sure he knows what a hill is.

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on October 13, 2021, 07:36:42 PM
I had no idea just how flat the Red River area of ND/MN was. That certainly explains the high flatness rankings of those states. Crash-It can find peace in the fact that Grand Forks, North Dakota is flatter than Chicago.

Absolutely one of the flattest parts of the country. The only elevation change on I-29 in ND is the occasional overpass... yes, literally. I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often in the "most boring roads" conversations, but I suppose it just isn't as well-known as the I-70's and I-80's of the world.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 17, 2021, 07:17:47 PM

I think you're trolling.

Yep according to him he is the know all of anything Illinois and anyone that even challenges an attempt to outwit him is wrong and he's right every time lmao. I'm not even sure he knows what a hill is.

FWIW I don't think Crash has ever actually managed to outwit anyone on this forum. He isn't off to the greatest start in doing so on FWJ either.  The site admin has seen through his "logic"  a couple times already.  If he can't whip up the masses into a frenzy on a more entry level site like FWJ his rebranding effort converting everything from Crash_it to Let's Ride Illinois will be for naught. 

Then again, I don't think that the OP understands the road community and sensationalism laden cammer community aren't one in the same.

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 17, 2021, 07:33:03 PM

FWIW I don't think Crash has ever actually managed to outwit anyone on this forum. He isn't off to the greatest start in doing so on FWJ either.  The site admin has seen through his "logic"  a couple times already.  If he can't whip up the masses into a frenzy on a more entry level site like FWJ his rebranding effort converting everything from Crash_it to Let's Ride Illinois will be for naught. 

Then again, I don't think that the OP understands the road community and sensationalism laden cammer community aren't one in the same.

I happened on his I-180 and latest road rage offerings in FWJ today. Suffice it to say he's getting about the same ratio there as he does here.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Tonight's video premiere convinced me that Illinois is the most scenic state in the country. I don't know how I had missed beautiful Mount Chicago on previous visits, but it was front and center in Crash_It's video!
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cl94 on October 17, 2021, 08:48:16 PM
Tonight's video premiere convinced me that Illinois is the most scenic state in the country. I don't know how I had missed beautiful Mount Chicago on previous visits, but it was front and center in Crash_It's video!

I heard it was so convincing and epic that comments were turned off.  It's not like they were needed amid the mountainous splendor that is Illinois.

ET21

There is no fault underneath Chicago, unless you count the Wabash fault from downstate which I don't think extends this far north (correct me if wrong). The "hilly" terrain around here is due to moraines
http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/1260.html
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

thspfc

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 17, 2021, 06:05:13 PM

It'll be done long before your state fixes all it's thousands upon thousands of miles of beat the f*** up roads.
Meanwhile, the only tolerable roads in Illinois are the ones that aren't even maintained by the state.

Crash_It

Quote from: thspfc on October 18, 2021, 10:24:15 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on October 17, 2021, 06:05:13 PM

Meanwhile, the only tolerable roads in Illinois are the ones that aren't even maintained by the state.

Took a lot of guts to belt out that false statement especially when compared to Wisconsin. So many state and county roads there need work it's almost hilarious. They just now got around to resurfacing WIS32 on the southern edge of Kenosha which was 20 years overdue, they still need to get that stretch around the hospital. Many roads in Wisconsin are like that.

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 17, 2021, 09:21:30 PM
Quote from: cl94 on October 17, 2021, 08:48:16 PM

I heard it was so convincing and epic that comments were turned off.  It's not like they were needed amid the mountainous splendor that is Illinois.
I picture myself sitting high in Rockies looking at Mt. Greenwood.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Crash_It on October 15, 2021, 04:47:43 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 15, 2021, 02:34:55 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on October 14, 2021, 01:16:33 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 13, 2021, 08:23:26 PM
There is only one neighborhood in Chicago that has hills and that's the Beverly neighborhood on the Southside.

More than that, Ashburn, Austin, Craigin, Dunning Gresham, and Roseland also have hilly sections.
No they don't.

Yes they do.. 

Ashburn/Gresham border

2251 W 87th St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/VETLBC8GTD2ubaCX6

Roseland
125 E 115th St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/FahvW6zEygyQnBFr8

Austin/ Dunning border

6255 W Bloomingdale Ave
https://maps.app.goo.gl/XyDYArK7nwzuyZ9NA

Cragin

2253 N Long Ave
https://maps.app.goo.gl/68eFpjow5HoYqRMp9

Even 119th Street in Morgan Park is has some slopes..

2213 119th St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/NE44SKtoJBkZ18D57

Backing out of Street View into the regular Google Maps and switching to Terrain for topographic maps doesn't indicate any elevation change gradient to justify even a line on these.  Not hilly.

bing101

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 18, 2021, 12:49:31 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on October 15, 2021, 04:47:43 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 15, 2021, 02:34:55 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on October 14, 2021, 01:16:33 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 13, 2021, 08:23:26 PM
There is only one neighborhood in Chicago that has hills and that's the Beverly neighborhood on the Southside.

More than that, Ashburn, Austin, Craigin, Dunning Gresham, and Roseland also have hilly sections.
No they don't.

Yes they do.. 

Ashburn/Gresham border

2251 W 87th St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/VETLBC8GTD2ubaCX6

Roseland
125 E 115th St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/FahvW6zEygyQnBFr8

Austin/ Dunning border

6255 W Bloomingdale Ave
https://maps.app.goo.gl/XyDYArK7nwzuyZ9NA

Cragin

2253 N Long Ave
https://maps.app.goo.gl/68eFpjow5HoYqRMp9

Even 119th Street in Morgan Park is has some slopes..

2213 119th St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/NE44SKtoJBkZ18D57

Backing out of Street View into the regular Google Maps and switching to Terrain for topographic maps doesn't indicate any elevation change gradient to justify even a line on these.  Not hilly.

True also you need a 5-6% grade difference to see the difference in elevation. These locations do not look steep at all and has to be less than 1% grade in steepness though.

bing101

Quote from: ET21 on October 18, 2021, 09:22:51 AM

There is no fault underneath Chicago, unless you count the Wabash fault from downstate which I don't think extends this far north (correct me if wrong). The "hilly" terrain around here is due to moraines

True I looked at Chicago's geology is based on glaciers from the Ice Age that made the Great Lakes and Im guessing Ravine in Highland Park is a talking point for hills in Illinois?

ET21

Quote from: bing101 on October 18, 2021, 01:16:02 PM

True I looked at Chicago's geology is based on glaciers from the Ice Age that made the Great Lakes and Im guessing Ravine in Highland Park is a talking point for hills in Illinois?

That I believe is the northern extent of the Tinley Moraine. Hills and Illinois only point me towards one area, the Driftless in far NW Illinois.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Crash_It

Quote from: ET21 on October 18, 2021, 03:52:33 PM
Quote from: bing101 on October 18, 2021, 01:16:02 PM

That I believe is the northern extent of the Tinley Moraine. Hills and Illinois only point me towards one area, the Driftless in far NW Illinois.
A quick drive into McHenry, LaSalle or even Western Lake County would prove that statement to be false.

LilianaUwU

I wanted to check for myself where the highest point in the state is, and it stands at only 1200 feet tall. Pretty flat if you ask me.

Of course, terrain can be hilly, but that's true of pretty much everywhere. You won't get 100% level terrain anywhere.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Max Rockatansky

I want to hear more about how bridges on the Chicago Skyway factor into Illinois not being flat.

Flint1979

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 18, 2021, 10:47:00 PM
I wanted to check for myself where the highest point in the state is, and it stands at only 1200 feet tall. Pretty flat if you ask me.

Of course, terrain can be hilly, but that's true of pretty much everywhere. You won't get 100% level terrain anywhere.
Charles Mound in Jo Daviess County which I said awhile back is probably the most scenic county in the state. The high point in Illinois is only about a half mile south of the Wisconsin border too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.