News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonytone

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 23, 2018, 01:44:21 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on October 22, 2018, 08:50:30 PM
Does anyone know when, the Big interchange project for DE-1/273 is slated to begin?

The overarching SR 1 widening project is on hold indefinitely until the state can get the funds for it.  In the meantime, they've been plucking pieces of that project out and building them separately (IE the DDI at SR 72 and the northbound and future southbound auxiliary lanes between SR 273 and US 40) to hold them over until they get enough to finish the whole thing.
Well, at-least if they extend the lane from the christiana mall & push it all the way to the 1/13 merge traffic wont get bunched up and cause that bad rush-hour traffic. I wish Deldot would restrip the merge at Redlion/13, So the 1 has two full lanes and 13 has to merge. But would this cause traffic issues at the two closest signals before the highway?
Promoting Cities since 1998!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on October 23, 2018, 02:34:25 PM
Does anyone know when, the Big interchange project for DE-1/273 is slated to begin?

The overarching SR 1 widening project is on hold indefinitely until the state can get the funds for it.  In the meantime, they've been plucking pieces of that project out and building them separately (IE the DDI at SR 72 and the northbound and future southbound auxiliary lanes between SR 273 and US 40) to hold them over until they get enough to finish the whole thing.
Well, at-least if they extend the lane from the christiana mall & push it all the way to the 1/13 merge traffic wont get bunched up and cause that bad rush-hour traffic. I wish Deldot would restrip the merge at Redlion/13, So the 1 has two full lanes and 13 has to merge. But would this cause traffic issues at the two closest signals before the highway?

It's a half-mile from the traffic light at Bear/Hamburg Roads, and 1/4 mile from the Rt. 71 intersections, to where Rt. 1 merges in.  Doing this just based on knowledge without looking at any traffic counts, there should be no traffic issues if Rt. 13 merged down to one lane prior to Rt. 1 coming down the ramp.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 24, 2018, 08:14:05 AM

It's a half-mile from the traffic light at Bear/Hamburg Roads, and 1/4 mile from the Rt. 71 intersections, to where Rt. 1 merges in.  Doing this just based on knowledge without looking at any traffic counts, there should be no traffic issues if Rt. 13 merged down to one lane prior to Rt. 1 coming down the ramp.
Fully agree.  For reference, a proper merge would be about 1,200' from the previous stop bar, leaving about 800' of lane ending and a 300' taper. The taper would start opposite the 1S-13N loop ramp and would finish at the 1S-13S physical gore - so plenty of room.

Roadsguy

Quote from: Alps on October 24, 2018, 08:23:09 AM

Fully agree.  For reference, a proper merge would be about 1,200' from the previous stop bar, leaving about 800' of lane ending and a 300' taper. The taper would start opposite the 1S-13N loop ramp and would finish at the 1S-13S physical gore - so plenty of room.

At least it'll be a moot point when they do the widening, though that will just raise the question of why is the southbound DE 1 "ramp" only two lanes?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 24, 2018, 09:13:29 AM

At least it'll be a moot point when they do the widening, though that will just raise the question of why is the southbound DE 1 "ramp" only two lanes?

Maybe to be a little cheap so they don't have to widen the Rt. 71 overpass for a 3rd lane, and/or so there doesn't need to be a merge where 1/13 meet?  Looking at the plans online, they show the ROW in that area, and the ROW ends right at the right shoulder's guardrail, so they would need to add the lane on the inside if they didn't want to purchase more land.

I'm thinking it would be nice.  The good thing about delaying a project is there's still time to go back and review the project, and/or bug DelDOT to convince them a 3rd lane will be needed.

Roadsguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 24, 2018, 10:20:51 AM

Maybe to be a little cheap so they don't have to widen the Rt. 71 overpass for a 3rd lane, and/or so there doesn't need to be a merge where 1/13 meet?  Looking at the plans online, they show the ROW in that area, and the ROW ends right at the right shoulder's guardrail, so they would need to add the lane on the inside if they didn't want to purchase more land.

I'm thinking it would be nice.  The good thing about delaying a project is there's still time to go back and review the project, and/or bug DelDOT to convince them a 3rd lane will be needed.

I wonder what the ratio is of traffic staying on DE 1 SB vs exiting for US 13 NB or DE 71. You might not have a merge, but you're still having an exit-only left lane.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

The Ghostbuster

Although I doubt any such plan has or will be proposed anytime soon, I think Delaware should make a sequential-to-milepost exit conversion. If such a conversion were implemented, I doubt SR-1's exits would be changed back to mileage-based. Also, since the US 301 toll road will have mileage-based exit numbers, maybe such a conversion should be considered.

vdeane

I'd like to see DE 1 convert to mile-based.  Unlike I-19, distance signs are in miles and mile markers are used, not km markers.  Thus, many of the benefits of mile-based numbers are lost (especially since, unlike Canada, my odometer would not be in metric mode when driving on it), and you're left only with the ability to add interchanges without suffixes.  The novelty ceases to be a draw for me when the benefit for the driver over sequential is only marginal.

Although it would be nice if we converted distances/speeds to metric.  Such would provide greater consistency with Canada and Mexico, and ease complaints about alphabet soup and numbers not changing by very much for distance-based exit numbering more developed areas.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ipeters61

Quote from: vdeane on October 24, 2018, 08:06:06 PM
I'd like to see DE 1 convert to mile-based.  Unlike I-19, distance signs are in miles and mile markers are used, not km markers.  Thus, many of the benefits of mile-based numbers are lost (especially since, unlike Canada, my odometer would not be in metric mode when driving on it), and you're left only with the ability to add interchanges without suffixes.  The novelty ceases to be a draw for me when the benefit for the driver over sequential is only marginal.

Although it would be nice if we converted distances/speeds to metric.  Such would provide greater consistency with Canada and Mexico, and ease complaints about alphabet soup and numbers not changing by very much for distance-based exit numbering more developed areas.
Well not only is there the issue with the other signage being in miles, but also, as an American, I honestly have no concept of what a kilometer is, because I've never used them for any actual reason and, let's face it, the vast majority of drivers on DE-1 are Americans who have no clue what a kilometer is either (yes I know 1 kilometer = 0.62 miles, but that requires me to do a conversion that is unnatural to me when measuring distances on a road like DE-1, I just know a handful of the mileposts (Exit 95 is mile 59, Exit 98 is mile 61, Exit 152 is mile 94, Exit 162 is mile 99, Exit 164-166 is mile 100)).

I've always had a joke that the only reason DE-1 uses kilometers is to make Delaware seem bigger than it really is.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

PHLBOS

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 24, 2018, 08:17:23 PM

Well not only is there the issue with the other signage being in miles, but also, as an American, I honestly have no concept of what a kilometer is, because I've never used them for any actual reason and, let's face it, the vast majority of drivers on DE-1 are Americans who have no clue what a kilometer is either (yes I know 1 kilometer = 0.62 miles, but that requires me to do a conversion that is unnatural to me when measuring distances on a road like DE-1, I just know a handful of the mileposts (Exit 95 is mile 59, Exit 98 is mile 61, Exit 152 is mile 94, Exit 162 is mile 99, Exit 164-166 is mile 100)).

I've always had a joke that the only reason DE-1 uses kilometers is to make Delaware seem bigger than it really is.
It's worth noting that when the older portions of the Expressway version of DE 1 first opened; the interchange numbering was, for a very short period, mileage-based.  Its conversion to the current km-based numbers occurred when DelDOT incorrectly assumed that the nationwide conversion to the metric system was going to restart after stalling for many years.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ipeters61

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 25, 2018, 09:13:21 AM
It's worth noting that when the older portions of the Expressway version of DE 1 first opened; the interchange numbering was, for a very short period, mileage-based.  Its conversion to the current km-based numbers occurred when DelDOT incorrectly assumed that the nationwide conversion to the metric system was going to restart after stalling for many years.
Knowing Delaware's "business friendly" reputation and the backlash that Connecticut faced when I-395 switched, I have a feeling DE-1 won't change, at least any time soon...not that any of the places on DE-1 north of Lewes and south of Christiana are real tourist destinations...
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 24, 2018, 10:20:51 AM

But they have plans to redo the whole interchange from the spilt on both sides of 1/13 & redo the 71 road as well.
https://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/sr1/sr1-wide/pdf/SR1-WideningWorkshopsPresentation.pdf

Maybe traffic is cause from them signing the Merge to early. There is plenty of enough room for traffic to merge. The 1 is pretty spacious.

iPhone

jp the roadgeek

Some of the exit numbers north of the 1/13 split do not match the milepost when converted. 162 should be at MP 100 (almost 101), and 164-166 would fall within MP 102-103.  My conversion exit numbers north of the split (which would be Exit 97)

Exit 99: US 40
Exit 100: DE 273
Exit 101: DE 7 SOUTH
Exit 102A (NB ONLY): Flyover ramp to I-95 North)
Exit 102B: (Local ramp to) I-95 North
Exit 102C: I-95 South
Exit 103: DE 58

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 25, 2018, 10:52:13 AM
Knowing Delaware's "business friendly" reputation and the backlash that Connecticut faced when I-395 switched, I have a feeling DE-1 won't change, at least any time soon...not that any of the places on DE-1 north of Lewes and south of Christiana are real tourist destinations...

I-395 in CT switched because the exit numbers were remnants from the CT Turnpike days, and were a continuation of I-95's numbers.  Much as DE 1 was used to test the effects of the metric system, CT used I-395 to test mileage based exits (except for the stretch near the casinos between I-95 and CT 2, it's pretty desolate).  A few years after the change, I don't hear much backlash other than it was money not well spent (we have a state fiscal crisis, but most people don't realize federal funding was used to make the changes, not state money. Same with sign replacement projects they complained about).  It wasn't an out and out revolt like the Cape Cod residents with US 6. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ipeters61

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 25, 2018, 03:45:09 PM

Some of the exit numbers north of the 1/13 split do not match the milepost when converted. 162 should be at MP 100 (almost 101), and 164-166 would fall within MP 102-103.  My conversion exit numbers north of the split (which would be Exit 97)

Exit 99: US 40
Exit 100: DE 273
Exit 101: DE 7 SOUTH
Exit 102A (NB ONLY): Flyover ramp to I-95 North)
Exit 102B: (Local ramp to) I-95 North
Exit 102C: I-95 South
Exit 103: DE 58

I-395 in CT switched because the exit numbers were remnants from the CT Turnpike days, and were a continuation of I-95's numbers.  Much as DE 1 was used to test the effects of the metric system, CT used I-395 to test mileage based exits (except for the stretch near the casinos between I-95 and CT 2, it's pretty desolate).  A few years after the change, I don't hear much backlash other than it was money not well spent (we have a state fiscal crisis, but most people don't realize federal funding was used to make the changes, not state money. Same with sign replacement projects they complained about).  It wasn't an out and out revolt like the Cape Cod residents with US 6.
My conversions from kilometers to miles were based on approximations from what I remembered, straight from memory.  I knew they weren't quite exact (I figured Exit 164-166 fit in more with Exit 101), I was just thinking of the guidelines I use when traveling on DE-1, considering that I need to travel from Dover to I-95 from time to time.  Typically, I take US-13 from the DE-1/US-13 split, though, just because I prefer to take the most direct route even if it's not the fastest, so I haven't been through the northernmost segment of DE-1 in a while.  Plus, I just personally like the idea of thinking of DE-1 as 100 miles, since it's just an easy number to remember (even though I think the highest posted mile marker is 103 or something, it just keeps things more straightforward in my head).

I was living in Connecticut at the time I-395 switched exits and am well aware of how the exit numbers were and am certainly cognizant of Connecticut's fiscal problems (even though, as you mentioned, federal dollars were used anyway), but I just was recalling the many Facebook comments and articles of people complaining about how it was a waste to change the exit numbers.
Instagram | Clinched Map

KEVIN_224

I'm perfectly fine with the Connecticut change (I live southwest of Hartford). I can't speak for DE Route 1 as I've never been on it. Could I-95 in DE ever convert to mile based exits? I'm guessing it's not worth the effort for I-495 in the Wilmington area?

froggie

As I recall, the backlash about the I-395 CT renumbering had more to do with "spending money on it" than the concept of "changing the numbers" did...

jeffandnicole

My conversions from kilometers to miles were based on approximations from what I remembered, straight from memory.  I knew they weren't quite exact (I figured Exit 164-166 fit in more with Exit 101), I was just thinking of the guidelines I use when traveling on DE-1, considering that I need to travel from Dover to I-95 from time to time.  Typically, I take US-13 from the DE-1/US-13 split, though, just because I prefer to take the most direct route even if it's not the fastest, so I haven't been through the northernmost segment of DE-1 in a while.  Plus, I just personally like the idea of thinking of DE-1 as 100 miles, since it's just an easy number to remember (even though I think the highest posted mile marker is 103 or something, it just keeps things more straightforward in my head).

Being that most people are bad at math, couldn't care less about kilometers and have no idea what the true conversion is, current Exit 162 could be Exit 101, 100, 28, 67, whatever!!  Most people won't have a clue what it should've been.

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 25, 2018, 05:47:47 PM
I'm perfectly fine with the Connecticut change (I live southwest of Hartford). I can't speak for DE Route 1 as I've never been on it. Could I-95 in DE ever convert to mile based exits? I'm guessing it's not worth the effort for I-495 in the Wilmington area?

They *could*, but since Delaware is so small it usually doesn't register on people's minds.  On both 95 and 495, the exit numbers would roughly double from what they are now.  Exit 5 on I-495 would be Exit 10, Exit 3 on I-95 would be Exit 6, etc.

I say this about their drivers also. Many people in NJ point to NY and PA drivers as being slow left lane hogs, but Delaware drivers are just as likely to be in that left lane, and have some extremely bad driving habits as well.  Since there's a lot fewer of them, they don't get noticed as much!

ipeters61

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 26, 2018, 08:55:26 AM
Being that most people are bad at math, couldn't care less about kilometers and have no idea what the true conversion is, current Exit 162 could be Exit 101, 100, 28, 67, whatever!!  Most people won't have a clue what it should've been.
What's more interesting is how far off the exit numbers are on the segments of DE-1 between Milford and Dover.  I have no idea why the exit for Bowers Beach Road/Clapham Road is Exit 88 when it's certainly more than 3 miles (or about 5km) between Exit 88 and 91!

Look at Exits 79 through 88
Instagram | Clinched Map

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 26, 2018, 08:55:26 AMExit 5 on I-495 would be Exit 10, Exit 3 on I-95 would be Exit 6, etc.
For grins & giggles; I did a couple of quick GSV mile marker observations.  You're not too far off in saying that I-95's & I-495's current numbers would double, in most instances, if converted.

Exit 5 off I-495 would be Exit 11.  MM 11.0 is located within the overall interchange footprint.

Exit 3 off I-95 would be Exit 7 due to the DE 273 overpass is located beyond MM 6.5.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 26, 2018, 10:48:47 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 26, 2018, 08:55:26 AMExit 5 on I-495 would be Exit 10, Exit 3 on I-95 would be Exit 6, etc.
For grins & giggles; I did a couple of quick GSV mile marker observations.  You're not too far off in saying that I-95's & I-495's current numbers would double, in most instances, if converted.

Exit 5 off I-495 would be Exit 11.  MM 11.0 is located within the overall interchange footprint.

Exit 3 off I-95 would be Exit 7 due to the DE 273 overpass is located beyond MM 6.5.

Exit numbers can vary, and often are within the MP, not rounded. There's no actual MUTCD guidance on this from what I can tell, and also depends on their relative locations to each other. Using 295 in NJ as an example, Exits 34 (MP 34.8), Exit 36 (36.9) and Exit 40 (40.6) are examples of such.  When you get to Exit 43 (mp 43.1), it retains the MP reference.  I-195 in NJ has a mix, especially between Exits 1 and 5.  Once you get to the NJ Turnpike and continue east, they appear to remain within the milepost number itself.  Exits 21 and 22 are nearly 2 miles away from each other: Exit 21 is at MP 21.05; Exit 22 is at 22.95!

Tonytone

Sorry to interrupt but, does delaware have high crash ratings for highway barriers & the ones that they put on exits to protect cars from smashing into the wall? The Newcastle 141 barrier gets hit every week on the ramp. I assume from the sharp curve. But it seems people take their turns to sharp or the barriers are just in the way.

iPhone

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 26, 2018, 12:34:43 PM

Exit numbers can vary, and often are within the MP, not rounded. There's no actual MUTCD guidance on this from what I can tell, and also depends on their relative locations to each other. Using 295 in NJ as an example, Exits 34 (MP 34.8), Exit 36 (36.9) and Exit 40 (40.6) are examples of such.  When you get to Exit 43 (mp 43.1), it retains the MP reference.  I-195 in NJ has a mix, especially between Exits 1 and 5.  Once you get to the NJ Turnpike and continue east, they appear to remain within the milepost number itself.  Exits 21 and 22 are nearly 2 miles away from each other: Exit 21 is at MP 21.05; Exit 22 is at 22.95!
How is 476 numbered? I thought it was in threes but after exit 9 it goes to 13?

iPhone

PHLBOS

Quote from: Tonytone on October 26, 2018, 12:55:51 PM

When the Blue Route portion of I-476, between I-95 & I-76 first opened circa Dec. 1991; the interchanges were sequentially numbered.  When PA adopted mile-marker-based interchange numbering circa 2000.  I-476's interchanges were renumbered with respect to where its mile markers were.  Although IMHO, the PA 3 interchange should've been renumbered to Exit 8 rather than 9 due to the actual PA 3 crossing occurs at/around I-476's MM 8.4.  PennDOT, in this case,  rounded upward rather than downward. 

OTOH, US 30 crosses I-476 at/around MM 13.1; so that interchange being Exit 13 is completely logical.

As J&N mentioned, there's no hard & fast rule for when to round up or down with respect to the mile markers.  As a result, there's bound to be some inconsistency for interchange numbering along a particular highway.  In the case of PA's conversion; at least a couple of interchanges had fudged conversions in order so that it's number didn't require a change. 

I-476's (Northeast Extension) Exit 31, by right should've changed to Exit 30 due to where PA 63 crossed I-476 but since the old number was only off by one; the PTC let the old number stand.

PennDOT also fudged a couple of numbers along I-95 in Delaware County so that no change to the existing interchange numbers was required for the southernmost 10 miles in PA.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ipeters61

Pennsylvania uses mile-based exits.  Any deviations you see on the PA Turnpike Northeast Extension segment (e.g. Exit 56) are likely due to the PA Turnpike Mainline having the exit number too, and they don't want to confuse motorists who have toll tickets (e.g. there is an Exit 57).
Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 26, 2018, 01:52:38 PM

When the Blue Route portion of I-476, between I-95 & I-76 first opened circa Dec. 1991; the interchanges were sequentially numbered.  When PA adopted mile-marker-based interchange numbering circa 2000.  I-476's interchanges were renumbered with respect to where its mile markers were.  Although IMHO, the PA 3 interchange should've been renumbered to Exit 8 rather than 9 due to the actual PA 3 crossing occurs at/around I-476's MM 8.4.  PennDOT, in this case,  rounded upward rather than downward. 

OTOH, US 30 crosses I-476 at/around MM 13.1; so that interchange being Exit 13 is completely logical.

As J&N mentioned, there's no hard & fast rule for when to round up or down with respect to the mile markers.  As a result, there's bound to be some inconsistency for interchange numbering along a particular highway.  In the case of PA's conversion; at least a couple of interchanges had fudged conversions in order so that it's number didn't require a change. 

I-476's (Northeast Extension) Exit 31, by right should've changed to Exit 30 due to where PA 63 crossed I-476 but since the old number was only off by one; the PTC let the old number stand.

PennDOT also fudged a couple of numbers along I-95 in Delaware County so that no change to the existing interchange numbers was required for the southernmost 10 miles in PA.
476 opened in 91? Wtf. That makes sense. Why not just renumber the whole system in the U.S to even everything out.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.