News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Cool Old Texas Sign Assembly Pic

Started by Brian556, January 06, 2011, 11:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Quillz

Interesting font choice for US 183.

Truvelo

Quote from: Quillz on January 07, 2011, 04:31:55 AM
Interesting font choice for US 183.

Flat topped 3's were used in Britain before the current font was introduced. Here's an example although the 3 is a slightly different shape to that in the Texas sign.

Speed limits limit life

Brian556

The Flat-top 3's were apperently common for a period of time. I know of a speed limit sign on a county road that had one of those on it.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brian556 on January 07, 2011, 01:05:51 PM
The Flat-top 3's were apperently common for a period of time. I know of a speed limit sign on a county road that had one of those on it.

I don't think I've ever seen a surviving flat-top 3.  I do know of some speed limit signs in Louisiana with their custom font, which also disappeared in the 1960s, but none in Texas.

now that I think about it, I don't believe I've ever seen a modern black square US route shield in Texas with the custom font - regardless of how old the photo was.  Those were introduced in 1965, from what I can tell, to echo the 1961 federal spec for intersections, replacing the cutouts with US and the arrow directly next to the number.  The reassurance markers remained Texas/US cutouts until 1969.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brian556

The speed limit sign I'm referring to still stands, and isn't over appx 10 years old. It's EG sheeting and is in good condition.

I found an old newspaper article about the modernization of Texas Route Marker signs in the mid 60's

US71

Quote from: Brian556 on January 07, 2011, 05:59:10 PM
The speed limit sign I'm referring to still stands, and isn't over appx 10 years old. It's EG sheeting and is in good condition.

I found an old newspaper article about the modernization of Texas Route Marker signs in the mid 60's

Do you have a link to it?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

is it this one?

1965.  that is when Texas adopted 1961-spec black squares for intersections, giving up on their unique cutouts with arrows within the shield.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brian556

That is not the one. The one i'm referring to is on NewpaperArchieve.com which is a site that you have to be a paying member of to access.

Alps

Though the "Listen to Your Wife" sign is one that should be in the MUTCD. *grin*

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.