News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

1972 EIS for the MA 2 Freeway from Acton to Lexington

Started by kernals12, January 10, 2021, 01:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Route_2_Improvements_in_Acton_Concord_Li/M5Q2AQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1

Since this was published, only one intersection, Crosby's Corner, has been replaced with an interchange, and that's not because of unwillingness from the locals, officials in Concord for years have been begging the state to do the same to the infamous rotary. The reason seems to be very simple; money, or lack of it.

Alps

Interesting. I thought there was local opposition along the corridor east of I-95 to improvements, despite the crash history. Something along the lines of encouraging traffic and ruining rural nature, blah blah the usual.

kernals12

Quote from: Alps on January 11, 2021, 12:34:10 AM
Interesting. I thought there was local opposition along the corridor east of I-95 to improvements, despite the crash history. Something along the lines of encouraging traffic and ruining rural nature, blah blah the usual.

It's already a 4 lane arterial, it's ruining rural nature as much as it can. Making it into a freeway is just a matter of replacing 8 more at-grade intersections with interchanges and building frontage roads.

rushfan01760

Quote from: kernals12 on January 10, 2021, 01:08:46 PM
https://www.google.com/books/edition/Route_2_Improvements_in_Acton_Concord_Li/M5Q2AQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1

Since this was published, only one intersection, Crosby's Corner, has been replaced with an interchange, and that's not because of unwillingness from the locals, officials in Concord for years have been begging the state to do the same to the infamous rotary. The reason seems to be very simple; money, or lack of it.

This might explain why Hanscom Drive (the 1/2 mile or so between Rte. 2A and the airport/Air Force Base split) feels more like a freeway than an access road.  [I remember back in the 70s there was a Speed Limit 50 sign at the beginning of the road.]  It would make sense if the plan was to have it be a connector road from a Rte. 2 freeway.

hotdogPi

Quoting one of my posts from the single ideas thread from 2018:

Quote from: 1 on March 08, 2018, 01:43:55 PM
Converting MA 2 so that it has no traffic lights between Acton and Lexington:

(list is from west to east)
1. MA 111 at end of freeway (no traffic light here, but still needs to be modified): Allow turnaround from westbound to eastbound.
2. Taylor Rd./Piper Rd.: RIRO; turning around is available at MA 111 while going westbound (after modification, see #1) and at the 2/119 rotary eastbound.
3. Elm St./Baker Ave. Ext.: RIRO. There will be interchange access at MA 62, which is close enough. Median U-turns might also be helpful here.
4. MA 62: Convert to interchange.
5. Old Road to 9 Acre Corner (strange street name): Overpass or underpass with no interchange. It's close enough to MA 62.
6. Sudbury Rd.: Something halfway between a RIRO with median U-turns on MA 2 and a rotary.
7. MA 126: Interchange. Just avoid the quadrant with Walden Pond.
8. Bedford Rd.: This is basically already an at-grade interchange. Just grade-separate it.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kernals12

Quote from: 1 on January 13, 2021, 08:20:44 AM

1. MA 111 at end of freeway (no traffic light here, but still needs to be modified): Allow turnaround from westbound to eastbound.
2. Taylor Rd./Piper Rd.: RIRO; turning around is available at MA 111 while going westbound (after modification, see #1) and at the 2/119 rotary eastbound.
3. Elm St./Baker Ave. Ext.: RIRO. There will be interchange access at MA 62, which is close enough. Median U-turns might also be helpful here.
5. Old Road to 9 Acre Corner (strange street name): Overpass or underpass with no interchange. It's close enough to MA 62.
6. Sudbury Rd.: Something halfway between a RIRO with median U-turns on MA 2 and a rotary.
8. Bedford Rd.: This is basically already an at-grade interchange. Just grade-separate it.

What's your plan for the Concord rotary? That's by far the worst at-grade intersection.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kernals12 on January 13, 2021, 10:02:39 AM

What's your plan for the Concord rotary? That's by far the worst at-grade intersection.

My goal above was to remove the traffic signals, which the Concord rotary does not have. As it's a 5-way intersection, a rotary is a good choice. The October (but not September) 2019 Google Street View shows that they clearly marked the outside and inside lanes, making it closer to a modern roundabout. If it really needs to be removed, they could make it a rotary interchange similar to 38/110 in Lowell, but I'm fine with the rotary by itself.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kernals12

Quote from: 1 on January 13, 2021, 01:54:27 PM

My goal above was to remove the traffic signals, which the Concord rotary does not have. As it's a 5-way intersection, a rotary is a good choice. The October (but not September) 2019 Google Street View shows that they clearly marked the outside and inside lanes, making it closer to a modern roundabout. If it really needs to be removed, they could make it a rotary interchange similar to 38/110 in Lowell, but I'm fine with the rotary by itself.

The Concord rotary is one of the most infamous intersections in the state. It's been the scene of many, many accidents. The town has been asking MassDOT for years to replace it with a full bore freeway interchange but the state hasn't found the money. The reason why they built the prison near that rotary is to scare the inmates. That damn thing needs to be destroyed and the ground on which it rests must be salted so nothing may grow.

machias

Quote from: kernals12 on January 13, 2021, 02:23:35 PM

The Concord rotary is one of the most infamous intersections in the state. It's been the scene of many, many accidents. The town has been asking MassDOT for years to replace it with a full bore freeway interchange but the state hasn't found the money. The reason why they built the prison near that rotary is to scare the inmates. That damn thing needs to be destroyed and the ground on which it rests must be salted so nothing may grow.

I drove through that rotary as part of my commute from 1988-1991 and even back then it was quite the feat. That's when Route 2 still had cross roads between Acton and the rotary.

paul02474

kernals12

kernals12

Quote from: machias on January 15, 2021, 06:07:17 PM

I drove through that rotary as part of my commute from 1988-1991 and even back then it was quite the feat. That's when Route 2 still had cross roads between Acton and the rotary.

Since Hanscom Air Force Base is nearby, I suggest they drop a bomb on it.

froggie

There haven't been fighters or bombers based at Hanscomb since 1973.  The base is largely R&D and logistics support.

Fun fact:  the Air Force doesn't actually own the airfield...the state does.  It's considered a general aviation airport and is operated by MassPort.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: machias on January 15, 2021, 06:07:17 PM

Honestly, it's not great now, but the lines and signs have made it better. What has definitely improved it is that they put a giant ROTARY sign coming in from the west, where I once saw a dude drive straight across it at 60 or so mph one night before that sign was there.

DJStephens

Quote from: Alps on January 11, 2021, 12:34:10 AM

The proposed improvements were to be W of route 128, (mainly Concord).  128 now has the dual 128 / I-95 label.  State Route 2 had been upgraded to freeway from 128 eastward to another infamous rotary in the mid to late sixties.  Six and eight lane cross - sections. The enormous trenched facility in the Belmont/Arlington area, with parallel frontages shows the scope of what was supposed be one of the main radials extending outward from downtown Boston.
   The section W of 128 became ever worse, with it's undivided four lane profile, sub-urbanization, gentrification, and growing traffic loads. It featured a steady death toll, until a band-aid in the form of a center double faced Jersey barrier was erected sometime in the nineties.   The more recent mainline 2 bridge replacements at the 2/128 cloverleaf, and the crosby's corner intersection re-do both appear to be of lower standards, with the 2 alignment shifted at the cloverleaf, and the crosby's interchange not of Interstate standard. 
   The failure to act, in the early to mid seventies, when it was cheaper, and far easier to do, illustrates the impotence of both the Sargent and then Dukakis administrations.    The six lane cross - section, interstate grade with grassed median, in Lexington, E of 128, should have been extended all the way W beyond the Concord rotary / Reformatory Circle to the split of state route 111. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.