News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

A non-roadgeek's road photos across America, 2010-

Started by wphiii, January 08, 2013, 08:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

Quote from: Brandon on January 09, 2013, 11:36:33 PM
Looking west through the lock on the Chicago River:

So strange.... the very first thing I thought of when I saw this pic was the theme from Siskel & Ebert.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

wphiii

Went for a little 800-mile drive last weekend, from Pittsburgh to DC to Harrisburg to Allentown and back to Pgh.

Escaping from the Turnpike on PA 201, approaching Chestnut Ridge, the westernmost ridge of the Appalachian Mountains in Pennsylvania.

PA 201 swooping down into Connellsville.

PA 653, I like the way it looks like two different roads from that angle.

PA 653 through Rockwood, PA

PA 516 just over the Mason-Dixon line, with very Pennsylvania-ish landscape.

State St, Harrisburg.

PA 309 with the ridge of Blue Mountain looming. Blue Mountain stretches for over 150 miles from south-central PA to the Delaware Water Gap, and effectively stands as the eastern "front" of the Appalachian ridge-and-valley province in Pennsylvania.

PA 309 still, getting ever closer to Blue Mountain

U.S. 209 through Pottsville, which, like many of the small coal towns in the region, greatly intrigues me.

Not a road per se, but the Millersburg Ferry is the only crossing of the Susquehanna for 40 miles between the bridges at Duncannon and Sunbury. Plus it's just fun to drive your car onto something that is straight out of the 1880s. And in general, just a lot more enjoyable than the Turnpike (and cheaper to boot).

PA 34 through Hunters Valley.

U.S. 22 at Mapleton Depot in the rain.

More U.S. 22, post-storm.

A few of Blair County's windmills visible from Hollidaysburg at dusk.

Power plant visible from U.S. 22 belching smoke into the gloaming.

A little bit of evening fog as the sun sets.

U.S. 22 chains and big boxes.

PenguinXL2

adventurernumber1

I'll say, all these on this thread are wonderful pics.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

wphiii

About a month ago I undertook a Denver --> San Francisco --> Los Angeles expedition, which naturally resulted in some fun road photo opportunities.

U.S. 36 swooping down into Estes Park.

Escaping from the RMNP throngs on CO 7

CO 119, part of the "Peak to Peak" Highway

More CO 119, in a scene I thought evoked Tennessee's standard license plate.

I-70 westbound, somewhere near Vail.

wphiii

Green River, UT: Long St, running off to the Bookcliffs.

U.S. 6 in central Utah.

This aptly sums up the desolation of that part of the country.

U.S. 6 past Helper, getting into some terrain.

U.S. 191 passing underneath what seems to be some kind of mining apparatus.

U.S. 191 as the Indian Canyon Scenic Byway.

U.S. 40 approaching the Wasatch Front outside Heber City.

wphiii

I-80 through the Bonneville Salt Flats. Even going 90 mph those mountains never seemed to get any closer, I can only imagine how torturous this journey must have been for the early westward pioneers.

Nevada sunset, I-80.

C St (NV 341) through the well-preserved (if not a little gimmicky) Wild West town of Virginia City, NV.

The traffic-clogged approach to the Golden Gate Bridge.

Coming across the Golden Gate Bridge.

PCH scenes, southbound from the Bay.

Roadrunner75

Really nice photos.  It makes me jealous of people who live in states that aren't pancake flat.

kkt

wphiii

Been doing quite a bit of traipsing around Maryland as the summer has drawn to a close...

The Bay Bridge

MD 445 through the Eastern Neck Wildlife Refuge

Townsend Rd. descending from Gathland State Park atop South Mountain

U.S. Alt 40 through Middletown

I-68 through the Sideling Hill road cut

U.S. Alt 40 through the Cumberland Narrows

I know, I know....I just can't resist.

Roadrunner75

More great photos.  Now I'm ready for another road trip.

kkt

Zeffy

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on October 23, 2014, 11:56:56 PM

These photos make me want to take a roadtrip that involves being more than 60 miles away from my house. The last time that happened was in 1998 when I moved from Florida into New Jersey. But I can only remember various things about that trip!!! Oh, the things that I wish I could experience... :-(

My personal favorites of your newest set of pictures are the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and the cut through Sideling Hill on I-68. I-68 looks very beautiful for an Interstate, from what I've seen on GMSV and from others' photos of the highway.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

adventurernumber1

@Zeffy, there is nothing harder for a young roadgeek than a lack of road trips. I have been very fortunate in that I have been on a good bit of road trips in my life (usually for vacation and on mission trips). If only I could have been on more drives in general if my parents didnt hate driving  :-D

@wphiii, awesome pics once again! You may not claim to be a roadgeek but your pictures make a roadgeek smile!  :spin:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Zeffy on October 24, 2014, 12:19:21 PM

These photos make me want to take a roadtrip that involves being more than 60 miles away from my house. The last time that happened was in 1998 when I moved from Florida into New Jersey. But I can only remember various things about that trip!!! Oh, the things that I wish I could experience... :-(

My personal favorites of your newest set of pictures are the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and the cut through Sideling Hill on I-68. I-68 looks very beautiful for an Interstate, from what I've seen on GMSV and from others' photos of the highway.

1. Get job.  Anything that pays.  Suck it up and save–if you're living rent-free, it's the freest money you'll ever know.

2. Take long weekend, pick random direction, go. 

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 25, 2014, 11:50:55 AM

Quote from: Zeffy on October 24, 2014, 12:19:21 PM

1. Get job.  Anything that pays.  Suck it up and save–if you're living rent-free, it's the freest money you'll ever know.

2. Take long weekend, pick random direction, go.

This

Road geeking is an expensive hobby but it's one of the most fulfilling.

andy3175

Great job showing off some of the best roads in the United States. I have really enjoyed them. I look forward to seeing more.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

wphiii

Apologies for what is going to be a big dump all at once, due in part the painstaking process of porting all of my photos over to Flickr. This has been long overdue move that was finally spurred by getting fed up once and for all with Facebook's irritating tendency to arbitrarily change the URLs of a given photo's direct link every few months, resulting in broken img tags galore. So without further ado, here's what I've been up to over the last year as it pertains to fun pictures of roads...

View of the Boston skyline as you come into Cambridge on MA 2 (10/14)

Narrow streets of the Beacon Hill neighborhood in Boston (10/14)

Unusual vantage point of the I-376 Fort Pitt Bridge & Tunnel in Pittsburgh (11/14)

Covered bridge in Wayne National Forest, SE Ohio (11/14)

Overlooking Transmountain Dr (Texas Loop 375) from a spot in the Franklin Mountains (12/14)

Low clouds enshrouding the Franklin Mountains as seen from I-10 in El Paso (12/14)

wphiii

PA 981 snaking towards the borough of Mt. Pleasant atop the hill (5/15)

PA 31 constituting Mt. Pleasant's Main St, running towards the Doughboy memorial and Chestnut Ridge beyond. Note the weird PA 819 assembly with its hand-modified "double-headed" arrow (5/15)

The serene (and well-worn) PA 130 through the cool shade of the Laurel Highlands (5/15)

The leafy canopy and stately homes of PA 271 forms a most unexpected entrance into Johnstown (5/15)

Stay on 271 through the city, and this is more along the lines of what I would expect (5/15)

PA 869 through the southern end of Morrison's Cove, a valley almost completely encircled by Appalachian ridges to create a sort of "lost world" (5/15)

wphiii

PA 28 northeast of Kittanning, after it stops being an expressway and gets fun (6/15)

PA 145 through exurban Allentown, with the ever-present Blue Mountain ridge in the distance

PA 873 in Slatington

PA 93 through the decaying husk of Hazleton, once the major hub for the southern Coal Region

Ashland, PA's interminable Centre St (PA 54)

And then there's Trevorton's main street (PA 225), which appears to terminate into a gigantic slag heap

Dusky U.S. 522 on the other side of the Susquehanna, in the less extraction-marred portion of central PA

Divided 4-lane portion of U.S. 22/522 west of Lewistown at nightfall

wphiii

Old National Road (U.S. 40) west of Hagerstown, MD (6/15)

MD 57 winding towards Tuscarora Mountain and the Mason/Dixon line (6/15)

PA 75 north of Mercersburg (6/15)

One of my favorite roads in Nashville, Old Natchez Trace. The narrowness of the road, low stone walls, and dense canopies of trees makes you feel as if you've been transported to another time (7/15)

Panorama from atop the double-arch bridge that carries the Natchez Trace Pkwy over TN 96 (7/15)

View of the bridge from ground level (7/15)

I walk past this little cul-de-sac (Roslyn Place, Pittsburgh) every day on my way to work, and only recently did I learn that it's apparently the only entirely wood-paved street left in the U.S. (9/15)

A bear in the woods, Catoctin Mountains, Maryland (10/15)

In the Laurel Highlands, October snow...

~30 miles west, sunshine and blue skies

Mr_Northside

The serene (and well-worn) PA 130 through the cool shade of the Laurel Highlands (5/15)

My home growing up (and where my parents still live) is about 2 miles from this spot, on a road off of Rt. 130 even windier and more narrow than this.
There are some spots near here (and possibly one along 130 real close by) where, if you can see between the trees (or there is a clearing), and it's a nice crisp, clear day, you can see the USX & Mellon Towers on the horizon (and even more downtown Pittsburgh buildings if you have binoculars).
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Tom958

andy3175

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

xcellntbuy

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.