News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

Thank you my fellow roadgeeks! Now back to the news in Connecticut.

kernals12

I drove the Merritt Parkway for the first time last week (twice actually), and I loved it. I just don't understand why they can't add breakdown lanes.

DJ Particle

Quote from: kernals12 on August 01, 2021, 02:17:48 PM
I drove the Merritt Parkway for the first time last week (twice actually), and I loved it. I just don't understand why they can't add breakdown lanes.

Because they wanted to make it appear more scenic.  It's basically designed to be a park in the form of a freeway.  However, like most of the Mid-Cape Highway on Cape Cod, there's enough of a dirt/grass shoulder if by chance you do break down.

shadyjay

Drove the length of Route 9 today to check on sign replacement:

Southern contract, I-95 to Exit 16: 
Many new sheet aluminum signs up, including speed limits, reassurance shields, town line markers, and... mile markers! 

Middle contract, Exit 18 to Exit 24:
New extruded aluminum guide signs up for Exits 18, 19, 20.  No sheet aluminum signs.  New entrance signs up at Exit 23.

Northern contract, Exit 25 to I-84:
Not much progress.  Crews seen installing new Exit 29 guide signs. 

A sampling of new:

CT9NB-DeepRiverT/L by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

CT9NB-Exit18-2 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

CT9SB-Exit20S by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

And the rest....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/sets/72157719337442409/with/51353622154/

The Ghostbuster

So they replaced the signs on CT 9 with the existing sequential numbers? I would have hoped that the new signs would have had mileage-based numbers, but it appears that will have to wait.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 02, 2021, 05:55:45 PM
So they replaced the signs on CT 9 with the existing sequential numbers? I would have hoped that the new signs would have had mileage-based numbers, but it appears that will have to wait.

They tried it on CT 72 at one exit and it lasted a week.  Changes will be made once the highway re-signing is complete.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

shadyjay

The renumbering of all exits on CT 9 is actually part of the southern contract.  The middle and northern contracts are retaining their existing exit numbers.  Then when the southern contract comes in, the plans state the brand new exit tabs will be replaced with new ones with the mile-based numbers.  This could be why we're seeing sheet aluminum signs go up first on the southern contract and extruded aluminum signs on the other two.  Still seems like a waste and that the new signs should be designed with the new exit numbers from the get-go, overlayed with the existing sequential numbers.  Then when the southern contract comes in, they can remove the overlays. 

But this is coming from the same DOT that has just released a contract to replace signs on I-91 from Exit 9 in North Haven to Exit 18 in Meriden.  The Exits 16-18 signs are being replaced, even though they'll replace them again in a few years after they rebuild the I-91/I-691/CT 15 interchange, moving all the ramps around.  What is cool about those contract plans for the Exits 9-18 project is that they will be adding the Wilbur Cross Pkwy logo to the southbound I-91 signs for Exit 17. 

abqtraveler

Quote from: shadyjay on August 02, 2021, 11:17:04 PM
The renumbering of all exits on CT 9 is actually part of the southern contract.  The middle and northern contracts are retaining their existing exit numbers.  Then when the southern contract comes in, the plans state the brand new exit tabs will be replaced with new ones with the mile-based numbers.  This could be why we're seeing sheet aluminum signs go up first on the southern contract and extruded aluminum signs on the other two.  Still seems like a waste and that the new signs should be designed with the new exit numbers from the get-go, overlayed with the existing sequential numbers.  Then when the southern contract comes in, they can remove the overlays. 

But this is coming from the same DOT that has just released a contract to replace signs on I-91 from Exit 9 in North Haven to Exit 18 in Meriden.  The Exits 16-18 signs are being replaced, even though they'll replace them again in a few years after they rebuild the I-91/I-691/CT 15 interchange, moving all the ramps around.  What is cool about those contract plans for the Exits 9-18 project is that they will be adding the Wilbur Cross Pkwy logo to the southbound I-91 signs for Exit 17.
The Wilbur Cross Parkway has a logo? When did that come out? I've never seen a logo for the Wilbur Cross Parkway before...only the Merritt.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: abqtraveler on August 03, 2021, 10:16:06 AM

The Wilbur Cross Parkway has a logo? When did that come out? I've never seen a logo for the Wilbur Cross Parkway before...only the Merritt.

Found this on Alpsroads

Any link to the project plans?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

shadyjay

The elusive Wilbur Cross Parkway logo is not posted on any guide signs at present, but these plans, released recently for ConnDOT's I-91 Exits 9-18 sign replacement show it will soon make it to the spotlight.  Strange, though, that the control city will also be "W. Cross Pkwy". 

wcp by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

No direct link to the contract plans... you have to navigate through the CTsource Bid Board...
https://portal.ct.gov/DAS/CTSource/BidBoard

Then put the following in the *green* search bar:  0100-0180

abqtraveler

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 03, 2021, 01:05:43 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on August 03, 2021, 10:16:06 AM

Found this on Alpsroads

Any link to the project plans?
Alrighty then...the Wilbur Cross Parkway has its own shield. First time I've seen one. Where was that picture taken?
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

abqtraveler

Quote from: shadyjay on August 03, 2021, 05:08:34 PM
The elusive Wilbur Cross Parkway logo is not posted on any guide signs at present, but these plans, released recently for ConnDOT's I-91 Exits 9-18 sign replacement show it will soon make it to the spotlight.  Strange, though, that the control city will also be "W. Cross Pkwy". 

No direct link to the contract plans... you have to navigate through the CTsource Bid Board...

Then put the following in the search bar:  0100-0180
It seems to be duplicative to have the Wilbur Cross Parkway shield and below it "W. Cross Parkway." They should put a control city instead.

shadyjay

That WCP shield in the wild was on CT 63 in New Haven, approaching CT 15 Exit 59.  It's gone now, with an intersection reconstruction project. 

Only other spot where I can recall seeing that shield was at the south (US 1) end of the Milford Parkway.  It got removed when the Milford Pkwy got new signs (and exit numbers) several years back.  That's not to say a backroad to the WCP doesn't have a WCP shield somewhere, similar to the backwoods of Greenwich, which hung on to old CT 15 state outline shields and other oddities for many years (and may still).

Any ideas for a proper control city for Exit 17 southbound?  Honestly, since its not found anywhere else and not posted on the parkway itself, the shield isn't necessary.  You could sign it also as "New Haven" but that could confuse some people.  If you're going to New Haven, most people are going to the New Haven that's accessible off I-91 or I-95.  You could sign it "NY City" but that would freak out the truckers.  There's not really a good control city to post for CT 15 South directly from I-91 South. 

Old Dominionite

Quote from: shadyjay on August 02, 2021, 01:39:40 PM
Drove the length of Route 9 today to check on sign replacement:

Southern contract, I-95 to Exit 16: 
Many new sheet aluminum signs up, including speed limits, reassurance shields, town line markers, and... mile markers! 

Middle contract, Exit 18 to Exit 24:
New extruded aluminum guide signs up for Exits 18, 19, 20.  No sheet aluminum signs.  New entrance signs up at Exit 23.

Northern contract, Exit 25 to I-84:
Not much progress.  Crews seen installing new Exit 29 guide signs. 

A sampling of new:

CT9NB-DeepRiverT/L by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

CT9NB-Exit18-2 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

CT9SB-Exit20S by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

And the rest....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/sets/72157719337442409/with/51353622154/

The "99"  and "372"  signs are awful. Not only is the font size too small, the contractor can't even center it properly in the square! I'm glad I no longer drive on Route 9 daily. These signs would drive me nuts.

SectorZ

Quote from: abqtraveler on August 03, 2021, 05:11:16 PM

It seems to be duplicative to have the Wilbur Cross Parkway shield and below it "W. Cross Parkway." They should put a control city instead.

Conspiracy theory on this one, the state would rather not list a control city since a trucker *may* see that and ignore the truck restriction part underneath. Just my two cents. Doubt I am right but I could be.

Old Dominionite

Quote from: SectorZ on August 03, 2021, 07:50:55 PM

Conspiracy theory on this one, the state would rather not list a control city since a trucker *may* see that and ignore the truck restriction part underneath. Just my two cents. Doubt I am right but I could be.

Perhaps, but the state has inconsistent signing practices. Control cities appear at US 7 and CT 25 SB, but not at CT 25 NB or CT 8. Also, control cities appear on nearly all CT 15 onramps, including at busy truck arteries like CT 34.

I think the state should keep the parkway shields off all guide signs, and only place them beneath CT 15 reassurance shields. I’m ambivalent about posting any control cities at all on CT 15.

connroadgeek

Parkway south should be signed with N.Y. City as the control city. No reason it should be any different than I-95. That yellow "passenger vehicles only" panel should be white since it's a regulatory sign.

storm2k

Basically following NJDOT rules for roads like this it feels like. The Turnpike and Parkway are listed with "NJ Turnpike" or "GS Parkway" (or "Garden State Parkway") in almost all situations for control cities even though they post their shields. Also, that no trucks panel should be black on white, not black on yellow. It's a regulation, not a warning.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on August 04, 2021, 12:03:45 AM

Basically following NJDOT rules for roads like this it feels like. The Turnpike and Parkway are listed with "NJ Turnpike" or "GS Parkway" (or "Garden State Parkway") in almost all situations for control cities even though they post their shields. Also, that no trucks panel should be black on white, not black on yellow. It's a regulation, not a warning.
Also A C Expwy is its own destination. It seems to just be a thing that is done with named roads.

Old Dominionite

Randomly came across and saw the movie "Jacknife"  with Robert DeNiro and Ed Harris on Amazon Prime. While I thought the movie overall features some great acting, it also features some great shots of CT roadways circa 1988 (the movie was almost completely filmed on location in central/western Connecticut).

Of note:
- Route 8 in the Beacon Falls/Naugatuck area
- I-84 in downtown Waterbury (seen through the windows of a tractor trailer cab)
- Route 8 northbound in Thomaston prior to Exit 38
- Route 8 southbound in Watertown prior to Exit 37
- Route 66 westbound in Meriden at the I-91/I-691 interchange
- Broad Street (Route 5) in Meriden

Guide signs can be briefly seen in many of the expressway shots. Clearly, these signs all date from when the expressways were originally built, and given that it was 1988, they were on the cusp of being replaced. The shot from Route 66 shows a pull-through sign "recently"  modified with a I-691 shield.

Anyway, the movie was decent, but brought back vivid memories of Connecticut's roads as I primarily remember them as a kid.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Old Dominionite on August 04, 2021, 04:07:22 AM
Randomly came across and saw the movie "Jacknife"  with Robert DeNiro and Ed Harris on Amazon Prime. While I thought the movie overall features some great acting, it also features some great shots of CT roadways circa 1988 (the movie was almost completely filmed on location in central/western Connecticut).

Of note:
- Route 8 in the Beacon Falls/Naugatuck area
- I-84 in downtown Waterbury (seen through the windows of a tractor trailer cab)
- Route 8 northbound in Thomaston prior to Exit 38
- Route 8 southbound in Watertown prior to Exit 37
- Route 66 westbound in Meriden at the I-91/I-691 interchange
- Broad Street (Route 5) in Meriden

Guide signs can be briefly seen in many of the expressway shots. Clearly, these signs all date from when the expressways were originally built, and given that it was 1988, they were on the cusp of being replaced. The shot from Route 66 shows a pull-through sign "recently"  modified with a I-691 shield.

Anyway, the movie was decent, but brought back vivid memories of Connecticut's roads as I primarily remember them as a kid.
Another interesting observation, the scene on southbound Route 8 was at a time when most of Route 8 still had its original concrete surface. They started overlaying Route 8's concrete surface with asphalt in the 1990s, and I don't think there are any sections of Route 8 left that are still concrete.

kernals12

ConnDOT made this chart in 2018 to illustrate usable ROW along I-95 in Fairfield County. I don't understand what's so hard about adding an extra lane in each direction, in fact given the area in blue, it looks like they could fit 12 lanes. Is it the interchanges that are the problem?

connroadgeek

Quote from: kernals12 on August 05, 2021, 07:01:11 PM

ConnDOT made this chart in 2018 to illustrate usable ROW along I-95 in Fairfield County. I don't understand what's so hard about adding an extra lane in each direction, in fact given the area in blue, it looks like they could fit 12 lanes. Is it the interchanges that are the problem?
The bridges are probably the biggest issue. You'd hope as they replace overpasses they'd widen them out to accommodate future widening like they did with the Exit 73 Society Rd replacement bridge.

Duke87

I approve of this highly. Long live the West Cross Parkway!
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: SectorZ on August 03, 2021, 07:50:55 PM

In this case, it might be an overhead clearance issue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.