News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What is the difference between HOT lanes and tollways?

Started by ACSCmapcollector, October 11, 2016, 07:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSCmapcollector

To my curiousity, What is the difference between HOT lanes and tollways? Just want to find out.

hotdogPi

A HOT lane is a single lane, while a tollway is an entire roadway; a tollway has no free lanes.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jrouse

HOT lanes also allow high-occupancy vehicles to travel without paying a toll.   With a tollway or a toll lane all vehicles pay.

iPhone

myosh_tino

Since this is not specific to the Pacific Southwest, I think this should be moved to General Highway Talk.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1 on October 11, 2016, 07:33:27 PM
A HOT lane is a single lane, while a tollway is an entire roadway; a tollway has no free lanes.

This will change when I-66 inside the beltway is transformed over the next few years...the entire roadway will be HOT lanes during rush hour.

Also not sure if you meant literally that a HOT lane is exactly 1 lane.  There are HOT facilities in Virginia with 2 and 3 lanes...

1995hoo

jrouse summarizes it pretty well. A more accurate name for HO/T would be "high-occupancy OR toll" (hence that slash). EITHER you meet the HOV requirement OR you pay a toll. Naturally, the requirements and the configurations vary from place to place around the country. In Miami, for example, you have to register as a carpool, whereas here in Virginia to ride free you need three or more people and an E-ZPass Flex transponder that has a switch to activate "HOV mode." (When the inside-the-Beltway I-66 facility Mapmikey mentions begins operation, it'll require two or more people and an E-ZPass Flex for the first few years until the number rises to three in 2020).

HO/T lanes differ from "express toll lanes" in that the latter don't have the HOV exemption–all traffic using them must pay.

A "tollway," or toll road as I more typically hear them called, applies the toll to all lanes and, generally, to all traffic. Conceivably you could have a toll road that also has HO/T or express toll lanes–essentially, you'd pay a toll to use the road, then pay another toll to bypass congestion on said road. There's been discussion of HO/T lanes on the Homestead Extension in Florida, though I don't know anything about the status of the proposal.

One of the hallmarks of HO/T lanes is variable tolling: the toll rises and falls as more or less traffic is using the lanes, the idea being that raising the toll will cause fewer people to use them and therefore keep traffic moving at speed. In my unscientific experience this seems to work pretty well on the I-495 HO/T lanes in Virginia. Most regular toll roads don't have variable tolling, though some do (the ICC in Maryland is one) and it may become routine on any new toll roads, especially in urban areas. All-electronic toll collection makes this a lot more feasible than it was in the past.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 12, 2016, 07:34:46 AM
Most regular toll roads don't have variable tolling, though some do (the ICC in Maryland is one) and it may become routine on any new toll roads, especially in urban areas. All-electronic toll collection makes this a lot more feasible than it was in the past.

Some roads, such as the NJ Turnpike & DE 1, have static variable tolling for EZ Pass users, providing for a different price if you enter the road at certain times versus other times.  The price will always remain the same based on those times regardless of the amount of traffic.

Cash users will always pay the same price, which is the most expensive price.

1995hoo

Sure. That wasn't what I meant by "variable tolling," of course, but it's valid.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.