News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Things every roadgeek should know

Started by webny99, December 21, 2017, 06:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: Rothman on May 21, 2018, 06:16:14 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 21, 2018, 03:28:31 PM
Quote from: jon daly on May 21, 2018, 02:45:55 PM
Is there a roadgeek dictionary? I know that clinching a route means driving or riding the entire distance, but what does it mean to clinch a county?

There's no dictionary because definitions vary.  For example:

Clinching a route: Most people are going to allow for getting off and back on at an interchange.  There may be a half-mile or so of roadway that you didn't clinch, but most people are fine with missing that short stretch of roadway.  However, exiting at Exit 29 and re-entering at Exit 30, because it's convenient to do so, is generally not considered clinching, even if the interchanges are only the same half-mile apart.  Also, driving a highway one direction is all that is needed by most for it to be considered clinched.

For counties, most are fine with just entering it; a few hard core people must go to the actual town and/or the courthouse or other principal building.

In the end, it's all on the honor system and your conscience; no one is going to know if you fully clinched something or not.  One example coming up: Many people have clinched I-295 in DE & NJ.  However, soon it's going to be signed into PA as well.  Some may feel that it's now 'unclinched' and they'll drive the newly signed section from US 1 (NJ) to the PA Turnpike (PA) in order to re-clinch it.  Same thing with the new section of 95 on the PA Turnpike, although few people have truly clinched all of I-95.
You forgot the truly nutty: County high pointers and yes, it is a thing.

I know people who make a point of bagging county high points.  I keep track of the state high points I've been to, though I don't really make it a center of my life.

jon daly

I heard of high pointers elsewhere.

I laugh when folks discuss counties. We don't really have them in Connecticut, but I clinched them all years ago. I'll have to check, but I have most of the rest of NE, too, plus some other states.

TheHighwayMan3561

Since this question seems to be asked a lot:

Q: Why are there are no non-Interstate routes inside of I-465 around Indianapolis?

A: The state was looking to save mileage under its constitutional mileage cap, so it turned back everything else and routed all of those routes onto I-465.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.